Author Topic: Soo the ending ? (warning: ending spoilers!)  (Read 15166 times)

Offline KaraBulut

• Friendly old school gamer
Soo the ending ? (warning: ending spoilers!)
I know the dev team is making episodic releases but I don't think you can continue the story of the 3 Vipers left in the void.

That being said, amazing job, far better than many AAA titles out there and this was only 5 missions.
My only complaint can be the length, other than that this is the BSG experience I was waiting for.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 06:37:20 am by newman »

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
You do realize that there's another ending available, right?

Also, we never planned to have a continuing story throughout all releases; the next release will feature a completely different and somewhat unrelated campaign.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline newman

I agree it's short, but if we had went for a longer campaign we'd still be in R1 development, who knows for how long. Right now it was more important to get R1 out the door than anything else. Next release shouldn't take us nearly as long and will feature additional ships allowing us and third party FRED-ers to do more and more with each release. A huge chunk of R1 dev time went into the creation of ships, weapons, cockpits, effects, basically lots and lots of stuff FRED-ers need to wait on before they can get into serious FRED-ing. Since with each next release we don't have to build the whole fleet from the ground up, rather add several ships to the existing one, and the art department doesn't need to worry about the interface, effects, etc, we're really hoping things will pick up from here on out. I won't comment on the endings thing because E pretty much covered it.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline KaraBulut

Yeah I saw the alternate ending as well, a little sad though, leaving your pilot buddies to escape with the cargo ship :(

Offline newman

Yeah I saw the alternate ending as well, a little sad though, leaving your pilot buddies to escape with the cargo ship :(

Personally I find it sadder to run out of air in the middle of nowhere :) At least you get to fight another day. There's no saving your buddies, anyway, and in those 30 seconds you have you're not exactly going to do any big difference; you have a (probably) damaged viper that's about to run out of ammo (and fuel). I fail to see the gain in staying, so I tend to go for the Prommie ending. But that's just how I see it personally.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Re: Soo the ending ? (warning: ending spoilers!)
Is it possible to save the other ship and escape, or is that wave of torpedoes supposed to be unstoppable? Too lazy to open up the mission in FRED =p

Personally I find it sadder to run out of air in the middle of nowhere :) At least you get to fight another day. There's no saving your buddies, anyway, and in those 30 seconds you have you're not exactly going to do any big difference; you have a (probably) damaged viper that's about to run out of ammo (and fuel). I fail to see the gain in staying, so I tend to go for the Prommie ending. But that's just how I see it personally.

Oh I don't know about that. I had enough ammo left over to take on another dozen raiders at least. =) Just a matter of staying out of the Theseus' firing solution, I got fragged by those big guns a bunch of times chasing raiders. =D

Welp. Time for me to check out the alternate ending.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
The Prometheus ending implies
Spoiler:
you made it to Galactica
, so is there a chance to eventually get a second episode on that ship? or is this "story" closed permanently?

PS: The credits song is awesome! :cool:

Offline Aether

Are there two or three alternate endings?

I always imagined that if I could protect the Indart properly during the refuelling mission then the Theseus wouldn't have its FTL disabled in the final mission, therefore being able to jump to Ragnar. So maybe the three endings are: Fly into the void, depart with the Prometheus, depart with the Theseus?

In response to An4ximandros: I imagine we'll only find out about that story arc when R2 comes out. ;)
So say we all!

Offline newman

R2 will not continue the Theseus's story, you saw the end of it in Shattered Armistice. There are two endings - if you've seen them both, you haven't missed anything story-related.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You're not supposed to be able to save the indart. We'll have to add more Cylons to that mission. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Aether

Oh don't worry, no more Cylons needed for THAT mission :lol: Wish I new that before my last 3 restart missions :P

I assume the R2 plot won't be revealed for a while?
So say we all!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Is it possible to save the other ship and escape, or is that wave of torpedoes supposed to be unstoppable? Too lazy to open up the mission in FRED =p

If you're talking about the last mission where you choose to stay behind... there is at least one ship you can save. So if you do stay, you don't exactly die in vain (you and the other pilots sacrifice yourselves trying to let the civvies escape).

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Actually the Indart isn't a total forced failure, if you take out all of the waves they abandon and scuttle the ship since the Indart lacks a FTL drive.

You can save the Warwick and other civilians, it's *very* hard but they can also make it to Ragnar.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline KaraBulut

Actually the Indart isn't a total forced failure, if you take out all of the waves they abandon and scuttle the ship since the Indart lacks a FTL drive.

You can save the Warwick and other civilians, it's *very* hard but they can also make it to Ragnar.

Even on easy and even with every wing on "Protect Indart" option it goes down pretty darn fast.

Just like that part in the Btrl demo where you could save the Captain and that other dude but it's freaking impossble due to missle spam.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Just like that part in the Btrl demo where you could save the Captain and that other dude but it's freaking impossble due to missle spam.

I'm glad to hear someone tried that. :D I spent ages on that alternate route through the mission. :)

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
So I'm gathering then that you have the option to either stay and protect or dock with the civvies and FTL out.
Ether way the battlestar dies right?

So far I've done this about 4 times (now that I can get past the 3rd star with the collision issue) and the frigate does it's ram,
the BtlStr starts launching nukes, then it ends up dying.

So is this how it's supposed to work and I'm just restarting thinking I have more to do, or is there more to this?
The mission flow is a bit confusing at the last stand.

Not actually sure if I'm supposed to be anti bomb, anti fighter, or what... Torps don't seem to get through (except to the frigate)
so I assume you're supposed to be anti fighter.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The Theseus dies at the end. There's not meant to be anything you can do to save it. What you can decide is whether you jump out with the Prometheus or not. (I would say whether you survive or not, but we wanted to leave the player with the faint hope that maybe they survived the alternate ending).

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
The Theseus dies at the end. There's not meant to be anything you can do to save it. What you can decide is whether you jump out with the Prometheus or not. (I would say whether you survive or not, but we wanted to leave the player with the faint hope that maybe they survived the alternate ending).

The cylons suddenly realize that their basestars and raiders are needed elsewhere?  5 hours later, an SAR craft arrives.   ...Or, the player was a Cylon the whole time and thus doesn't get blasted...

Offline QuakeIV

• test
"Welcome home pilot"

That would have been amusing.