Author Topic: HDD space issue  (Read 968 times)

Hey all, I'm back after a looong absence spent playing similar space sims, like X3. I'm considering getting back into FS though, with how the community's coming on, and the fact that I'm hopefully getting into a course on computer development next year and ultimately will want to build something like FreeSpace (although, that is pretty unlikely to happen)

My question though is simple, since I've been unable to find the answer anywhere. About how much harddrive space can I expect to fill with an install of FreeSpace 2, FSO, MediaVPS and FreeSpace Port? Y'know, so I can play the classics again (and sate my appetite).

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Here's my copies:

Code: [Select]
2.0G mediavps_3612/
2.6G fsport
478M fsport_mediavps
355M fsport-str

Add 1 GB (rounded up) for retail are you're at about 5-6GB.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
FSO itself doesn't change the size of the game, but mediavps is strongly recommended to improve the look of the game.

FSPort is nice to play from time to time because it brings FS1 into the FS2 engine
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Until LMZA support is implemented in the engine, all assets are stocked entirely uncompressed, which is why FSO installs tend to be hugeass. Count at least 50GB is you want to DL several mods and/or TCs.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grĂ¢ce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras