Author Topic: Fred questions  (Read 2214 times)

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
Just a few questions I have about Fredding.

-Is there a sexp that would do something like this
Percent Hull Left
50%
GTCv Deimos
Send message
Im injured

-I know there is a cap waypoint speed sexp, but is there one like this
Set waypoint speed
GTM Hippocrates

-I can tell a small ship to ignore a ship in the initial orders menu or using the Ai-ignore goal, but I cant tell a large ship to ignore another large ship. Is there a way to tell a large ship (like an orion) to ignore another large ship?

Any answers appreciated  :)

Edit: How can I add entirely seperate debriefings instead of just stages? I want to have multiple debriefings possible instead of just multiple stages.

Edit 2: For this question to make sense, I need to explain my situation. I have a wing guarding a ship. When half the wing is destroyed, I want a random surviving member of that wing to send a message to command. While I could set it so that every possible member of the wing will send the message, it will result in atleast two people sending the same message. How can I choose a random member of a wing?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:01:55 pm by soilder198 »
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Just a few questions I have about Fredding.

-Is there a sexp that would do something like this
Percent Hull Left
50%
GTCv Deimos
Send message
Im injured

The SEXP you want is called hits-left. Use it with the > or < etc SEXPs.

-I know there is a cap waypoint speed sexp, but is there one like this
Set waypoint speed
GTM Hippocrates

Why wouldn't cap-waypoint-speed work? Unless that's faster than the speed of the Hippocrates I don't see the issue.

Edit: How can I add entirely seperate debriefings instead of just stages? I want to have multiple debriefings possible instead of just multiple stages.

Just add more stages (you're allowed up to 40) and use SEXPs to make sure that only the right ones play. Something like this

Stages 1-5
-and
--is-event-true-delay
---Play Debrief 1
-- Whatever else

Stages 6-10
-and
--is-event-true-delay
---Play Debrief 2
-- Whatever else

Now you have two entirely separate debriefings.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

For your third question, there's a couple ways to do this. If you want to keep the beam cannons from the Orion from shooting at JUST the other large ship, then you can use the beam-protect function. That can be accessed by popping open the ship editor and clicking on the 'misc' button near the center of the window. Tick 'beam-protect' and NO ship will be able to shoot at that particular ship with beams. You could also disable the beam turrets of the Orion by manually selecting which turrets you don't want firing at all by using 'beam-lock' or 'beam-lock-all' sexps in the beams and turrets sexp section. Just know that if you use this method, then these turrets will cease to fire at all, regardless of what happens around them.

The second solution should look something like this -
When
- (Whatever your conditions are)
- Beam-lock
-- GTD Orion
-- Turret 1
-- Turret 2
-- Etct

OR

When
- (Whatever your conditions are)
- Beam-lock-all
--GTD Orion

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The problem with protecting from beams and flak, etc is that they prevent any ship having a go at the protected ship using that kind of weapon. I think we need more information on what soilder198 is trying to achieve before we can advise on the best course of action.

Offline soilder198

Karajorma,
The problem with the waypoint speed is that the hippocrates is incredibly slow. I could set the other ships to be as slow as the hippocrates, but I already added and scripted a lot of action so Id have to revise a lot of crap. I ended up having the hippocrates inevitably destroyed. I couldve just added a different ship in but I really like the look of it and the fact that it has sgreen for whatever reason.

mobcdmoc3,
The situation I had was that a psamtik would engage a demon. The psamtik is positioned so that it can fire two bvas at the demon, however, one of its bvas can also target a moloch corvette. While I could just make the moloch beam protected, the moloch is under attack by sobek, and I want the sobek to use its beams. I found a way around this using a glitch though. I ordered a wing of fighters to guard the psamtik and ignore the moloch at the same time. The psamtik would also follows the wings orders to ignore the moloch because its a glitch. I dont like using this glitch though, as it feels like cheating.
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you want the Hippocrates to move faster than its top speed, you'll have to change the top speed in the table (you could bugger about with setting it's speed manually using SEXPs but that's not something I'd recommend doing).

Well in that case, you want to figure out which turret on your Hatshepshut (they're not called Psamtiks  :nervous:) is firing at the Moloch. You can do this by figuring out which turrets on it are beam cannons from the ship editor window, and then by switching to view the Hatshepshut in FRED, selecting the Hatshepshut again, and pressing K until you successfully identify the turret that's firing.

Hope I've been helpful.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Is there something preventing you from adding an order via SEXP for the Hatsheput to ignore the Moloch? Just give it a lower priority than the Hattie's other orders and it shouldn't interfere with anything else.

I haven't touched FRED in a while, so if this is stupid please don't kill me.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Anything that's not a fighter or bomber can't receive an ignore order. Kinda annoying, as is so with the case that was presented. :ick:

Maybe if you manually wrote in the sexp it would work, but I haven't tested that. By default, the ignore-sexp is greyed out for non-fighters/bombers.

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
As for the last question, I think when-argument can solve that problem.

Offline soilder198

mobcdmoc3,
I tried to manually write in the sexp but the edit data option was greyed out, it doesnt matter though cause i can use that glitch

Etymology[edit]

History[edit]