Author Topic: I just wanna say to ATI  (Read 5642 times)

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
  • The ticket to the future is always blank
I just wanna say to ATI
Screw you. Screw you and your ****ty drivers. I'm tired of worrying whether a new game that should play fluidly at high settings will put up horrible fps just because your ****ty cards and ****ty drivers go crazy facing certain types of lighting and smoke. After all these years, screw you. I'm defecting to nVidia for good. Screw you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:31:54 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Re: I just wanna say to ATI
intel+nvidia <3
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
I've never had a hint of bad luck with catalyst on windows. Sure you're installing everything properly?
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
It's something I've have experienced from many ATI/AMD cards up to the 4000 series (read an earlier thread I made ranting about my history with ATI cards, although the particular issue that sent me over the edge turned out to be my fault entirely). And believe me, I learned how to do a proper ocd (re)installation a very long time ago, driver cleaner and everything. It's not that, I assure you. And the high end 5000 cards have acquired a rather infamous reputation for glitches as well. So unless someone tells me they made a great leap forward with the Northern Islands cards, I'm fed up with them.

I really don't care at this point whether or not I'm being fair to ATI, or whether the problems stem from devs using nVidia cards for development. I just want to be able to buy a card and not have to worry about it for a while. I would have gotten a 6870 for my new computer. I'm getting a 560 Ti instead. I just want a card that won't drive me crazy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 11:30:37 pm by Mr. Vega »
Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assaults of thoughts on the unthinking.
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cut to 2 years later when you're making the same complaints about Nvidia. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Quanto

• Permanent Nostalgia Goggles
intel+nvidia <3
AMD+nVidia here

Intel is the devil
00:41:58 <DarthGeek>: I might do it, I need to build a reputation of someone who doesn't suffer fools
(DarthGeek on: "Relentless")

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
the devil <3
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Mr. Vega

• Your Node Is Mine
Cut to 2 years later when you're making the same complaints about Nvidia. :p
Oh, don't worry. After the rant I started looking at the 7850 benchmarks and the prices compared to the 560 and slipped back into abused spouse mode trying to talk myself back into them. It's just that my friends all use nVidia and I've never heard much of a gripe from them ever. I got to try out a machine with a budget nVidia card today and it humiliated my comp on all the games I get hung up on. It's just....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
-John Maynard Keynes

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i once had an NVIDIA card.  Geforce MX 440.  my GOD what a piece of ****.  back in that day at least, i found it was nvidia drivers that were well and truly ****.  ever since then, i've had an ATI/AMD.  i had brief driver issues when i was still on AGP when they dropped support in new drivers, and just today when the power play levels weren't working right after installing the newest.  that is partly my fault for interfering a bit with a modified BIOS and using MSI Afterburner, and nevertheless was solved by re-installing after, as you say, an OCD driver sweeper purge of the old ones (which i didn't do the first time.  i normally do, but i was feeling lucky.)  that said, i don't consider myself a fanboy, and i am on the whole disappointed with anti-aliasing on AMD chips.  it's never easy to get it to work, and often i can't at all.  the "override application settings" rarely works, i'm not sure what "enhance application settings" is even supposed to be doing, and it seems to be down to the particular game whether the in-game settings will play nice with AMD.  which, more often than not is no, since it seems 90% of the games i play have the NVIDIA logo slapped in the intro movies.  i still haven't ever been able to get AA working in FSO. 

my next purchase is likely to be an nvidia 670, solely because they finally took the price/performance title from AMD.  unless i haven't committed until a new gen comes out, in which case i'll have to see how the chips fall.  if i do make the switch, i'll be looking forward to hopefully having the brand that plays nicer with games, but i will sorely miss how familiar i've become with radeons and how to tweak and overclock them well.  i'll have a lot of re-learning to do.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
This is one of those things where you'll find an endless amount of people on either side, saying they've never had any problem with X but were constantly being screwed over by Y.

