Author Topic: Viper doesn't collide with anything  (Read 2003 times)

Offline MikeRoz

Viper doesn't collide with anything
Hey guys. First I want to say, excellent work. A velocity vector and LCOS gunsight in FreeSpace? You guys have truly outdone yourselves this time.

Experiencing a problem with collisions though. I'm on the second mission after the training missions (The Strike). I booted up a fresh instance of Diaspora, and as I'd experienced this bug earlier, the first thing I did was turn around and ram my viper into the Theseus. I bounced off and lost 5% hull for my trouble - must have been some coincidence last time. Or so I thought, because a few minutes into the mission I decided to restart (via esc->restart), and that time my attempts to scratch the paint on the Theseus failed. Flew right through it like I was using a phasing cloak.

It can't just be esc->restart that's causing this either, because last night this was happening and I only restarted when I died (Quick Start Mission).

Can anyone shed some light on this? Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere; I did search for 'collisions' before I posted this.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Viper doesn't collide with anything
What happens if you tick Launcher->Advanced Settings->Troubleshooting->Use old Collision Detection System?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MikeRoz

I don't think so, but I'm not entirely sure. Trying to reproduce it with launch->collide->restart doesn't seem to reproduce it 100% of the time. Seems you have to launch, collide, attack the Base Star some (I blow up one or two heavy missile launchers), then die from incompetence (like me) or restart (since you won't die). Then, with the Diaspora default collision model I will not collide, but with the old model toggled I will.
Rave reviews of my previous posts:
"Wow.  Just wow.  Well, just about the whole post is devoid of reasonable technical merit and accuracy." -Enki
"Wow, he just wasted about an hour of his life." -MachManX
"There are 5 million things wrong with your post, of which many have already been pointed out..." -blackhole
"Grrr. Someone please monkey mike...He's causing more problems than he's solving" -terran_emperor
"You're not very bright, are you." - General Battuta

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Thanks so much for these repro steps. It helped me reliably test a fix I made last night for the patch. Now I know it resolves this issue.

Thanks! I just came here to mention that I was having the same problem, glad to see it's addressed already :)

I had this problem but it was immediately fixed by enabling old detection.
What's the difference between them?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The new one should be much faster. But it's very new and therefore still has some bugs so we left the old one in until we're certain it's bug free.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]