Author Topic: Fleet Defense Mission (alpha vs. 0.00001) My first attempt in a night  (Read 3296 times)

Offline Cerebus

Fleet Defense Mission (alpha vs. 0.00001) My first attempt in a night
This mission is known to crash, it was playing stable on my system but since going back even I'm unable to get it to play.  I may go back and debug and update because it was fun, but check out

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=82224.new#new

this one instead, my day 2 of freding release, much improved

I wasn't going to put this up here (not a finished map, but playable sandbox fun) but I figured I'd post what I'd manage to make in an evening. I started with the FRED tutorial when I got home and just kind of went to town, so I've built a busy mission.  It was my first time in the sandbox so I went nuts, and I think I might start a new map with a little less going on as I'm on an older computer.  That being said the people that haven't had time to fred are probably dying for content so you can try this out if you like.

sitrep:  2 battlestars are protecting a civilian science team as they evac a research center in the promar sector.  Your objective is to cover the science teams retreat, their discovery could be vital to the war effort.  3 Baystars jump in and the 2 battlestars form a perimeter to protect the civilian fleet.  Your objective is to cover the civilian fleet from cylon raider attacks while they jump away.  If you wish, you can assign another wing to cover the civilians (have them cover the promethius) and you may participate in a nuclear attack on the bayships with the other wings from the battlestars.  Both sides of this engagement  are throwing attack forces at each other, and you can arm nukes in weapons selection.  By default you have a couple wingmen to help you cover the civilians and all the other ships are engaged in a large scale battle.  The sides are pretty well balanced in adv. mode, and you can determine how things play out with your actions, particularly if you decide to control the other wings as well as your own.  Assigning red squadron to protect the civilians should free you up to participate in the main battle.

I dont have scripted objectives or events, this is a sandbox game still, it will end when all civilians manage to jump away, and that is victory, by timed event.  Other than that, you're the captain now :D , free for all

some known issues: I need to shut off the battlestars ventral cannons, they shoot into the civilian fleet sometimes
                                  There are a lot of players on this map, if you're not running a newer pc, you may or may not chug through some parts

drop this in your missions folder (data / missions) and they come up under tech data, simulated missions, single
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:52:18 am by Cerebus »

Offline arrtee

Re: Fleet Defense Mission (alpha vs. 0.00001) My first attempt in a night
many thanks, I'll give it a shot..:D

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
ok im trying it now will give impressions soon

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
ok it crashed my game lol
i have a gtx 560 ti so im not to sure why it crashed on me

could use some music and maybe one of the backgrounds included in the game

also pegases was taking a beating it was down to like 62 hp and none of the B*'s were taken out yet haha

Offline Apoc

Cool idea, but crashed here as well. I've got a HD6850 isn't that enough?  :P

Loved to use the nukes tho. ^^

Offline Dukayn

Yeah this crashed here too.  Really early as well, was lining up another nuke run.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Why are there so many crash reports without a single debug log ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
Why are there so many crash reports without a single debug log ?
i cant play with the debug build i get like 4 fps. lol

Offline Dukayn

I figured the debug log is to fix issues with the game.  If a single mission is causing crashes then it's a problem with the mission design, not the game engine.  If it was the game engine, it'd be happening on other missions as well.

If that's not the case I'll run it again later today and provide a debug log.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
lol... the debug log is to fix issue with the game, however, mission files involve more than just themselves, they have to load assets.

Make a debug log and take a look, it contains lots of useful information.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's quite possible he's tried something the Diaspora team didn't try and therefore is getting bugs. If anything you do with FRED generates bugs, it's an engine bug. FRED generally shouldn't allow you to do anything which crashes FS2. Especially with no error message.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline JCQ

• life is hard
    • FREESPACE GAMPLAY VIDS
its till crashing my game not sure whats up with that

Offline Cerebus

I haven't gone back and done anything to this one, I started another map and left this broken, which I shall fix, probably tonight.  I'll be more discriminating in releasing something in the future, I was just excited about the ease that I could quickly throw something together in fred and just wanted to flesh out some of the possibilities of epic battles that could be had with this beautiful game that has been built for us, and kind of show what a complete newbie to this could do in a few hours.  I learned a lesson here to about saving as different map versions as I go because it played just fine 2 saves back for certain, and the changes since then are minor but messed this all up. 

lemme get this fixed up.

Offline Dukayn

If you find something messed up, there is a .bak file you can rename to .fs2 and replace the one that had issues.  I did this a few times with my mission.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Which download gives the crashy mission? I'd like to run it in order to see if it helps me find another bug to fix. :P

Offline Cerebus

this one, I fixed a few things but it's still crashy

[attachment removed and sold on the black market]

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Just curious, have you tried running this test build yet with that mission?

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=81877.msg1640900#msg1640900