Author Topic: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers  (Read 73523 times)

Offline newman

Re: Robert Space Industries. From the Wing commander + sequels makers
Not sure why they only set the goal at kickstarter at $500k - at the rate that figure is climbing it may very well end up being more profitable than the crowdfunding thing they got set up on their site.

edit: now I see why, if kickstarter goal isn't met they don't get the money. Makes sense now :)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 11:16:10 am by newman »
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Kind of a interesting difference
Kickstarter: 4,019 backers $166,665
Offical site: 12,201 backers $1,085,483
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Luis Dias

And yet, they will probably be having more money channeled through kickstarter.

Offline newman

Kickstarter was a good move. Already over a quarter of a million after the first day. But it also got over 6000 pledgers, which is like half of what their native crowdfunding effort managed in over a week. It probably has a lot to do with the fact you can pledge as much as you want on kickstarter, even if it's just 1$, so more people are willing to pledge at least something. Plus people probably feel more comfortable with an established service like that.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Deathsnake

• Again there
    • German Wing Commander Site
Very close to 1,7 Million. With shortly 3 Weeks on RSI or 4 Weeks on Kickstarter left ;)
Star Citizen No. 250

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Yeah this is going the right way!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Stupid question, but I might also ask it here since quite some interest is in existence !   

I would also like to pledge this game, but I'm getting a bit cautious about a few things these day.

On the "Pledge site", there is a button "Refund if project goal is not met". And when I translate it correct, and check it, I no longer can choose Paypal as payment option, which is bad, because I do not own a credit card (which also prevents me supporting products on kickstarter) and I do not really intend to get myself on.

So, how do I have to understand this sentence ? For me, it's translating like this : " When we do not reach our 2 million goal, you get your money back".

So, does that mean when I choose paypal and not click the box (because I can't for paypal), I'm paying, AND IF THEY DO NOT REACH THEIR GOAL, then what ? They keep the earned money, say thanks to all, do not produce anything and find some good use for the money instead (B&B ? Booze and Boobs ? ).

Don't get me wrong, I have high fate in Chris Roberts. But I'm not sure what will happen to my 60$ when I cannot click the box for paypal :(

Can someone here give me an inside ?
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
At this point, it's likely it'd get used to fund the project anyway, with a more limited scope. Also, nothing stops you from mailing to Chris Roberts about it. I've replied to one of his e-mails and got a response from Ben Lesnick, there are real people sending those messages and responding to them.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
there are real people

It's exactly these people I'm a bit worried about, the mentioned one in particular
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

On the "Pledge site", there is a button "Refund if project goal is not met". And when I translate it correct, and check it, I no longer can choose Paypal as payment option, which is bad, because I do not own a credit card (which also prevents me supporting products on kickstarter) and I do not really intend to get myself on.

You translate that correct, that's exactly what it means.

As for the Paypal thing: Amazon Payments can put a hold on the funds on your credit card without actually charging it until the thing succeeds (or order is shipped). I guess that Paypal can't, so when you pledge with Paypal the money comes out right away and to give it back they'd need to do a refund, which I guess is kind of hard or expensive?

But it'll probably succeed anyway, so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
I guess that Paypal can't, so when you pledge with Paypal the money comes out right away

Possible. However, that's exactly what the first Nexus2 Crowdfunding did. I donated, but the money should only be taken when the goal is met. It worked then... Maybe Paypal doesn't offer that feature anymore.

I have to think about it. Guess I will still donate, though with a bit of a bad taste in the mouth...
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

Offline Topgun

Stupid question, but I might also ask it here since quite some interest is in existence !   

I would also like to pledge this game, but I'm getting a bit cautious about a few things these day.

So, how do I have to understand this sentence ? For me, it's translating like this : " When we do not reach our 2 million goal, you get your money back".

So, does that mean when I choose paypal and not click the box (because I can't for paypal), I'm paying, AND IF THEY DO NOT REACH THEIR GOAL, then what ? They keep the earned money, say thanks to all, do not produce anything and find some good use for the money instead (B&B ? Booze and Boobs ? ).

Don't get me wrong, I have high fate in Chris Roberts. But I'm not sure what will happen to my 60$ when I cannot click the box for paypal :(

Can someone here give me an inside ?

if the goal isn't meant the game will still get made, but at a reduced level

Offline newman

if the goal isn't meant the game will still get made, but at a reduced level

Not exactly, there are several goals. The minimum one is $2 million - if they don't reach that I don't think the game is getting made at all. Every goal above that adds to the amount of things they're promising to do. However, at the current rate there's little chance they won't meet the minimum goal so it's all a bit academic :)

Offline Luis Dias

At this rate, they will reach 10 million.

Not that a proper game of this scale doesn't cost 5 times that.

Offline Vip

I'm still baffled on how they can create such an amazing game (the graphics, exploring the ship, etc) with merely 2 million bucks... Nevertheless, I did my job and pledged $30 on Kickstarter - what kind of space-sim fan would I have to be to miss a chance of reviving my beloved genre? :P
Lieutenant Commander Richard "Viper" Pred

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
It was explained that they have a large sum of money in stock, and that the fundraising is meant to bolster the amount they raised privately.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
I did my part... 1 constellation and mini fighter coming up with electro plating.

"Admiral Zinv" doesn't sound too bad after all.
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline newman

..and they're now officially over the $2 million mark (their own crowdfunding + kickstarter).

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Wonderful!

I expect Confed to conquer all known aggressors now.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Woah, massive amount of pessimism here. Can't believe how many, "lol good graphics =/ good game" and "Wing Commander sux" comments I'm seeing. Seems a tad pedantic.

At the least, another Chris Roberts game is going to be a fun experience on par with his previous ones. At least he's setting his goals high. It may not be the ULTIMATE space game, but it is a professional, big budget NEW space sim in what is essentially a dead genre. I would have thought people would be more excited at that prospect.

Look at the success of X-COM UFO, a successful Star Citizen could mean developers taking another look at the sim genre.

I'm not expecting folks to leap up and down like an idiot, but a little more optimism at this point may be appropriate.