Author Topic: I just finished Mass Effect 3 (with the extended DLC). SPOILERS.  (Read 7269 times)

I just finished Mass Effect 3 (with the extended DLC). SPOILERS.
There has been a lot of hate about the ending. The ending has not fundamentally changed with the extended cut DLC (Except that you can now opt for "I don't choose, and let everything continue as you planned"),. So I wonder why people hated it so much?

Offline Ravenholme

• (d.h.f)
Re: I just finished Mass Effect 3 (with the extended DLC). SPOILERS.
Still thought that as an ending to the game it was pure ****, but at least the expanded DLC made it "coherent" and let us know what our choices throughout had lead to
Full Auto - I've got a bullet here with your name on it, and I'm going to keep firing until I find out which one it is.

<The_E>   Several sex-based solutions come to mind
<The_E>   Errr
<The_E>   *sexp

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Still thought that as an ending to the game it was pure ****, but at least the expanded DLC made it "coherent" and let us know what our choices throughout had lead to

None of your choices in Mass Effect (any) matter beyond the colour of the sun and a quip or two.

Just sayin'.

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin

None of your choices in Mass Effect (any) matter beyond the colour of the sun and a quip or two.

Just sayin'.

Yeah, this is basically why most people hated it. We've got a whole thread with a lot of arguing about it. :P

Just sayin'.

So it's basically the only point in the entire game where this is not the case - As for both for the leading up and the aftermath, your choices do matter. For most of the stories in the game, the ending is basically the epilogue, whilst the individual stories have been concluded in their respective missions (Genophage, Rannoch, Squadmates, etc.)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR

Just sayin'.

Well, they do matter a bit as they affect the cost (in lives) of getting to the end.
But given the power of the reapers it only stands to reason that the gathering of the armies wouldn't matter much.

Doesn't matter much if I choose Bob or Carl to go with me, when neither of them have a rocket launcher and we're facing tanks.
Frankly, by making the reapers so powerfull they kinda shot themselves in hte foot regarding the end.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
So it's basically the only point in the entire game where this is not the case

It's also a point pivotal enough that by not mattering here, they really don't matter anywhere else.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
Couple the endings with what is arguably the most mediocre mission in the game (possibly in the series as well) and you get the epic steaming pile of crap that everyone is complaining about. If Bioware had gotten either one of them remotely right the backlash wouldn't have been nearly as bad. They really did drop the ball on the retake earth mission as it was supposed to follow the same design structure of the suicide mission in ME2 except on a grander scale. You would be directing your assets instead of individual squad mates, so you would see the the Krogan, Turians, Asari, etc carrying out their assigned missions as you progressed through yours but instead all we got was a generic wave after wave style of anticlimatic garbage followed by the terrible endings. The extended cut was like putting a bandaid on a gaping festering wound.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

Offline newman

I've found the extended DLC a bit like putting a bunch of tabasco sauce all over food you don't like. It'll mask out the worst of it but the food you hate is still there. It makes it bearable but it doesn't make you suddenly like it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
I thought the original ending had to do with eezo prematurely killing stars (hinted to in ME2's Tali recruitment mission), and that the Reapers were created to slow that process by destroying civilizations capable of using eezo for interstellar travel.  The game was then leaked and the devs changed the ending on the fly.  Might want to verify this.

R

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
I've hear that as well. But if it is the case, bioware still ****ed up. Not only did they allow the story to get leaked, but also for the fact that rather then just continuing forwards with the original plan, they apparently ('I've not read the doc) undertook a massive rewrite of the story at a late stage of development.

But this is all really rumours and conjecture, so I won't stake my tea and crumpets on it.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I have just completed it and yes the ending sucks, i wanted to save my fem shep for garrus so i took the best destroy ending, problem with that the geth died, which i hated as i was over the moon when i brought peace between the geth and quarians. Ended up killing them. 

While i agree that Mass effect 3's endings are poor, this is not the only big game to suffer from this, in fact from all the games i have played i have yet to play one that had didn't have a ending that was poor and rushed. For example, Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Doom 3, Borderlands, Quake 4, KotOR 1 and 2,  Darksiders 1 and 2, Call of Duty series, Space Marine, Dawn of War 2, Batman Arkham city, Transformers Fall of Cybertron, Gears of War 3, Deadspace 1 and 2.

