Author Topic: Combining GTVA and UEF technology  (Read 38315 times)

Offline mr.WHO

Re: Combining GTVA and UEF technology
Wasn't B-29 capable of flying higher than any Japanese fighter and most of german fighters of that time?

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
Yes. German fighters could get kills, but in the Pacific only big anti-aircraft guns could reliably take them down. I'm guessing these bombers are long range.

Offline QuakeIV

• test
Reliable is also probably the wrong term for anti-aircraft guns back then.

Reliable is also probably the wrong term for anti-aircraft guns back then.

I think that accurate is the word you are looking for. At the height B-29s flew (up to 10,000m) was within the effective range of several types of Japanese AA guns. Their tracking was never very effective though. Besides, most B-29 sorties during the war were low altitude (~1500m) night missions, firebombing Japanese cities. That was within the range of 20mm autocannon. But it is very difficult to target something moving at 500+ kph at 1500 meters when your radar sucks.

Offline CT27

Think less Durga/Vadra, more B-29.

In role, not in shape.

Could you elaborate a little on that please...how are the Durga/Vadra different than the B-29 in role?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Imagine the Durga as a TU-22M and the Vajradhara as, uh, there isn't really a clear bomber analog: it's like an A10, almost a pocket warship, a weapons platform designed to hit harder than a modern cruiser (by sacrificing most of the survivability, operational independence, and cost effectiveness of a cruiser — no lone Vajradhara is going to get anything done).

The Tev fortress bomber concept is neither of those things.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
Vaj is buntu though - original question was about Tev bomber tactics. Though I think you've said before they're going to pop-up attacks and drones.

Offline crizza

Well, the TEVs have no need to design a bomber like the Buntu did. This bombers most likely were designed after the great war, to take down Demons and most likely the Lucifer, the latter in subspace.
A TEV fleet bomber would be something along the line of the Stheno... massive primary firepower, cavernous secondarys and turrets, to fend of fighters...
Scripting, plot armor or whatever, a Stheno with Balors/Maxim tears apart anything up front, making sure to smash her way towards the intended target.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.

In role, not in shape.

Could you elaborate a little on that please...how are the Durga/Vadra different than the B-29 in role?

I mean to say that the GTVA bomber concept is closer to gunboat than gunship, in BP parlance.  Massive, covered in turrets, and with capabilities that fighters just plain don't have.

Offline CT27

In role, not in shape.

I mean to say that the GTVA bomber concept is closer to gunboat than gunship, in BP parlance.  Massive, covered in turrets, and with capabilities that fighters just plain don't have.

Sorry for not getting it again, but in BP terms as you put it...what's the difference between gunboat and gunship?  (A wiki article I saw recently said the two terms are virtually identical)

Offline Darius

Gunship - a heavily armed aircraft with heavy ordnance as its defining feature. Examples: A-10 or attack helicopters.

Gunboat - small warship (usually littoral) with artillery.

Logistics it´s a big stuff..
imagine a karuna withot torpedos.
Easy prey.

-Things that the GTVA need to take from UEF in order to survive (or at least do more damage).

-Maxim (no ammo required) + Gauss cannon (Long range + Heavy damage).  =  A  good long range weapon withot Ammo.

-Slammer is an excellent addition. dat weapon can eat shivans bombers.

-Rapier is a must possible advancing to a next prometheus Tier.

-Reverse Thurst can be a feature in new fighters designs.

-Fleet net is a must.

-Tevs have ETAK., and the UEF have some Beam jamming., come on.. an effective jamming its possible.

-Flak burst can be partially take in mixed defense formations on ships ( i think a nightmare ).

-Paveway is a must to check in order to kill dat nasty BFRed cannons.

P.S. ( Totally/Offtopic).
I´d like to see new shivan ships fighting an UEF/GTVA United.,  that could be great.

Maxims are getting an ammo cap with the director's cut, actually. The Slammer is exceptionally good, but even a ridiculous overbuilt UEF gunship can only carry a handful; it might not scale well in the Nahemastorm scenarios the TEI anticipates.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
UEF and Tev fighters are built with vastly different requirements in mind, so many of these things may not be compatible. Rapier might be a great gun, but perhaps its draw is too high for a fighter meant to travel multiple nodes solo, for example.

UEF and Tev fighters are built with vastly different requirements in mind, so many of these things may not be compatible. Rapier might be a great gun, but perhaps its draw is too high for a fighter meant to travel multiple nodes solo, for example.

Not to mention that UEF stuff likely has a shorter mean time before repair since their logistical footprint is limited to a single system.

Offline Aesaar

The Balor and the Rapier are already very comparable weapons.  The Rapier does a bit more damage and has longer range, but the Balor draws less power, it's more easily mass produced, and it's already integrated into the fleet.  It also has an upgrade in the works.  The Rapier isn't enough of an improvement to justify the expense of adopting it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 04:18:00 am by Aesaar »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I really can't overstate how good (and tactically important) the Balor's low power draw is.

Fighters equipped with Balors can perform above their specifications due to the ETS system. This isn't as apparent in the Sol theatre due to shorter engagements and lower number of opponents where you can get away with relying on your energy reserves.
In an engagement against the Shivans however, the Balor truly shines, nothing else can chew through endless wings of Shivan bombers so quickly without stopping to let your energy recharge.
[19:31] <MatthTheGeek> you all high up on your mointain looking down at everyone who doesn't beam everything on insane blindfolded

Offline CT27

The Balor and the Rapier are already very comparable weapons.  The Rapier does a bit more damage and has longer range, but the Balor draws less power, it's more easily mass produced, and it's already integrated into the fleet.  It also has an upgrade in the works.  The Rapier isn't enough of an improvement to justify the expense of adopting it.

What kind of upgrade is in the works for the Balor?

a transposition and a 'g'
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.