Author Topic: Why we won't see a Freespace 3 - G-Police  (Read 11939 times)

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
Re: Why we won't see a Freespace 3 - G-Police
/stumbles onto thread because he saw the words G-Police

PC, so Weapons of Justice, I didn't play it.

I particularly liked the sound of the cannon fire (too bad modern Gatlings don't sound like that), but I haven't heard it in years so it might sound awful to me nowdays if I heard a clip of it again.  That said could the gunships even strafe? If the game had strafing, I don't remember being able to do it. I only remember height.

Irritating enough trying to take down those damned big green flying boats, and the only weapon worth anything against them was that Plasma whatever it was called because the main cannon would take so long you might as well fail the mission (if you didn't DIE from the boat laser spam first), and lasers ate up too much energy per shot Hide behind a building, okay, but then you get shot up by vehicles.

I see G-Police as a game that had a couple things going for it, but I didn't have too much fun with the controls, camera (omg the SWAT-ish van), the feeling of being walled in by the domes... and the awkward tunnel system (you have to enter the traffic tunnel?!? this is 2091 and nobody bothered to build tunnels or some better zone travel facilities for vehicles NOT restricted to the road?!?).

Definitely had less fun with it as I grew older and understood other games and their controls better (e.g. FS).
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Lorric

/stumbles onto thread because he saw the words G-Police

PC, so Weapons of Justice, I didn't play it.

I particularly liked the sound of the cannon fire (too bad modern Gatlings don't sound like that), but I haven't heard it in years so it might sound awful to me nowdays if I heard a clip of it again.  That said could the gunships even strafe? If the game had strafing, I don't remember being able to do it. I only remember height.

Irritating enough trying to take down those damned big green flying boats, and the only weapon worth anything against them was that Plasma whatever it was called because the main cannon would take so long you might as well fail the mission (if you didn't DIE from the boat laser spam first), and lasers ate up too much energy per shot Hide behind a building, okay, but then you get shot up by vehicles.

I see G-Police as a game that had a couple things going for it, but I didn't have too much fun with the controls, camera (omg the SWAT-ish van), the feeling of being walled in by the domes... and the awkward tunnel system (you have to enter the traffic tunnel?!? this is 2091 and nobody bothered to build tunnels or some better zone travel facilities for vehicles NOT restricted to the road?!?).

Definitely had less fun with it as I grew older and understood other games and their controls better (e.g. FS).

It's funny what you say about the cannon fire, I loved the sound too for some reason. And a few minutes ago I popped G-Police in just to have a quick bash with it, and the cannons sound just as lovely. You could try the link to the first mission in the OP if you want to listen to the cannons again. I'm not sure what it is about them, but I have a thing about those cannons too, it's just a really satisfying sound :D

You can't strafe side to side, but you can strafe up and down.

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I think the opening FMV is part of the reason I had less fun with it as I got older. Since the intro needs to draw the player to the game... (I should point out I haven't touched the game for too many years already. Latest attempt was probably close to a decade ago.)

Yeah sure ships going pew pew as a kid looked awesome, but looking back at the intro now, the space battle scene is whack boring. Think I watched the intro once on youtube a few years back... oh great, now my brain's thinking the whole intro's really boring. It just doesn't stand up to time (and people growing up). mjn.mixael bringing up the poor narration now makes things worse and TBH I never thought one bit past the eyecandy when talking about the opening, till he mentioned it.

Nevermind. I'm ranting already, crap. TLDR, intro looked and felt great as a kid; nowaday's I'd end up skipping it or whatever.  :banghead:

I didn't finish the game even back then when I was still all over it. Must be a mission too hard and I kept dying, don't remember. I sure as heck didn't reach 19+ though, not even on later tries distant years later when brains developed more. :nervous: Maybe as far as the mission where you first get the gunship with the dual 25mm gun (big deal, the robot thing had dual 30mm boohoo :banghead:), or maybe even far before that. All I remember is taking down the great big K and getting a gist of some backstabbing (SAGLORD was a very bad spoiler :lol:)

(didn't read the entire thread i probably missed something didn't i)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares
TheHound: "Nice idea, but I have a thing against announcing campaigns before having them already finished."
G5K: "The flipside of that is that if you don't announce your campaign, yet take too long to finish it, other people may independently come up with some of the same ideas."

Offline Lorric

I think the opening FMV is part of the reason I had less fun with it as I got older. Since the intro needs to draw the player to the game... (I should point out I haven't touched the game for too many years already. Latest attempt was probably close to a decade ago.)

Yeah sure ships going pew pew as a kid looked awesome, but looking back at the intro now, the space battle scene is whack boring. Think I watched the intro once on youtube a few years back... oh great, now my brain's thinking the whole intro's really boring. It just doesn't stand up to time (and people growing up). mjn.mixael bringing up the poor narration now makes things worse and TBH I never thought one bit past the eyecandy when talking about the opening, till he mentioned it.

Nevermind. I'm ranting already, crap. TLDR, intro looked and felt great as a kid; nowaday's I'd end up skipping it or whatever.  :banghead:

I didn't finish the game even back then when I was still all over it. Must be a mission too hard and I kept dying, don't remember. I sure as heck didn't reach 19+ though, not even on later tries distant years later when brains developed more. :nervous: Maybe as far as the mission where you first get the gunship with the dual 25mm gun (big deal, the robot thing had dual 30mm boohoo :banghead:), or maybe even far before that. All I remember is taking down the great big K and getting a gist of some backstabbing (SAGLORD was a very bad spoiler :lol:)

(didn't read the entire thread i probably missed something didn't i)

I don't see what's wrong with the narration.

