Author Topic: Why we won't see a Freespace 3 - G-Police  (Read 11942 times)

Offline Lorric

Why we won't see a Freespace 3 - G-Police
Don't worry, the cops aren't coming in to shut down Freespace for some reason. G-Police is a sci-fi shooter that was released on PS1, and I think it's a brilliant game. And I'd strongly recommend it to anyone here. I can see it on the Playstation Store at the tiny price of £1.99 which is an absolute steal. Brilliant story, brilliant gameplay, and the graphics were great for the time too and still look good to me today. Gorgeous FMV. 50 stages (35 story, 15 bonus.) If you buy it and like it, there's a sequel, G-Police: Weapons of Justice. The game which just happens to be the game out of all games I most wish there was a sequel to.

Out of 733 ratings G-Police has a score of 3.33/5. That's garbage. That basically says to people it's a crap game. I guess there's just no market for space shooters in the mainstream anymore.

It has one of the best openings of any game I've ever seen, have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pjpr_Ng722s

Don't worry about spoilers, you can watch that whole video for the opening. You can safely go to part 2 and watch for 1:30 also for the brief at the start of the game if you want. After that it's all spoilers.

I found the first mission if anyone wants to have a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrkrNR_0ZAU

EDIT: This game has a PC version, though I know nothing about it, the link above shows gameplay from the PC version, not the console version. I didn't notice that at first, which suggests the two versions, console or PC are comparable. PC versions of games ported to the PS1 were always superior though. I expect this one also will be. But the PS1 version is going cheap, while I've no idea how much or how easy to find the PC version will be.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 09:15:29 pm by Lorric »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Re: Why we won't see a Freespace 3 - G-Police
Maybe because 'space' is associated with 'geek', and 'geek' is uncool nowadays?  /random

Offline Lorric

Maybe because 'space' is associated with 'geek', and 'geek' is uncool nowadays?  /random

I don't know. It's my favourite genre. And when sci-fi is a still pretty popular genre in film and TV, I just don't get it. Even Star Wars doesn't get a game primarily in the cockpit.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

:wtf:

0:00 - 2:40: Boring timeline of events with a bad narrator. Meh.
2:41 - 3:45: What is this, Star Trek the Motion Picture? Minute long spaceship flyby... No thanks.
3:45 - 6:50: Long narration by obvious "loner soldier" who's too cool for school. Also, family ties lead entire story. Boring.
6:51 - End: Meme Hardass boss doesn't trust "loner soldier" main character. Double meh.

Sorry, I can't watch anymore. This intro is just boring... I had to force myself through it.

FS1 intro.. now THAT'S an intro. It's exciting, it begins the mystery, and just enough info to get you hooked.

EDIT: Furthermore, the FS2 intro is also good.. and an example of narration done better than this yawnfest... The FS2 narration builds and leads to something. The G-Police narration just drags on.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Is there a PC version? I won't even bother looking at a console-only game (mostly because I don't have a PS1, nor any console for that matter).

Offline Vip

Is there a PC version? I won't even bother looking at a console-only game (mostly because I don't have a PS1, nor any console for that matter).

Actually there is, it was even added to one of the ancient issues of CD-Action (year 2000 I believe).
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Parias

Definitely - the demo of this game was one of the first things I played back when I got one of those fancypants 3dfx Voodoo cards (and was used as a popular benchmarking title back in the day if I recall right). I think the game was built around Glide to that end however, so be ready to have to hack around a bit to get it playable.

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
FWIW, I loved G-Police back I  the day.

I'm totally keen for that PC version of it.

Offline Lorric

:wtf:

0:00 - 2:40: Boring timeline of events with a bad narrator. Meh.
2:41 - 3:45: What is this, Star Trek the Motion Picture? Minute long spaceship flyby... No thanks.
3:45 - 6:50: Long narration by obvious "loner soldier" who's too cool for school. Also, family ties lead entire story. Boring.
6:51 - End: Meme Hardass boss doesn't trust "loner soldier" main character. Double meh.

Sorry, I can't watch anymore. This intro is just boring... I had to force myself through it.

FS1 intro.. now THAT'S an intro. It's exciting, it begins the mystery, and just enough info to get you hooked.

