Author Topic: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo  (Read 81859 times)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: HLPX-COM 2: Electric Shot From Deep One Boogaloo
Figures.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Spoonzer Elite: T'Leth Part 3
Final level, final assault. Trivia note: neither the minimap nor the save feature work here. The Ultimate Alien is a metagaming bastard.

The greeting party is a single Lobsterman with a Disruptor Pulse Launcher and a lack of the will to use it. He gets killed by one of the tanks. More troublesome is the likelihood we'll have to blast out paths for the Tiger Sharks again.

Note that this place looks like nothing else we've ever seen.

Sonic weapons are ineffective in blasting out a path for the Spoonzers, so it's time to go to the bigger guns. Once that's done, the tanks advance into the next room, confronting several Lobstermen with a mix of DPLs and stun launchers.

The DPL Lobsterman is taken down at once as a priority target. Stun bombs are not effective against Displacers. At least one Sectoid stuns itself firing on the lead Tiger Shark, while other Sectoids and Lobstermen are dispatched by the guns of the three Spoonzers as they push forward. The aliens put up a stalwart resistance, but without the proper weapons to harm armor it is futile. The last standing Lobsterman flees, but is trapped by one of the Tiger Sharks before he can reach the temporary safety of a door the Displacers can't pass through. It turns for a final stand, firing its ineffective weapon one more time...and stuns itself, while the tank watches in silence.

This spasm of resistance over, Disruptor Pulses are used to clear the way for the advance of HLPX-COM armor. I should note that the last two levels, M.C. attacks have been completely absent. They were dirt common on the first, but nothing stuck.

The grim black Tiger Sharks push on. Two Deep Ones fall to one of the tanks, while another spots one of the Nautilus creatures that killed Mongoose. Again a single round was not sufficient to dispose of the creature, but it did not return fire this time.

It returns fire on its own turn. Damage is severe to the Tiger Shark, but not enough to stop it, and it kills the alien creature.

These guys really, really do not get it about stun bombs not stopping tanks. They keep trying and keep dying for their troubles. Neither do the Tentaculats get that tanks are immune to them.

More DPL fire to clear the way for the tanks. At this point the only real threat to the mission appears to be that we might run out of Disruptor Pulses. In counterpoint to that, we still have nine people with Sonic Cannons that haven't even engaged the enemy on this level yet.

We eventually break out into this large open area.

It's empty. We haven't encountered any hostiles in some time now.

More Disruptor Pulses to clear out doorways. We're getting close to the end of our stock by now, and the end of that we've grabbed off dead aliens.

Fortunately we're also getting close to the end of this maze. One more long hallway; one more set of doors. Through them, one of the nautiliod creatures attempts to bar the way, but it is no match for three Tiger Sharks. The tanks spread out, scouring this room. No other enemies present themselves.

The last door falls before a Disruptor Pulse launched by Hades. A wall of mobile black metal and Aqua Plastics fills the entrance.

Lovecraft was wrong!

No force more terrible, no force more powerful, than the works of human hands.

Mission...Complete.

Munitions Expenditure: 17 Disruptor Pulses, 35 Displacer/Sonic shots. Casualties: One Tiger Shark seriously damaged, one Tiger Shark lightly damaged.

A few aliens escaped T'Leth while it was in its death spasms, via UFOs. Most of them were shot down by member nation naval units on the scene, the Leviathan, or Avenger 1, which was reactivated in anticipation of this very thing. Some had space-capable craft and managed to make it offworld, preferring to face the Ethereal Empire rather than a vengeful HLPX-COM. They carry with them tales of huge, jet-black monsters that can not be stopped by any craft of mortals and terrible human implements called "spoons".
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
And the Spoonzer Elite carries the day.

Out of curiousity, what date did the actual T'Leth assault happen?  I've gotta get my dates straight for the long-overdue journal entry coming up.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Out of curiousity, what date did the actual T'Leth assault happen?  I've gotta get my dates straight for the long-overdue journal entry coming up.

September 2nd, just after midnight in GMT.

A Feddie Story

Offline Madcat

Personal Log, Madcat:

Mission accomplished! And I even got to clear a room...!

But once again, it is beyond my comprehension how the commander was able to get us through that assault with so little casualties. It seemed all far to easy, almost as if the outcome was predetermined. His skills seemed to be just inhuman, sometimes even scarily so.
Now, after our return from T'Leth, I should be happy and cheerful, but actually I'm left wondering. I'm almost too afraid to think about it... but could it be possible that maybe... maybe... HE IS THE ALIENS!?

