Author Topic: I just wanna say to ATI  (Read 5607 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: I just wanna say to ATI
My experience with ATI is the following: Usually it works and you never really have to bother (or should bother) to update drivers as long as it works. Then it suddenly doesn t work for a game...  hilarity ensues.

My experience with Nvidia is the same.

Both companies have driver issues regularily and installing the newest driver always appears to be a bad idea, to the point that issues are pretty much guarranteed with either company if you update every month :)

On the other hand... once you have found the "right" driver you are often fine for months.... again, with either company.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 08:01:49 am by Mikes »

Been using the new cats every time they come out for ATi every month since the 5870 came out, had one problem thus far and that was for FSO and was resolved the month after.
"Neutrality means that you don't really care, cuz the struggle goes on even when you're not there: Blind and unaware."

"We still believe in all the things that we stood by before,
and after everything we've seen here maybe even more.
I know we're not the only ones, and we were not the first,
and unapologetically we'll stand behind each word."

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i mostly use nvidia because its the evil i know. id like to see a video card with more open architecture, but thats not going to happen any time soon, at least till faster/better fpgas come around.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
just ordered a GTX 670.  will report back results.
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
initial impressions: nvidia drivers have many more options, and i ether got lucky and hit the winning combo on the second try, or they stick better than AMD.  that said, graphics drivers and the individual games don't play together any better than with AMD so far, but forcing it through the control panel works.  CCC beats the hell out of nvidia's control panel though.  much more user friendly, and a lot better design/features, like overdrive, monitoring, fan control, etc.  displays management much better too.  i still haven't been able to get my HDMI connected TV to work.  that's a HUGE negative, as i watch movies and tv and stuff from my computer ALL the time.  it's also my dvd/blu-ray player.

very pleased with the performance.  i saw a jump well past what i was expecting from just one generation difference, and not even going to the top-end with the new one.  as of now, i'm giving the drivers fight to AMD, because CCC is just THAT much better than the incredibly basic nvidia control panel.  working (and easy to use) multi-display is far more important to me than anti-aliasing working all the time.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
initial impressions: nvidia drivers have many more options, and i ether got lucky and hit the winning combo on the second try, or they stick better than AMD.  that said, graphics drivers and the individual games don't play together any better than with AMD so far, but forcing it through the control panel works.  CCC beats the hell out of nvidia's control panel though.  much more user friendly, and a lot better design/features, like overdrive, monitoring, fan control, etc.  displays management much better too.  i still haven't been able to get my HDMI connected TV to work.  that's a HUGE negative, as i watch movies and tv and stuff from my computer ALL the time.  it's also my dvd/blu-ray player.

very pleased with the performance.  i saw a jump well past what i was expecting from just one generation difference, and not even going to the top-end with the new one.  as of now, i'm giving the drivers fight to AMD, because CCC is just THAT much better than the incredibly basic nvidia control panel.  working (and easy to use) multi-display is far more important to me than anti-aliasing working all the time.

I'd be inclined to agree with you that Nvidia's control panel sucks. Driver-level overclocking would be a really nice option to have for Nvidia cards from the control panel. But the Nvidia card manufacturers like the status quo too much for that. They like to "factory" overclock the cards and charge a nice, fat premium for it. Not that that's fundamentally wrong, I guess - letting the end user screw around with things opens up all kinds of avenues of stupid.

I hate that Nvidia's proprietary postprocess AA is better than ATI's, but that's just REALLY nitpicking. Also, I envy your 670.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
even if there's not built-in overclocking, there still needs to be at least basic monitoring IMO.  when i got this, the first thing i wanted to do is verify it was running the right clock speeds, power stepping was working right, temps are ok, etc.  i needed a 3rd party app for that.  granted, it was one i was going to use anyway, but i really shouldn't have to do it that way if i don't want extra programs interfering with my video drivers, because honestly that's a crapshoot.  it can cause MAJOR headaches.

one other thing i want to kind of vent on, though it's hardware related not drivers, is WHY have manufacturers not figured out yet to not place the ports where they will be nearly blocked by the edge of the expansion slot cutout on the case?  the ends of cables are wider than the actual plug.  always.  this is not new.  there needs to be some clearance around the port.  the past 3 video cards i've owned had this problem.  it's remotely possible that TV problems are a result of this, because i don't think the HDMI cable is going in all the way.  although it is sometimes detected by the control panel, just not selectable, and it did make the new hardware sound when plugging it in.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I forget how I got HDMI working on my other laptop, but have you tried extending your desktop onto it?  I can't remember, but that may have been how I got it to actually fire up and display on the TV at my grandparents' house when we were visiting.

Never, ever had problems with Catalyst drivers. I've played everything from legacy DOS games to Crysis and Battlefield on release dates. No issues.

Well, other than the age-old issue of ATI having texture issues with older games. But I'm thankful said applications even run in the first place on modern hardware.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam

I'd be inclined to agree with you that Nvidia's control panel sucks. Driver-level overclocking would be a really nice option to have for Nvidia cards from the control panel. But the Nvidia card manufacturers like the status quo too much for that. They like to "factory" overclock the cards and charge a nice, fat premium for it. Not that that's fundamentally wrong, I guess - letting the end user screw around with things opens up all kinds of avenues of stupid.

I hate that Nvidia's proprietary postprocess AA is better than ATI's, but that's just REALLY nitpicking. Also, I envy your 670.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
yea they did that to keep noobs from bbqing their geforces. you can tweak your clocks, but you need a second download to make it happen.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
that section is not in my nvidia control panel.  nor is the system update one.  and the problem with the HDMI TV is that it's either not detected at all, or not detected properly, and is just a "generic display" that can't be adjusted or displayed to with the control panel.  time to contact support methinks.   :shaking:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
theres a utility from nvidia you need to download to get it. its name slips my mind.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
I downloaded that back when I had my old 9800 GTX+, but I don't remember it actually doing anything, because the manufacturer locked the card.

Offline Davros

could be either coolbits or nvtweak

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
i thought coolbits/nvtweak was 3rd party. i was under the impression that nvidia had its own version.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia-system-tools-6.08-driver.html

Doesn't look like they're updating it anymore.  Shouldn't be an issue for most, though.

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it seems that in order to get my TV to work properly, i must start up my computer with the TV already on and set to the PC input. 

wut.  :wtf:

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
tvs make horrible monitors. i hope you like latency.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
i use it for movies, tv and stuff.  my PC serves as my dvd/blu-ray player and home theater.