Author Topic: Alternate Torrent Mirrors?  (Read 3564 times)

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Alternate Torrent Mirrors?
So... question... why doesn't anyone ever use gameupdates.org for their torrents?  :confused:
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:32:39 pm by Swifty »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Re: Re: Where Have You Seen Diaspora Mentioned?
Server seeded torrents.  Once you upload your torrent file, there are like 3-5 servers that grab your torrent.  Once they have reached 100%, your torrent becomes searchable.  They continue to seed as needed to give the torrent that much more oomph to get off the ground and keep the speed up.  I've been using it since October 2007.

http://gameupdates.org/faq.php

I'd upload it, but that would require I first download it.  If enough people with the source files coordinate, they could get it uploaded to gameupdates much sooner that I could at 90KB/s if I'm a) not at home on satellite and b) lucky

guide on how to upload torrents at gameupdates  EDIT: for uTorrent... for Azureus, follow the post above that one.

I'll eventually put up links later, but it will probably be days (maybe weeks) before I can get it all uploaded.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
The problem that I see with Game Updates is that it is a "private" tracker, so if someone wants to use it they have to signup with the site just to download.  Then once they are on there, peers are completely separate from the rest of the peers on the "open" trackers.  That is even more of a barrier to download than the problems that have appeared because of our current torrents.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
The problem that I see with Game Updates is that it is a "private" tracker, so if someone wants to use it they have to signup with the site just to download.  Then once they are on there, peers are completely separate from the rest of the peers on the "open" trackers.  That is even more of a barrier to download than the problems that have appeared because of our current torrents.

No.

You only have to sign up to upload (as well you should).  Anyone can search and download torrents from gameupdates.org to their heart's content.  Their results show up on Google (sometimes very high or at the top of the list, depending).

Can I upload your torrents to other trackers?

No. Only users originating from GameUpdates.org can use the tracker. Posting our torrents on other trackers is useless, since most people who attempt to download them will be unable to connect with us. This generates a lot of frustration and bad-will against us at GameUpdates.

Complaints from other sites' administrative staff about our torrents being posted on their sites will result in the banning of the users responsible.

EDIT: Example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=freespace+2+patch  (#4)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:45:33 am by jr2 »

Offline Echelon9

Perhaps I've misunderstood, but doesn't the following comment essentially lock the use of trackers on the chosen torrent to only the GameUpdates one?

...Posting our torrents on other trackers is useless, since most people who attempt to download them will be unable to connect with us. This generates a lot of frustration and bad-will against us at GameUpdates.

That would be something of a blocking issue for us.

Regardless, we've released R1 and comments seem to be that downloading the torrents now is pretty quick.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Mm.. basically, you will need two torrents, unless you want to only use gameupdates.org

What they are saying is you can't take your current torrent and upload it with it's trackers it at gameupdates.org (have to remove the trackers and only have gameupdates.org), and you can't take a torrent at gameupdates.org, then take the .torrent, add other trackers to it, and distribute.

Does that clear up the confusion?

EDIT: Basically, I hate how when something popular is released:

1) direct server downloads go down
2) traditional torrents are slow as ****
3) I worry that we lose people ... well I suppose anyone that's got half a tech-savvy braincell knows that if a download isn't available and the torrent is slow, it's just really really popular, but I think quite a few tech n00bs might think that it's basically going to take forever to get it, and not realize that the situation will correct itself.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:55:22 am by jr2 »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Sounds like a lot of hassle to be honest. Upload it there if you want but I doubt it's worth it for us to do it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
2) traditional torrents are slow as ****

Yeahno. The diaspora torrent sped right up after we got 500+ seeders.

Look, I appreciate your enthusiasm for this, but a solution that requires people to make an account somewhere else and that insists on exclusiveness (as opposed to just registering a torrent with a few of the more popular trackers) seems like a lot of work for little gain.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Hmm.  Can I at least send the gameupdates .torrent files to some people who already have the files and want to seed?  All I need is to get the torrents (mac, linux, win) uploaded to the servers, once that's done, I don't have to do anything; it will take care of itself at that point.

Basically, is there anyone who would be willing to assist?  The more, the less time it takes to upload.  I'm not asking you to stay on and seed, just until the servers get 100%.  Like I said before, the torrent is not visible until then so it's not like we would have to be contending with leechers.

jr2, is it possible for you to use your gameupdates account to submit the torrent, and let somebody else actually upload the thing? I'd be willing to help if I didn't have to register.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Yes, actually... just so you're aware, however, I'll get the 'credit' for uploading a pretty popular torrent.  :rolleyes:  If you wish to do that, I can certainly give you the appropriate .torrent to start uploading the file(s)... problem is I have to download the original Diaspora files to start.  I'd have to wait until I'm done for the day and get back to barracks (reserves, training, but not doing much training ATM as the stupid dates were changed, which means money for me to sit and do nothing until the ACTUAL date, but I'm not complaining, I need it) as I'm using my cell data  now.  However, if you wish to upload, well, I've changed my password to a temporary one.  Let's just say, if I started a poll, what would one of the options usually always be? all lower case  ;)  EDIT you may have to google to get the spelling right.  I had to.

I see... I'll see what I can do when I get home, unless somebody else feels like doing it first.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
FMI, what's the size of the 3 different downloads, just so I know what I'm dealing with here?

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
FMI, what's the size of the 3 different downloads, just so I know what I'm dealing with here?
The windows installer and linux tarball is ~1.2GB. The OS X version is ~1.4GB.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
So, total of 3.8 GB.  At 90KB/s, that would take me 12.298 solid hours of uploading.  Does anyone here have a fat pipe that they can upload with?

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
OK, downloading Diaspora now, looks like the max here is about 1.0 MB/sec, and the upload is, as I figured, 90KB/sec.  So maybe an hour+ and I can start seeding.  EDIT: downloading all 3 I mean.

EDIT: finished, creating torrents now, I'll post them momentarily. 

Basically, even if you are currently seeding the other torrent, you will be able to seed this, as a separate torrent, using the exact same file on your disk.  Just download the .torrent, and save it to the same location on your disk where you downloaded the respective Diaspora installer.

EDIT2:

Direct link to .torrent files:

Linux

Mac

Windows

Release pages here
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 06:34:22 pm by jr2 »

Re: Where Have You Seen Diaspora Mentioned?
OK. Got the .torrents, almost have the all the files, my upload is 0.66 Mbps. Ready to start something, now what?

EDIT: Oh, nvm. That was simple.

Anybody else confused, just click the download links on the gameupdates page, and download them into the same directory where you already have the installer(s). It should check them, and then start seeding them. (right?)

EDIT2: So that's what happens when you edit a post while it's split out. Neat.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 07:34:40 pm by Scourge of Ages »

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
Re: Alternate Torrent Mirrors?
Right.

EDIT: Just checking, did it start uploading after it checked?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 08:15:25 pm by jr2 »

Yep. How will I know when it's done, though?

Offline flecht

I tried to help but for some strange reason the only thing I get is error about downloading from gameupdates or revisiting.

Basically, even if you are currently seeding the other torrent, you will be able to seed this, as a separate torrent, using the exact same file on your disk.
Not true for KTorrent.