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Personal log, Commander Roberts.  Callsign "Scotty"
X-COM base "WestLant"
2 September 2040

The Second Alien War is over, and we won it.  Just like the last one.  Just like the next one.  I've put boots on the ground and flown head to head against the first alien menace, and dueled deep beneath the sea to fight the second.  I've taken hits, come back with half the ship I left with, and still gone out time and time again.  Now, at the tender age of 60, I find myself simultaneously the oldest surviving and highest scoring ace since the Second World War.  I've been to the skies and into the seas.  Landed on Mars and plumbed the deepest depths of the darkest oceans.  I've shot down or sunk any kind of alien craft you can care to name, and survived.

But now, it's time to go home.  I'm handing in my commission to spend as many years as I can muster with what family I have left.

Until the next war.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Mission accomplished! And I even got to clear a room...!

You actually took a shot or two on the first level, and everybody shot things (for demolition) in the second, but there was just...very little resistance, in the parts where the primary fighting fell on the infantry. It surprised me a lot. I was expecting Sectoids with Disruptor Pulse Launchers around every corner in the first part, but if I had to guess there were ten or fewer of them on the whole map in reality. The second couldn't have had more than one or two other aliens we didn't actually fight, considering how much of the map we blanketed. So that would mean there were...maybe six or seven of them on the whole map?

And the third, well, we had to go everywhere and we definitely killed everything. At the end after the tanks shot the Hallucinoid in the last room, the game didn't even bother with an alien turn.

A Feddie Story

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
We did it men, we kicked their asses again. It... took a lot, getting my spoonzer's to do all this work... But I did it for Earth, and you, my comrades.

And now... I can finally rest...
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Sandwich's Personal Log, Date: September 3rd, 2040

Mission accomplished, and I'm going home... and just in time for my 33rd anniversary, too. My wife will be pleased. :)

Gotta buy Spoon a round of drinks - his tanks took the brunt of the final assault, and probably saved most of our lives. Shame we weren't able to get to Mongoose in time... that one will haunt me till the day I die.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think it was the relative lack of casualties, unfamiliarity with TFTD, or a general surfeit of tension, but I just couldn't get into this one the way I did the last one.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I think it was the relative lack of casualties, unfamiliarity with TFTD, or a general surfeit of tension, but I just couldn't get into this one the way I did the last one.

Don't really blame you on that. To be honest I felt almost the same way, since I know TFTD so well. This wasn't as much fun for me personally.

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Tanks make it too easy. :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Subject: "z64-555"
Log: 290
Date: [Corrupted Data]

@(*&#^ if the log is (A...+= ay, since my recor[corrupted]. We managed to )(*37 T'leth, and (*& only #^& casul[corrupted]

We're on our way back to )(*#, so hopefully I can fi) &*is blasted thing. It started to malfunction )( @9on as we got near T'leth, possibly due to *$*vy MC activi@!

[Debug Log]
>: set mode
:VOICE TO TEXT...Error!
:VOICE RECORD...Error!
:TEXT...Ok
:?
>:text
:Recorder mode set to TEXT
>: exit
:Logging out from Debug Console, Goodbye!
$End

<>Ok, it lookz like the text module is ztill working, but damn is it annoying.
<>The recorder module's keyboard is too zmall for MagIon armored glovez.
<>I doubled checked the local prezsure to zee if I could take off my glove to get at the keyboard, but it would be crushed in an inztant.
<>
<>Damn 'esz' key is malfunctioning, too. frak.
<>
<>Anyway, we managed to kick their aszes.
<>I packed as much loot az I could put in my duffel bag before takeoff.
<>Command'z real eager to get uz out of there, ezpecially zince there'z ztill a lot of activity around the zite.
<>The dizrupter tankz performed very well, but az usual, the intakes ztarted to get clogged.
<>
<>We couldn't very well stop to clean it out, zince we had very little time before the baze woke up and overrun our positions.
<>In a final effort, all of the tankz formed up in main control area and targeted the 8 devices and annihilated them.
<>I zaw some interezting ztructures in the area, but again due to time could not persue.
<>Maybe once things cool down, I can get a recovery team out here.
<>

[End Log]

Subject: "z64-555"
Log: 291
Date: September [corrupted]

[Debug Log]
>:Warning! Critical error in sector 473 "Voice Recognition Core"
>:Recording mode has been set to TEXT
$End

<>Ok, I'm back on the transport with all I could carry.
<>Zome of the guys picked up some ztuff too, probably for zuveniers.
<>
<>Well, I guesz... oh frak
<>

[End Log]

Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Mongoose, this last bottle of tequila is in your memory.  You will be missed, but never forgotten.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Mongoose, this last bottle of tequila is in your memory.  You will be missed, but never forgotten.

May he have sense enough to lie on his psi evaluation, in his next life.  :nervous: