Author Topic: I just finished Mass Effect 3 (with the extended DLC). SPOILERS.  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Mikes

Re: I just finished Mass Effect 3 (with the extended DLC). SPOILERS.
Still thought that as an ending to the game it was pure ****, but at least the expanded DLC made it "coherent" and let us know what our choices throughout had lead to

None of your choices in Mass Effect (any) matter beyond the colour of the sun and a quip or two.

Just sayin'.

Well... to put matters in perspective... couldn t you say the same about Deus Ex?

Also... I wouldn t consider the fact that pretty much every major character in all 3 games can die at some point, based on your choices, all too lightly.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 10:45:50 am by Mikes »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Still thought that as an ending to the game it was pure ****, but at least the expanded DLC made it "coherent" and let us know what our choices throughout had lead to

None of your choices in Mass Effect (any) matter beyond the colour of the sun and a quip or two.

Just sayin'.

Well... to put matters in perspective... couldn t you say the same about Deus Ex?

Did Deus Ex have a multi-million dollar ad campaign telling us that 'Yes. Your choices will changes the outcome of this story.'?  I don't think it did, but that was years ago.

Also... I wouldn t consider the fact that pretty much every major character in all 3 games can die at some point, based on your choices, all too lightly.

Except that if they die, the story doesn't really change.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Wait, ME3 had a major ad campaign ? o.o

Was it only in US or something ? I don't remember anything aside from a few trailers, nothing more than any other AAA title.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Your choices never mattered on any Mass Effect game, if you let mordin die in ME2, he gets replaced by a Not-Mordin Salarian, if Legion dies, he gets replaced by a Not-Legion Geth, this becoems more jarring towards all the endings of Mass Effect.

If legion dies, you are unable to get a peacefull resolution in the Geth-Quarion conflict. You can choose either one or the other.

We wrestled with these difficult decisions because we could imagine how they'd alter the future. The end of ME3 changes the status quo of the galaxy so dramatically that all those futures we imagined are no longer important.

Never looked at it that way. I beg to differ a bit, though. If you choose the "Control Reaper" ending, whether the quarians or the geth lived or the genophage is cured still matters, as even the reaper fleet can not fix that. If you choose the "destroy reaper" ending, the results of the genophage still matters, as does it with the synthesis ending. Also, the synthesis ending becomes completely illogicial when all significant synthetic life has been wiped out anyway.

Yeah, and when you choose the "I will not use the crucible ending", you basically do get screwed over. Fair enough :P.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You're right that there are some consequences, but take the genophage arc -

If you pick control, Shep's enormous reaper police force defuses the possibility of a resurgent Krogan empire, undercutting your decision on Tuchanka.
If you pick destroy the decision's still meaningful, post-Extended Cut. Pre Extended Cut we believed there was no more FTL travel so there could be no resurgent Krogan empire and Wrex would never see his home again.
If you pick synthesis, what does the genophage even mean if all biology has merged with technology? Again, decision undercut.

I'm not arguing that there isn't some follow through, you're totally right about that. But it still seems to change the foundation so profoundly that your choice is robbed of its power.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Wait, ME3 had a major ad campaign ? o.o

Was it only in US or something ? I don't remember anything aside from a few trailers, nothing more than any other AAA title.
I remember seeing commercials for it during prime-time and sporting events and such.  It wasn't exactly the level that Blizzard is hitting now with Mists of Pandaria, but it was still fairly impressive.

Offline Mikes

So the main complaint with the game - sort of -  is the advertising campaign?

If that's so then with respect .... PFFFFFFFT :P

I mean I get it.... a lot of people expected *more* (TM) ...  what I don't get is how that (for a lot of people - at least going by Metacritic) suddenly makes this "the worst game ever".

Especially... since there are very very few games that off a similar amount of choice and storyline depth as the ME series - if any.

The only recent ones that come to mind would be Alpha Protocol, but there certainly aren t any universe moving questions being tackled in that story.... the other contender would be the Witcher (2), which offered a huge amount of choice including a branching storyline and.... guess what? An ending that pissed off a lot of people because they *wanted something else* ... (personally I thought it was perfect in the context of both the books and the games mood).

People are silly :P

Except that if they die, the story doesn't really change.

Imho the ME series, and especially the 2nd part, has been much more about the quite excellent companion stories rather than the usually very short and somewhat meh main storyarc.

In that respect I would say the third part is very much true to its roots lol ;)

I.e. : Enjoy the journey... you will have a hard time finding a better one these days.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 06:48:29 pm by Mikes »

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
So the main complaint with the game - sort of -  is the advertising campaign?

If that's so then with respect .... PFFFFFFFT :P

No.  And congrats on actually managing to offend me: that's quite the accomplishment.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Especially... since there are very very few games that off a similar amount of choice and storyline depth as the ME series - if any.

While you are correct, this only really makes the problem worse. The last ten minutes of it come from some other universe that is none of these things. The represent, in essence, a betrayal of all this, and the fact that some people find a last-minute betrayal of everything the series stood for to be an irredeemable fault should not remotely surprise you.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
In essence:

Quote from: Mass Effect 3 ending
I reject your reality, and substitute my own.

