Author Topic: MCO causing internet connectivity issue  (Read 2192 times)

Offline cowboy

MCO causing internet connectivity issue
I have noticed since using v152 that as soon as I exit the application, usually via crash, my internet connection begins to be very poor. Often I have to try for almost 30 seconds to try to get my browser to START to load a page. As in, I'll click a bookmark and it will fail to open multiple times. It has happened when MCO was the only thing besides my browser running on my system.

Offline Parias

Re: MCO causing internet connectivity issue
I'd be genuinely surprised if it was just MCO causing an "internet connectivity" problem - this generally would have to be something very specific and directed. There are many, many things that could cause this.

--Is it just your web browser running slow, or are you actually seeing a hike in latency / packet loss from internet traffic when this issue occurs? If you run continual pings of a server (i.e. google.com), do you get different results when the issue is occurring versus when it is not?

--What web browser are you using? Does the problem occur if you use a different web browser?

--You say you have to wait ~30 seconds for a page to load when clicking a bookmark - what if you manually navigate to a known-good, quick-to-respond page, i.e. Google?

--What are your system specs? Is it possible that what you're seeing is just a byproduct of thrashing (i.e. everything in Windows running slower) after exiting the game due to a shortage of available memory and Windows having to re-allocate limited resources before web browsing is speedy again? Do you see your system's HDD loading light going nuts when the issue is occurring?

--Does the problem happen with any other games? Did it happen with any other builds of MCO?

Offline cowboy

I'd be genuinely surprised if it was just MCO causing an "internet connectivity" problem - this generally would have to be something very specific and directed. There are many, many things that could cause this.

--Is it just your web browser running slow, or are you actually seeing a hike in latency / packet loss from internet traffic when this issue occurs? If you run continual pings of a server (i.e. google.com), do you get different results when the issue is occurring versus when it is not?

Yes, when this issue is occuring, sites like google will fail to load multiple times. The only solution I've discovered is repeatedly clicking on/entering in an address. Eventually it starts to load, but sometimes then it only loads halfway.

--What web browser are you using? Does the problem occur if you use a different web browser?

I use chrome, but this has occurred with Firefox as well

--You say you have to wait ~30 seconds for a page to load when clicking a bookmark - what if you manually navigate to a known-good, quick-to-respond page, i.e. Google?

This makes it worse. As I referenced above, my work-around (such that it is) is to just spam-click the bookmark until it starts to load. I discovered this method when experimenting on ways I might be able to affect the problem. When typing an address, it will generally fail to load via timeout many times before loading which is just exacerbated by the time it takes to re-enter it manually.

--What are your system specs? Is it possible that what you're seeing is just a byproduct of thrashing (i.e. everything in Windows running slower) after exiting the game due to a shortage of available memory and Windows having to re-allocate limited resources before web browsing is speedy again? Do you see your system's HDD loading light going nuts when the issue is occurring?

Interesting idea, I'll note these things next time it happens. My computer should be fine, hardware-wise.

--Does the problem happen with any other games? Did it happen with any other builds of MCO?

Only with the two most recent builds of MCO I have, 152 and 156.

Responses in-line

Have you tried pinging Google or even your own router while this is happening? It might help isolate where the problem is occurring.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here, but in case you don't know how to do this:

1. Open a Command Prompt from Start Menu->Accessories
2. Type ping followed by the name of the website or IP address you want to ping
    Ex. "ping www.google.com" or "ping 192.168.1.1" (without quotes)
    (192.168.1.1 is one of the more common router IP addresses, it may not be yours)

Once again sorry if I'm treating you like you're dumb, I'd just rather be thorough then leave someone lost.

Offline cowboy

Not a problem.

It happens both at work and at home, so I know it's not a router issue. I think you hit the nail on the head with the memory idea.

Offline cowboy

happened again today and had to restart my computer to get the internet to work again. It actually said that my network connection lost internet connectivity so the problem may go a bit deeper.

Offline Karl

224 should be out soon hopefully this will fix the issue