Author Topic: Why did none of the FS1 Shivans have beam cannons?-and other FS1 story questions  (Read 10290 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
Re: Why did none of the FS1 Shivans have beam cannons?-and other FS1 story questions
Subspace node confusion
The tech room in FS1 states that only ships outfitted with the most powerful of reactors could open an intersystem subspace portal (like an Orion destroyer). By "opening the portal", does it mean that the Orion-like ship is needed to open a new intersystem node for general use (as a one-time activation), or that only a ship with an Orion's power output could actually make an intersystem jump?

And did any of that change, and if so, when? Sorry for the complexity here; I'm just really confused on this one.

I don't know about the orion or typhon but i think it was stated somewhere that the lucifer has the ability to stabilize nodes temporarily, all at the cost of plot holes.
No.. I don't belive it was.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Re: Why did none of the FS1 Shivans have beam cannons?-and other FS1 story questions
It's pretty clear from the tech description of the Harbinger that the GTA was willing to use salted nuclear weapons (weapons designed for maximum fallout) on colonies. So things got rather ugly for the contested systems...

I'm really skeptical on that. Not so much what you're saying (I vaguely remember those implications too), but the whole idea. It makes as little sense as possible. If it's a contested system, then why are you contaminating habitable planets with as much radiation as possible--stuff that lasts thousands of years in many cases? What's the point of that? Using cleaner nukes would be more efficient and still leave you with a planet in much better condition after use.

Delenda Est delenda est.

(Yay gratuitous Latin.)

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
I don't know about the orion or typhon but i think it was stated somewhere that the lucifer has the ability to stabilize nodes temporarily, all at the cost of plot holes.
No.. I don't belive it was.

From the command briefing for the FS2 mission "Their Finest Hour":

Skeptics have argued the Shivans made intersystem jumps without using nodes in Ross 128, Ikeya, Vega, and other systems at the outbreak of the Great War. However, scientists assure us this plan will work. Though Shivans have used uncharted nodes and nodes too unstable for Terran and Vasudan vessels, they are as dependent on jump nodes as we are. Nevertheless, we must accept this strategy as nothing more than a temporary measure....

The Freespace Wiki also has an entire article on the jump node inconsistencies within the official continuity.  Plot holes, indeed.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Being able to use nodes too unstable for GTVA tech != outright stabilizing jump nodes.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline qwadtep

If memory serves the FS1 ending monologue mentioned that the Shivans have the ability to rebuild nodes, and with the Shivans' demonstrated subspace superiority and the presence of multiple Knossos portals in the nebula, I can't think of any reason to assume otherwise.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Err... Knossoses are Ancient devices. I don't see how their presence is in any way related to the Shivans' abilities to "rebuild" nodes or not.

If anything, it should serve as an indication that they can't, since they seem to have to rely on those Knossosses despite having eliminated nearly all other trace of the Ancient civilization.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Rely on them seems a pretty strong description. They never reacted to them at all. From what we see in-game, it's hard to be sure the Shivans are even aware of the Knossos.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline qwadtep

Err... Knossoses are Ancient devices. I don't see how their presence is in any way related to the Shivans' abilities to "rebuild" nodes or not.

If anything, it should serve as an indication that they can't, since they seem to have to rely on those Knossosses despite having eliminated nearly all other trace of the Ancient civilization.
Because if the GTVA, with their limited subspace ability, is feasibly capable of rebuilding the Knossos after studying it for less than a year, the Shivans almost certainly can after ten thousand.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art

Because if the GTVA, with their limited subspace ability, is feasibly capable of rebuilding the Knossos after studying it for less than a year, the Shivans almost certainly can after ten thousand.

For the shivans to research it they would have to want to research it in the first place.  And without knowing shivan motives we cant say if that desire was there or not
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Shivan motive?

If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft

Why would the Shivans go through the effort of stabilizing a jump node for their usage, when there is already a Knossos portal there that does that job for them?  Just because they are using already-existing portals doesn't necessarily mean they can't build their own if needed.

Rely on them seems a pretty strong description. They never reacted to them at all. From what we see in-game, it's hard to be sure the Shivans are even aware of the Knossos.

We saw multiple juggernauts utilizing a Knossos Portal in the mission Into the Lion's Den.  Does utilizing the portals qualify as 'reacting to them'?  They already had comm nodes and fighter patrols set up even before the SOC fighters arrived.

In fact, it's implied that there might be a whole bunch of Knossos Portals beyond the nebula.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
It seems for these questions we just have to make up our own theories.

That's not entirely true alex, if you regard the portals as simply attachments to existing inter-system nodes the shivans may well be regarded as ignoring them. The only flaw in that theory is potentially whether or not they 'reacted' to the activation of the one that leads to the nebula, or whether they reacted to the passage of the Trinity through it.

NGTM; My comments before were because your post was somewhat ambiguous in the lack of a couple of thoughts, clarified in your reply to my post.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
We saw multiple juggernauts utilizing a Knossos Portal in the mission Into the Lion's Den.  Does utilizing the portals qualify as 'reacting to them'?

Knossos portals are a second-order effect. You don't even need to know the Knossos exists to make use of it: remember, they don't exist in linked pairs and one end of the connection is by all appearances a standard subspace node. The portal stabilizes the node and you actually use the node, not the portal.

Since we know pretty much nothing about Shivan behavior and perception, whether they're aware of or care about Knossos portals as such is impossible to ascertain. They never directly interacted with one.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

[
We saw multiple juggernauts utilizing a Knossos Portal in the mission Into the Lion's Den.  Does utilizing the portals qualify as 'reacting to them'?

They use the subspace node, that's all we know for sure.
They don't have to know it's not a natural one, created by the Knossos device- in which case the big question is who sponsored their fleet...?

I'd personally say they're not only aware of the device, but also do all maintenance to keep it in working order...
Somebody most likely has to, those things are pieces of junk older than anyone can remember.
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
[

They use the subspace node, that's all we know for sure.
They don't have to know it's not a natural one, created by the Knossos device- in which case the big question is who sponsored their fleet...?

I'd personally say they're not only aware of the device, but also do all maintenance to keep it in working order...
Somebody most likely has to, those things are pieces of junk older than anyone can remember.

old dont mean it's a piece of junk, after all they do work.  While i contest the shivans using them implies knowledge of maintaining them (we would and do research these things but shivans have a very alien psych so are not forced to have the same curiosity we do) It does bring up the question about how much maintenance Knossos portals need.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
old dont mean it's a piece of junk, after all they do work.  While i contest the shivans using them implies knowledge of maintaining them (we would and do research these things but shivans have a very alien psych so are not forced to have the same curiosity we do) It does bring up the question about how much maintenance Knossos portals need.

Well, seeing how the Knossos within the nebula apparently managed to survive the supernova that created the nebula, they might be extremely low maintenance.  At least, that was the impression I got on my first play though.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Considering you can also apparently flip a switch and turn them on after several millennia of inactivity, I'd say they hold up pretty well.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
nano-tech maintenance with fusion / anti-matter / dark energy / what have you as power source and a supply of repair materials that the nano-bots could use?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
nano-tech maintenance with fusion / anti-matter / dark energy / what have you as power source and a supply of repair materials that the nano-bots could use?

it's like a checklist of SF buzzwords people don't understand