All those games listed are brillant, fantastic games yet all there endings are pretty bad, anti-climatic or rushed and offer no real closure. So i dunno why ME3 got such stick for it when the vast majority of game endings are pretty poor. Its the same with long running TV series, the final episodes 9 times out of 10 are normally really bad. The only game i have played were the ending was pretty good was realms of the Haunting in 1996 but that game was one of kind.

For me its the journey of the series i find more important than the ending, for example watching Garrus grow over the 3 games i find more rewarding than the end. So in that regard Mass Effect to me is still one of the greatest game series and stories, next to Freespace, starcraft and Deadspace there is.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 07:39:23 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Mort

• The dog that went meow
I thought the dark matter ending was pretty damn stupid. I'm happy with the extended cut ending(haven't played leviathan) probably because I'm easily satisfied

The problem with the ME3 ending, starbug, is that BioWare was saying over and over that all our choices in all three games would matter when it came to the ending, and all that happens in ME3 is numbers on a meter and red, blue, or green lights.  It isn't that the ending sucks, it is just that the ending is so far below what BioWare was promising everyone.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

The problem with the ME3 ending, starbug, is that BioWare was saying over and over that all our choices in all three games would matter when it came to the ending, and all that happens in ME3 is numbers on a meter and red, blue, or green lights.  It isn't that the ending sucks, it is just that the ending is so far below what BioWare was promising everyone.

Well, since your war points actually do amount for the ending in a rather significant way (A really low amount of points only gives you the destroy reaper option, which causes MASSIVE collateral damage and basically turns your galaxy into a post apocalyptic wasteland. Nuke, I know what you are thinking right now :P) , you can say that all your choices actually matter.
However, since it also should be possible for new players to get the maximum amount of war points, it kinda gets problematic. They were technically correct when they said that (the best kind of correct :P).

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Your choices never mattered on any Mass Effect game, if you let mordin die in ME2, he gets replaced by a Not-Mordin Salarian, if Legion dies, he gets replaced by a Not-Legion Geth, this becoems more jarring towards all the endings of Mass Effect.

-In ME, your ending choices are to save or let the council die, if they die they are replaced by another council of douchebags, if they live, they are still douchebags, all that changes is the cinematic of what is exploding, the De. Ascension or Alliance ships.
-In ME2, your ending determines if the color of the explosion is blue or red (:p) and if you get 1000 War Ass. for Red or Blue endings in ME3.
-In ME3, you get the full spectrum: R, G or B, you actually have MORE choices for endings in ME3 (or should I say colors of explosions :P).
-According to the books, Anderson rage quits if you chose him as counselor on ME1, so the choice between him and Udina is pointless.

I could go on, but I think you get my point, all the choices on the Mass Effect franchise are purely cosmetic, they don't change the predetermined stories Bioware wrote for you, don't like it in ME3? Well f**k you! You liked it in all the other games, why are you *****ing NOW?

It took me months to realize why, but I really disliked ME post two, I didn't buy the third one for a reason I didn't understand at the time, good thing, because the lack of closure is not even subtle.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You know I'd actually argue that BioWare knocked it out of the park in terms of your choices mattering with one storyline. The Wrex/Tuchanka/Genophage arc comes to an incredible conclusion that's both emotionally cathartic and suggests that your decisions will alter the future of the entire Krogan species.

Part of the reason people say the ending is so terrible (this is aimed at Joshua) is because the events of the ending render what happened on Tuchanka (or with the Geth and Quarians, or anything else) irrelevant. It's as if you've played a careful game of chess and at the end a ghost kid tells you it's going to be scored by checkers rules. We wrestled with these difficult decisions because we could imagine how they'd alter the future. The end of ME3 changes the status quo of the galaxy so dramatically that all those futures we imagined are no longer important.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Personally I reckon they were just trying to outdo the Dragon Age II team

Dragon Age Dev : Ha! Our players are going spend the whole game choosing between mages and templars and then at the end we we kick them in the crotch and tell them that their choices didn't matter.

ME3 Dev: That sounds cool. I think we can beat that though, we could make an ending that screws over all 3 games.....
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
A point that hasn't really been addressed: http://2muchgaming.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Take-Back-Earth-ME3.jpg

You can't actually do that. But thanks for trying.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Well despite the endings i still loved playing and enjoyed them. That's is the most important bit for me, wether you enjoyed it or not and i did. Also i ain't gonna lie i did shed a tear for mordin while curing the geno and legion. Think it was down to the music for which i loved the piano solo's, and this is true never once has a game made me shed a tear but those bits did, must be getting soppy in my old age of 29 lol.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-