EDIT: Furthermore, the FS2 intro is also good.. and an example of narration done better than this yawnfest... The FS2 narration builds and leads to something. The G-Police narration just drags on.

Each to his own I guess. 240p really robs the video of what it should be graphically, although in 2012 it won't have the wow factor it had back then. There's one thing that needs pointing out though. Family ties do not lead the whole story. I was really put off by that too when I first played, I was lucky someone lent me the game when I got my first taste. But that's just the hook in the story they use to get your character out there. You basically never hear about his sister again in the whole story, as it goes in a completely unexpected direction. That's worth pointing out for others too who might be put off by it. Her death is relevant in the end, but central, hell no.

Game has a slow burn to it story wise to begin with.

[/quote]
FWIW, I loved G-Police back I  the day.

I'm totally keen for that PC version of it.

Yay, the first endorsment! :D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:39:54 pm by Lorric »

Offline Lorric

I've just taken a look at that video of the first mission again, and that IS the PC version for those interested in a PC version. I can tell as there's a mouse cursor on there.

I have no idea if it would be compatible with today's hardware, although that person seems to be able to work it, maybe you could ask them.

I'm going to update the OP.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Each to his own I guess. 240p really robs the video of what it should be graphically, although in 2012 it won't have the wow factor it had back then.

Writing deficiencies can't really be covered by graphics.

Also, I'm curious, why did you title the thread with "Why we won't see an FS3"? G-Police came out 2 years before FS2, after all.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Lorric

Each to his own I guess. 240p really robs the video of what it should be graphically, although in 2012 it won't have the wow factor it had back then.

Writing deficiencies can't really be covered by graphics.

Also, I'm curious, why did you title the thread with "Why we won't see an FS3"? G-Police came out 2 years before FS2, after all.

I don't think there are any deficiencies, I think they do a great job of laying out the World and how it got that way in 2097 for you. Do you think it has deficiencies? Taste in story is about as measurable for quality as taste in music. Someone might show you a piece of music, they tell you it's awesome and it's cleaned up awards and you think it's garbage and barely worthy of being called music.

As for your question, with new space combat shooters simply not being released at all now, with this game getting put onto the Playstation Store and at such a fantastic price, this is about the best chance I can see to guage opinion on such games in this day and age. It's a quality example of the genre, at a fantastic price, and it's getting shot down. It's sad, but with that kind of opinion I just can't see the genre making a comeback, and I don't understand why it's got that way. You'd think people would be crying out for a good game in this genre after so long, that if someone made a great game they'd clean up because of that, but it seems not.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
So, you're gauging commercial interest in a potential new space sim on PC by the sales of a rerelease of a 15-year-old game for a console? Fascinating approach, that.

Also, you may not have noticed, but Diaspora's release was popular enough to bring down the site on Wednesday, and popular enough to make it onto Kotaku, Slashdot, Escapist......

Sure, space sims aren't as big as they were, and they'll never get as big as Medal of Duty: Call of Honor 3: Revengeance, but I would not go so far as to pronounce the genre dead beyond saving. With todays' Indie games scene, surely there are possibilities we did not have 10, or even 5 years ago.

Offline Wobble73

• Reality is for people with no imagination
    • Steam
I used to have this for the PC, I too enjoyed it, though I never completed it!  :sigh:
Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?
Early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

You would be well adviced to question the wisdom of older forumites, we all have our preferences and perversions

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
As for your question, with new space combat shooters simply not being released at all now, with this game getting put onto the Playstation Store and at such a fantastic price, this is about the best chance I can see to guage opinion on such games in this day and age. It's a quality example of the genre, at a fantastic price, and it's getting shot down.

Ah, excuse me? Evocron Mercinary was on sale on Steam not too long ago, and from what I've heard it's a pretty good 6DOF shooter. Not only that, but there's also this fascinating gem called Miner Wars that I so do wish to play.

Space combat shooters are still being released, but they're not getting the fame and glory as many of the FPS being released these days because 1. They're not on console and 2. They're often developed/produced by "obscure" companies (a.k.a. anybody who's not Blizzard, Crytek, EA, Valve, etc.)
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline Lorric

So, you're gauging commercial interest in a potential new space sim on PC by the sales of a rerelease of a 15-year-old game for a console? Fascinating approach, that.

