Author Topic: FRED2...erm...issue  (Read 1836 times)

FRED2...erm...issue
The only game I've ever had to reinstall is FreeSpace 2, and it's always been because of some screwup or another in FRED2.  Typically, the problem has something to do with saving my mission that causes FS2 to hard-lock before even attempting to load the file.

Last time FRED2 borked my save, I went to the trouble of rebuilding the mission, step-by-step, saving, playing, reloading, adding, saving, playing, etc., until it finally died.  There wasn't a single problem until the last step, which was adding the mission music.  *BOOM*  Mission dead.

Well, after letting this growing anger, hatred, and frustration fester for a while, I've finally cracked open VPview to track down this nasty bug.  First thing was checking the Music.tbl file against the actual music files in the VP archive.  No problem there, so one of the music files must be the source of the problem.  Well, I've just gone through the entire set of files associated with the track I picked, and they all play and sound fine.  What else is there?  Compare the mission with one that works in Wordpad...  Absolutely no difference to be found in the music section.

That's left me at a dead end.  Nothing appears to be wrong, though obviously something is, or I'd not be rebuilding another mission for the third time.  Anyone with some help to offer?

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
You've added music?  Am I right?

Check the audio codec that you used to save the music files.  There's limitations to that....you can't use Mp3, you can't go over 22khz....etc.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Lonestar

• Fred Zone Guru
    • United Gamers Coalition
I dont know the solution to your problem.

Got a suggestion though. Always save your mission twice in seperate folders. This way when you make a change, and it fubars the mission you can revert to older saved files.

Offline vadar_1

• Mr. Crispy
    • http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/hosted/fullcircle/
just replace the backup mission with the original, then open it and save it, creating a new backup... saves time rebuilding the mission if it "fookes up".
"Shockingly, checking Draw Lines Between Marked Icons draws lines between the marked icons. " -Volition quality help files

Projects;
The Full Circle Project (site down - server side problem)
Paradox (site down - server side problem)

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Try saving the music file into the same detail level as the Freespace music itself.  Then see if it still screws up.
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: FRED2...erm...issue
Originally posted by BlueFlames
Last time FRED2 borked my save, I went to the trouble of rebuilding the mission, step-by-step, saving, playing, reloading, adding, saving, playing, etc., until it finally died.  There wasn't a single problem until the last step, which was adding the mission music.  *BOOM*  Mission dead.

Well, after letting this growing anger, hatred, and frustration fester for a while, I've finally cracked open VPview to track down this nasty bug.  First thing was checking the Music.tbl file against the actual music files in the VP archive.  No problem there, so one of the music files must be the source of the problem.  Well, I've just gone through the entire set of files associated with the track I picked, and they all play and sound fine.  What else is there?  Compare the mission with one that works in Wordpad...  Absolutely no difference to be found in the music section.

That's left me at a dead end.  Nothing appears to be wrong, though obviously something is, or I'd not be rebuilding another mission for the third time.  Anyone with some help to offer?

FRED2 automatically saves a previous version of your mission with the same name but .bak extention. All you have to do is rename that file to .fs2 and you can load the version in before you saved any changes.

However that doesn`t appear to be your problem as you say that you have a copy which works (the only change being the music).

Most likely something has gone wrong with the mission elsewhere. You could try making a mission with just alpha 1 and the music you`re trying to play and then cut and paste the music from one to another.

If all else fails you can send both copies to [email protected] I`ll have a look at it but I`m quite busy at the moment so I can`t say that it will get done for a couple of days.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
FRED2 does freakish things sometimes. When you make a change in one area, it makes a change somewhere else. That's the most likely source of your problems, but unless you know exactly what you're looking for in the notepad version, it's hard to find what went wrong and where...

Failing that, use the .bak and Go Comparative! *groans*

You've added music? Am I right?

No and no.  I just picked a track that came with FS2.  It will be a cold day in hell before I get into recording music.  ;)

Anyway, I'm rebuilding the mission again, this time keeping a backup copy...  I'll probably splice the music in using notepad this time, just to make sure that's the only change that gets made by FRED2 or myself.  If that fails, well...  I'll either hurt my brain bug-hunting in the FRED2 source or let the problem win.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Does the mission work without any music? I haven't heard of any problems due to the default soundtracks yet.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Ever hear of the FC command? Open up DOS or CMD or whatever, and FC mission1.fs2 mission1.bak - it'll show you the exact lines that are different between the two.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by sandwich
Ever hear of the FC command? Open up DOS or CMD or whatever, and FC mission1.fs2 mission1.bak - it'll show you the exact lines that are different between the two.

:jaw: Dang. That's basically diff for DOS/Windows. That's one command I'd never heard about till now. :)
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers