Author Topic: Co-op free-flight mission with ambience  (Read 8975 times)

Co-op free-flight mission with ambience
I'm currently baiting the madam into trying this game out, so I made an endless mission with no enemies where you can roam about and get comfy with the controls.
Figured other people might be interested in downloading and modifying it, so here it is :)

It's not very complex - I added all the friendly and neutral cap / freighter ships I could find, and set some viper and raptor squadrons to move around on patrols to make the mission feel more alive. I might update the mission file as I explore new aspects of the editor.

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Re: Co-op free-flight mission with ambience
Neat. I've been wanting to put together a similar mission where I can practice my combat landings over and over again. Right now my technique is more like a ping pong ball.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Forum admins - can you please create a child board for posting missions? I'd love to be able to keep better track of these posts.

Offline arrtee

Thank you Sporadisk for the mission.. guys, the mission is supposed to be placed within the Diaspora>Data>Missions game folder, yes?

it's not showing up in the Tech Data>Mission Simulator>Single

.. pls help?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 08:08:51 pm by arrtee »

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Neat. I've been wanting to put together a similar mission where I can practice my combat landings over and over again. Right now my technique is more like a ping pong ball.

How are you landing, if you don't mind my asking? If you come straight in it'll lock you about halfway through the flight pod; it's not like the combat landings in the show.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Aether

How are you landing, if you don't mind my asking? If you come straight in it'll lock you about halfway through the flight pod; it's not like the combat landings in the show.

Landing is actually affected by difficulty level. The harder the difficulty, the harder it is to land. So if you want the crash down landings seen on the show you can just increase the difficulty level ;)
So say we all!

it's not showing up in the Tech Data>Mission Simulator>Single
I saved the mission as multiplayer cooperative, as a result it won't be playable in singleplayer. I'll post a sp version when I get home :)

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Nothing prevents you to play a coop mission alone, just go multiplayer and host a game for yourself.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic

To clarify:

You can ALWAYS land by touching down (be on the deck and at low speed). On Easy and Normal, you can ALSO land by just flying halfway through the pod.

Offline arrtee

Spora and Matt, thanks very much for the replies.. I'll try that out! Hope to see an SP version..:D

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo

Landing is actually affected by difficulty level. The harder the difficulty, the harder it is to land. So if you want the crash down landings seen on the show you can just increase the difficulty level ;)

Uhhh... looks like I got called out on being a loser and playing on Normal :P
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Here's a single-player version, which is pretty much identical to the multiplayer version.
I have yet to get a feel for the background editor, so it's just a plain field of stars at the moment.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I have yet to get a feel for the background editor, so it's just a plain field of stars at the moment.

It's mostly a case of going to the FRED help -> Diaspora Resource List -> Typing the names of the skybox you want into the FRED -> Background Editor -> Skybox.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline arrtee

Thanks again Sporadisk..:D

Hey, thanks for the download Sporadisk i have made a few changes to the mission that i thought i would share.

What i have Added/changed;
Set Max Respawns to 99 Meaning the player can respawn incase of death (no need to restart MP game)
Changed the Alpha 3 Viper VII to a Viper VIIe
Added Heavy Raptor and Viper VIIe to ship selection list
Added a very basic Background

my grasp on FRED inst great yet (This is my first time using it) and your mission provided a perfect testing ground so thank you very much!

[ I have attached my modified version encase you or anyone else would like it :D, also note this is the MP version of the mission]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Nice work Rogue. I really do recommend doing the walkthrough if you want to get a better grasp on FRED. And that's not just cause I wrote it. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dukayn

Agreed, the tutorial is excellent.  I ran through it and even though I haven't gotten a complete grasp on things it really helps get you familiar with how FRED works, especially the SEXP stuff which I find is the hardest to come to terms with.

How do you save a mission as a coop mission?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
How do you save a mission as a coop mission?

Go to Mission Specs (shift-n)

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
unless the Diaspora team changed it you want
Editors -> Mission specs

then in the upper left just below the mission title and creator are options to set the mission as single, multi or training.  when you set to multi the options for co-op, TvT and dogfight unlock
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art