Also, you may not have noticed, but Diaspora's release was popular enough to bring down the site on Wednesday, and popular enough to make it onto Kotaku, Slashdot, Escapist......

Sure, space sims aren't as big as they were, and they'll never get as big as Medal of Duty: Call of Honor 3: Revengeance, but I would not go so far as to pronounce the genre dead beyond saving. With todays' Indie games scene, surely there are possibilities we did not have 10, or even 5 years ago.

Not sales. Ratings. And you can only rate the game if you made a purchase. It's a 15 year old game, so it will be "new" to a lot of people.

But Diaspora is free, isn't it? So it doesn't count, I'm talking about a commercial release.

You are right though, I have been very disillusioned and still am with the current state of gaming, and the indies, I'd still play a space shooter with PS1 graphics if it was good. But damn it, I want to see an epic game with today's technology, something big and fresh and cutting edge.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Not sales. Ratings. And you can only rate the game if you made a purchase. It's a 15 year old game, so it will be "new" to a lot of people.

What are you counting then? Number of ratings submitted (not everyone who buys a game rates it), or the average rating (newsflash, just because you like a game does not mean Joe Otherperson will, too)?
In both cases, I do not believe the result you're getting is in any way representative for interest in the genre itself; especially when we consider that the market you are watching is very, very limited and has no overlap at all with the traditional venue for space sims.

Also, where are you getting the impression that people think it's a new game, when it is pretty clear that it's "just" a rerelease? In general, the first people who buy those are the people who knew the original; given that it's a 15-year-old game, that market isn't very big to begin with.

Saying that Diaspora doesn't count because it's free is not a good thing to do IMHO. Sure, there are more people interested in free stuff, but you can use free stuff to gauge interest in the genre; This data can then be used to estimate how many people would be willing to pay for similar games.

But damn it, I want to see an epic game with today's technology, something big and fresh and cutting edge.

Alas, the best way to get there right now is to get a few like-minded people together, build a prototype using UDK, Unity, CryEngine or whatever, and then shop it around on kickstarter et al to get funding for completion.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 07:01:51 am by The E »

Offline Lorric

What are you counting then? Number of ratings submitted (not everyone who buys a game rates it), or the average rating (newsflash, just because you like a game does not mean Joe Otherperson will, too)?
In both cases, I do not believe the result you're getting is in any way representative for interest in the genre itself; especially when we consider that the market you are watching is very, very limited and has no overlap at all with the traditional venue for space sims.

Also, where are you getting the impression that people think it's a new game, when it is pretty clear that it's "just" a rerelease? In general, the first people who buy those are the people who knew the original; given that it's a 15-year-old game, that market isn't very big to begin with.

Saying that Diaspora doesn't count because it's free is not a good thing to do IMHO. Sure, there are more people interested in free stuff, but you can use free stuff to gauge interest in the genre; This data can then be used to estimate how many people would be willing to pay for similar games.

But damn it, I want to see an epic game with today's technology, something big and fresh and cutting edge.

Alas, the best way to get there right now is to get a few like-minded people together, build a prototype using UDK, Unity, CryEngine or whatever, and then shop it around on kickstarter et al to get funding for completion.

The average rating. I mentioned the number to show it wasn't like 30 people or something.

And by new I mean because the game will have gone under the radar for a lot of people being that old and with the core demographic of gaming being young. You're not going to the buy the game if you already own it, are you? That's why there's a market for these old classics because there's a new set of people to market them to.

I would put no stock in free stuff, except maybe a demo for an upcoming priced product.

I stream a lot of football. That's soccer for you Americans. I enjoy it a lot. But if someone came and cut off all the streams, then offered up a package, even at a cheap price, I wouldn't buy it. And I think a lot of people would be the same. Similarly, a lot of people would grab a free game and play it, but try to charge even a cheap price and they won't touch it. You need to make people put their money where their mouth is.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
    • Steam
    • Twitter
733 people still do not make a significant signifier for anything. And an average rating for a particular game is in no way an average rating for the entire genre that game belongs to.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Based on what I've seen so far... I'm still having a hard time with your basic premise that G-Police is a "quality" example of the genre...
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.