I've always been an Nvidia person. Some years back, a friend of mine upgraded his GPU to a (then) ATi card, and we had an absolutely endless headache trying to get ATi's software to stop wrecking itself and the system, Catalyst Control Center especially. Circumstances before that ended up with me never having used an ATi card, but after that, I made sure to actively avoid them.

A couple of months ago, building my new PC, I was on a pretty strict budget. I had the choice between a 550ti and an HD 6850. I got the latter because it stomps all over the 550ti in benchmarks. From what I've heard, since AMD bought ATi a while back, their software has been steadily improving, and Nvidia has had some problems, to where they're basically split down the middle. I've had zero problems with my own 6850 and it handles a ~15% overclock like a champ.

Gotta say though, the 660ti looks damn sexy.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Had both NVidia nad ATI card. Currently I have ATI.

Never had any problems with either.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I prefer NVidia. I've had an ATI card (granted, it wasn't new, but it wasn't too bad either), and it had continuous problems with OpenGL support. Most games ran normally (though not on the highest settings, but that could be expected), but FSO sometimes glitched.

Had problems with both, probably more with nV but I had a lot of nV cards that were budget and their budget line is terrible.
Realistically, you should just buy the best card at the time. :P

ATI's drivers have really come on, it's not often a big new release will struggle on an ATI card any more unless you're running crossfire... that's a whole different kettle of fish..
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea i would assume budget line cards would have many more issues than something a little higher end, regardless of who makes it. they are definitely going to put the resources where the money is. its been a very long time since i spent less than a couple hundred bucks on a video card. im sure if i bought a higher end ati card id have a similar experience as i do with nvidia. honestly the only experience ive had with ati products are laptop video chipsets, which tend to be wonky regardless of who makes em.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

ATI tend to do a little better when it comes to budget cards, they're somewhat higher quality than the nV budget ones, but when you move on to the higher quality cards both manufacturers are of a quality you would expect :P
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Screw you. Screw you and your ****ty drivers. I'm tired of worrying whether a new game that should play fluidly at high settings will put up horrible fps just because your ****ty cards and ****ty drivers go crazy facing certain types of lighting and smoke. After all these years, screw you. I'm defecting to nVidia for good. Screw you.

Could you elaborate? I have a HD4890 and haven't seen any problem at 1920x1200 unless it's one of those games that force you to reduce the settings regardless of what card you have (e.g. Metro 2033).
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
I've used both.  Catalyst Control Center is ****ing awful compared to the nVidia panel, which is why I tend to prefer nVidia products for the moment, but ATI is a lot cheaper in general...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline Davros

I had tons of trouble with catalyst 12.3/4's. 1.26  have been ok so far

Offline newman

I've had, and have extensively used both nvidia and ati cards. Overall, I have to say I prefer nvidia - I simply had less issues while things were running. However, I do have to say my ATI cards had a better track record where longevity is concerned; I'd replace my ATI cards when they were really, truly obsolete but they still worked. I had 3 nvidia cards cook their video memory modules (but all 3 were kind of old at that point anyway). The current nvidia card I have has a pretty elaborate cooling system installed over the whole card - the thing is just encased in piping and fans - so I'm hoping this one won't die on me in that fashion. Sure, they last for at least 3 years, but it's nicer when you get to decide when to replace a card as opposed to the card itself.

...that all being said, I still do prefer nvidia's cards - when they're not fried they just give me less grief in both gaming and work. I seem to recall catalyst drivers doing some funky stuff while working in max.. nothing major, but annoying.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Demitri

Personally use ATI myself. The reason simply being that I find that to get a similarly spec'd nVidia card, they cost far more than the ATIs.
"Brothers and sisters are natural enemies!
Like Englishmen and Scots!
Or Welshmen and Scots!
Or Japanese and Scots!
Or Scots and other Scots!
Damn Scots! They ruined Scotland!" - Groundskeeper Willie