Author Topic: "Atlas Shrugged Pt 2" Movie producers ask for pro bono help  (Read 4129 times)

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
"Atlas Shrugged Pt 2" Movie producers ask for pro bono help
Brought to you by the Department of Irony:

http://blog.atlasshruggedmovie.com/2012/07/volunteers-wanted-dallas-tx.html

So yeah.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Re: "Atlas Shrugged Pt 2" Movie producers ask for pro bono help
I'm trying desperately not to giggle.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
This is too good to be true.

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
So I have been doing a bunch of googling about this cause I had no idea what this was and why it was ironic. after learning I'm still coming up empty. . ..though it is 3:30 a.m. maybe it'll make sense tmrw

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
So I have been doing a bunch of googling about this cause I had no idea what this was and why it was ironic. after learning I'm still coming up empty. . ..though it is 3:30 a.m. maybe it'll make sense tmrw

I am guessing it has something to do with.
Atlas Shrugged is a novel by Ayn Rand, first published in 1957 in the United States. Rand's fourth and last novel, it was also her longest, and the one she considered to be her magnum opus in the realm of fiction writing.[1] Atlas Shrugged includes elements of mystery and science fiction,[2] and it contains Rand's most extensive statement of Objectivism in any of her works of fiction.
The book explores a dystopian United States where many of society's most productive citizens refuse to be exploited by increasing taxation and government regulations and go on strike.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

but then I could be wide of the mark.
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Remember:  To the proper capitalist, volunteers are just very naive slave labor.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Might want to wikipedia Objectivism or something.

A Feddie Story

Offline Luis Dias

Ayn Rand used to make fun of "volunteers", for their utter stuppidity. She battled furiously against altruism, considered it to be one of the greatest evils in our society.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Objectivism: the philosophy of being a smug asshole about everything.

Offline Mikes

The whole thing is truly brilliant. :)

I hope a great number of Aras  sign up and turn the whole thing into the most monumental display of hypocrisy in this decade (at least.) :)

Objectivism: the philosophy of being a smug asshole about everything.

... and of betraying your ideals if you get to make a movie ? :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.

Nobody said they were Objectivists, just trying to make money off them.

Which is in its own way almost as amusing.

A Feddie Story

Offline Mikes

Nobody said they were Objectivists, just trying to make money off them.

Which is in its own way almost as amusing.

... which won't prevent any Objectivists from volunteering in order to promote their ideology... oh wait, snap! :)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
...which is a leap of logic that is not supported nor even implied in the article.  Try again.

Offline Mikes

...which is a leap of logic that is not supported nor even implied in the article.  Try again.

... what it is, is a (very amusing) possibility. No more no less. ;)

Offline Aardwolf

Wait, Ayn Rand is a woman?

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Not sure if serious but... yes. Yes she is. 
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Ayn Rand used to make fun of "volunteers", for their utter stuppidity. She battled furiously against altruism, considered it to be one of the greatest evils in our society.

Admittedly, I'm not completely familiar with Ayn Rand for the reason I'm not familiar with the works of the other crackpots whose videos get posted on here but wasn't her objection to volunteers based on the idea of people acting for other people's needs and desires rather than their own?

Anyone volunteering for this would be doing it because they really want to see a sequel based on the book not because they want other people to see it. So if I've understood her issues with volunteering correctly, this shouldn't be against them, right?

Or is there something I've missed?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
Admittedly, I'm not completely familiar with Ayn Rand for the reason I'm not familiar with the works of the other crackpots whose videos get posted on here but wasn't her objection to volunteers based on the idea of people acting for other people's needs and desires rather than their own?

Anyone volunteering for this would be doing it because they really want to see a sequel based on the book not because they want other people to see it. So if I've understood her issues with volunteering correctly, this shouldn't be against them, right?

Or is there something I've missed?

Yep, you are overlooking a few things.  Ayn Rand was a historical figure - she is no longer even alive!  She was born all the way back in 1905, and died in 1982, before the internet was even around.
Her philosophy of objectionism advocates, among other things, self-interest as being morally correct.  Hence, the irony of the movie producers asking for volunteers!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yep, you are overlooking a few things.  Ayn Rand was a historical figure - she is no longer even alive!  She was born all the way back in 1905, and died in 1982, before the internet was even around.

Where did I say she wasn't? I said I don't pay much attention to her for same reason as why I don't pay attention to the crackpots who post videos on YouTube. Life is too short.

Her philosophy of objectionism advocates, among other things, self-interest as being morally correct.  Hence, the irony of the movie producers asking for volunteers!

I think you missed my point. As far as I understood, her issue with volunteers was that they were working because they felt they owed the rest of humanity something, or cause they felt guilty for having more than other people. Volunteering to help make a movie isn't something you do cause you want other people to be able to see the movie for the good of humanity. You do it because you want to see the movie.

From what little I understood of objectivism it isn't out of line with her beliefs for someone to persuade reasonable people to give up their time in return for getting something they want.

Now it's possible I've misunderstood something because, as I've said, I don't pay objectivism much attention.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
Where did I say she wasn't? I said I don't pay much attention to her for same reason as why I don't pay attention to the crackpots who post videos on YouTube. Life is too short.

In that case, can you tell me what you think a 'normal' person says, believes, and does?