Offline Mikes

While you are correct, this only really makes the problem worse. The last ten minutes of it come from some other universe that is none of these things. The represent, in essence, a betrayal of all this, and the fact that some people find a last-minute betrayal of everything the series stood for to be an irredeemable fault should not remotely surprise you.

For me a bad ending doesn't ruin the journey. It's unfortunate, that's all.

Bad endings to huge Sci Fi series seem to be somewhat of a trend as well. First BSG, now ME.
Still... while I wish either ending had been done better, I still treasure both series for what they did offer.

I mean, what's the alternative? Not play/watch them at all and miss out on all the good stuff?
Or rather play/watch something that is inherently inferior for 99% of the time and pretend one enjoys it more just because it may have an "acceptable" ending?

(Heck even large established sci fi works like Hamiltons Nights Dawn trilogy had ****ty Deus Ex Machina Endings and still received critical praise overall - and rightfully so.)

/shrugs.

Anyways, just because the ending sucks doesn't make it a "bad game". That's my story and I'm sticking to it :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:19:16 pm by Mikes »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Anyways, just because the ending sucks doesn't make it a "bad game". That's my story and I'm sticking to it

quite right Mikes.  A bad ending does not make it a bad game, same with TV shows.

With Mass Effect 4 now having been confirmed i wonder if that will be a sequel or prequel, either way i hope that Bioware learn a couple of lessons from the ME3 endings. Although i am happy we will be getting DLC for retaking of Omega.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:06:31 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Luis Dias

I was going to depict ME4 as a MORRRRPG (or whatever acronym you prefer) WOW-lookalike, given their work in SWTOR.

However, because that kinda tanked, that's probably a no-go now.

The founders of Bioware have left the company this week though, so I guess it's all EA calling the shots now. I predict it's all downhill from now on.

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
I played all the 3 games.

I only dropped the Mass Effect 1 because of that damn "race" in the end that you have 30 seconds to enter at the portal and go to the Citadel...i never did it. D:

and i dripped ME 3 too because if some "stairs bug", as much as i tried it, some stairs siply didn´t worked for me! d:

So after Thessia, i never played the rest fo the game, and after the format i dont on my computer, i never had patience  to play everything again... so i saw the Paragon walkthrough and saw the monstrosity at the ending (**** you again ghost boy!).´

The games as a whole, where just awesome, but the ending was just too much ****, maybe if they did a ending like "Welll, our bplan failed, we are completely ****ed and we will day, lets do a final orgy to humanity and enjoy our last days of life." would be better than this all Deus Ex Machina ****...

:/

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
The founders of Bioware have left the company this week though, so I guess it's all EA calling the shots now. I predict it's all downhill from now on.

Technically EA should not be calling the shots as they are publishers. I know thats not how it works but. It is funny that after they have left to go on to other things and brew beer, that Bioware announces 3 new games, the next Mass Effect game which could be a MMO, (Old Republic by all accounts isn't a bad game its that it uses the old subscription model like WOW, which itself is losing members to the free to play MMOs like guild wars 2.  I hope it isn't a MMO as i believe is should be another singleplayer game) Dragon Age 3 Inqustion which includes multiplayer aargh!!!, a brand new IP and new single player DLC for ME3. It had to happen sooner or later the founders leaving, thats business for you, people move on. I don't think it should be counted as a bad thing yet.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt

Technically EA should not be calling the shots as they are publishers. I know thats not how it works but. It is funny that after they have left to go on to other things and brew beer, that Bioware announces 3 new games, the next Mass Effect game which could be a MMO, (Old Republic by all accounts isn't a bad game its that it uses the old subscription model like WOW, which itself is losing members to the free to play MMOs like guild wars 2.  I hope it isn't a MMO as i believe is should be another singleplayer game) Dragon Age 3 Inqustion which includes multiplayer aargh!!!, a brand new IP and new single player DLC for ME3. It had to happen sooner or later the founders leaving, thats business for you, people move on. I don't think it should be counted as a bad thing yet.

EA ****ed with Command& Conquer and now they are planning to **** with Mass Effect too?
damn...i hate EA...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
EA ****ed with Command& Conquer and now they are planning to **** with Mass Effect too?
damn...i hate EA...

They've been ****ing with Mass Effect in various ways since ME2, though probably not in the ways people realize. BioWare itself seems pretty driven to mainstream its games. EA's influence is more apparent in marketing and DLC decisions.

Offline Beskargam

• We'z got a nob to lead us boys, wadaful.
In a lot of ways I think that the mainstreaming has paid off apart from a poor art/story design very few parts

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I don't disagree, I think Mass Effect 3 had the best gameplay of any of their titles since...BG2 maybe?

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
damn...i hate EA...

They've been ****ing with Mass Effect in various ways since ME2, though probably not in the ways people realize. BioWare itself seems pretty driven to mainstream its games. EA's influence is more apparent in marketing and DLC decisions.

Bioware lost its (pardon the expression) spirit after Mass Effect 3 and Dragon Age 2. sad, really...

but, what in Mass Effect 2 is so ****ed up? for me, it was a peak to the ME 2 experience and i enjoyed it, much more than ME 1 or 3. D:

I don't disagree, I think Mass Effect 3 had the best gameplay of any of their titles since...BG2 maybe?

I tried to play Baldur´s Gate 2, i dropped it very frustrated with the isometric kind of thing...it simply didn´t woked for me. :/