However, I watched the opening, and it has aged. It's looking a bit rough around the edges now, and the graphics on the ships could probably be replicated in a Freespace stage nowadays. But back then it was just wow...

Offline asyikarea51

• -__-||
I'm wishy-washy neutral on this, so I can't really comment (and won't) without inadvertently going into some omg debate on narration and storytelling (I'm the wrong person for a topic like that) and then end up go full circle or whatever. But I do remember skipping the office conversation every time. Think because I could never really hear what the characters were saying half the time, or...

Or maybe I just didn't want to see the boss dude's face. :lol:

(makes mental notes that are bound to be forgotten sooner or later)
Inferno plz
The Power of Nightmares

Offline Lorric

I'm wishy-washy neutral on this, so I can't really comment (and won't) without inadvertently going into some omg debate on narration and storytelling (I'm the wrong person for a topic like that) and then end up go full circle or whatever. But I do remember skipping the office conversation every time. Think because I could never really hear what the characters were saying half the time, or...

Or maybe I just didn't want to see the boss dude's face. :lol:

(makes mental notes that are bound to be forgotten sooner or later)

Well it was actually the female narrator someone criticised. I really like Horton's appearance. Slater and Horton can be a little quiet, but I've never had any real trouble telling what they're saying.

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Man I remember playing the crap out of this demo way back when on my PC. So much fun. :)

Say, Lorric, you mentioned gauging interest in a new space sim, right? No FS3 because not enough people would want to play it?

Did you hear about Starlight Inception and the 3705 people who said, "Yes. I want this game, please make it for me, have some money." And the 8 people among them who said, "I want this so much, I will give you more than $1000 to get it."?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
How does this compare to other Kickstarter projects? Because 3700 people figure doesn't sound impressive when some FPSes are getting millions of sales.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Well, the game achieved its intended funding goal. So there's that. Sure, it didn't get the omgwtf levels of hype Tim Shafer got for his adventure game, but getting funded is an important milestone.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Davros

In case no ones mentioned it g-police runs fine under win7 x64

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I did read the thread. Someone asked why it was relevant to FS3, and you replied by effectively saying "Cause it's a great game"

No, no, no, it's because it's a great game and the people aren't taking to it. But it's looking like it's viewed more as a "marmite" game, which changes things.

I had always hoped someone would eventually release a big project in the genre, whether it's Freespace 3, some other sequel, or a brand new concept, and that would jump start a genre which was quite popular in the day. But there just doesn't seem to be any call for it. Why? It should be a good genre for today, it's a great way to show off modern graphics and systems, which appeals to the eye candy mentality that a lot of people seem to have. Big, gorgeous ships, big explosions, huge fleet battles, surely you'd grab people's attention with that, even the casuals.

Bottom line is I thought G-Police would do a lot better, I was encouraged to see it there, it's the first space combat game I've seen on the Playstation Store, and the PS1 had quite a few of them. But then I look at some of the dreck that has higher ratings...

Unfortunately, as "simple" as the space combat genre is, the truth is that most people suck at it. Every time I hear a really high pitched "pew pew" my mind kind of drops the game by ten points.

On the subject of SOL: Exodus, the game...kind of sucked. The plot and mechanics didn't make a lot of sense, the shooting was boring and lifeless, and the graphics, for a UE3 game, were pretty terrible.

Offline Lorric

Say, Lorric, you mentioned gauging interest in a new space sim, right? No FS3 because not enough people would want to play it?

Did you hear about Starlight Inception and the 3705 people who said, "Yes. I want this game, please make it for me, have some money." And the 8 people among them who said, "I want this so much, I will give you more than $1000 to get it."?

Lorric has returned to the Lorric Ignorance Thread. Why is it the Lorric Ignorance Thread? Because first it was Steam, and now we have two more examples. First, another piece chipping away at my melancholy over the state of the genre. How dare you put logic and reason and evidence in the way of a good rant?  :D

And second, Kickstarter. I first heard of Kickstarter a couple of months ago but have never visited the site. I heard of it from this source though, and while it is satire, it still made me think the idea itself is a joke:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqZ65pUQxyQ&feature=plcp

I thought it was simply people begging for money from strangers and I thought who would give them any, and why, and what's to stop people from just tucking the money into their back pocket and not delivering on their promise? Who would be stupid enough to give their money away? I still don't know if there's anything to stop people just pocketing the money and saying "So long, suckers!" But I was impressed with the site, it's so much more than that.

Anyway, thanks. It gives me hope.

Unfortunately, as "simple" as the space combat genre is, the truth is that most people suck at it. Every time I hear a really high pitched "pew pew" my mind kind of drops the game by ten points.

On the subject of SOL: Exodus, the game...kind of sucked. The plot and mechanics didn't make a lot of sense, the shooting was boring and lifeless, and the graphics, for a UE3 game, were pretty terrible.

Do you mean people suck at making the games or playing the games? I remember playing Colony Wars, no one seemed to be able to complete it, but I could. Colony Wars Vengeance everyone said it was really hard, I had it beat in 2 days. Both Colony Wars games, my friend could barely get past the first block of missions. I could never understand why. Nor can I understand why so many people seem to struggle with it.

I don't understand what you mean by "pew pew".

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
People suck at making the games. But yea, a lot of people don't think in three dimensions and have trouble with games like Freespace which have no spatial references.

This is what I mean by pew pew;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QohyjgmNIBM&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StO9wHYuYPM&feature=watch_response_rev

Also @ 1:17 in the G-police intro.