Author Topic: WoD Translations, Voice Acting and Mission Design  (Read 6351 times)

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
WoD Translations, Voice Acting and Mission Design
Well, i was playing WoD for the second time and i  got curious, there will be ever a voice acting on WoD? it surely would be nice.

Another question i has is: It is permitted to do translations on the campaign texts? they re not too much and could be easily done in 2 or 3 days i think

Other question: Do i can make fan missions on the universe of WoD? using the models,pics or weapons? maybe even new?

Well, thanks for doing such an awesome camapaign (and by making the flagship destruction mission almost impossible for mere mortals like me.)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Re: WoD Translations, Voice Acting and Mission Design
No, there is no plan on voice acting. (Reasons have been stated before, look it up.) 90% of campaigns don't get voice acting anyway, I honestly don't get why people get so hung up over it.

What language are you planning on translating it to? O_o I'm fairly certain Spoon wouldn't have a problem with it.

Of course you can make fan missions. Who's going to stop you? :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
No, there is no plan on voice acting. (Reasons have been stated before, look it up.) 90% of campaigns don't get voice acting anyway, I honestly don't get why people get so hung up over it.

Voice Acting is improtant to give atmosphere and density to the story and mainly because this is a anime-themed campaign. xD

What language are you planning on translating it to? O_o I'm fairly certain Spoon wouldn't have a problem with it.

Portuguese, my native language and the only one i master (somewhat). And i haveconfidence in my skills of translator when it comes to english.

Of course you can make fan missions. Who's going to stop you?

I just don´t know how to import all the names, models and pictures from WoD.

Thansk for responding.

Offline -Norbert-

If you make missions for WoD itself, there is nothing you need to import. Just open up the vp with VP-management tools like VPView, VPMage or MajaExpress and look up the names of the files you want to use.

If you intent to include WoD assets into your own mod, that's a bit more complicated and covered in tutorials over in the FreeSpace Modding forum (and you should ask Spoon for permission before doing so obviously).

As for the voice acting, I have to partially agree and disagree with you. If it's done well, it helps the atmosphere, but if it's done bad, it can ruin a campaign, film or series (just try watching Gundam 00's german version.... that thing is so bad it can give you nightmares. Hard to beliefe anyone got paid money for that abomination! You don't even need to understand german to notice how awfull that VA is.).

That WoD is anime style makes it even harder to voice act, because for me anime screams for japanese voice acting (with subtitles for now, since my japanese isn't yet good enough to watch without them). Add to this that the majority of the main cast are female (with the vast majority of players being male, getting female voice actors is very hard) and you've got yourself an almost, if not completely impossible task.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
It is actually like 40 times easier to get good female VAs than male, I don't know why.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Voice acting is a task that is simply beyond me. Because its not as simple as just contacting someone and telling him/her "Can you please do these lines? kthx." There's an amount of casting and directing involved that I have no experience with. And as Norbert pointed out, bad acting can *break* a game.
I tend to be pretty critical about voice acting and I usually find it pretty hard to like english female voice actors for animeish roles. For me, these are all pretty good reasons to not have plans for a voice acted WoD.

For your second question, naturally you have my blessing to make an attempt at translating WoD.

And of course you are welcome to make missions based on WoD! If you are using .14 R8 its as simple as selecting WoD in the launcher and then starting FRED. FRED should now start with WoD loaded. If you want to use WoD assets with other campaigns/mods it gets a bit more complicated though, but there should be some tutorials and the like available on that subject on the wiki.

Sorry for the last mission!
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
Voice acting is a task that is simply beyond me. Because its not as simple as just contacting someone and telling him/her "Can you please do these lines? kthx." There's an amount of casting and directing involved that I have no experience with. And as Norbert pointed out, bad acting can *break* a game.
I tend to be pretty critical about voice acting and I usually find it pretty hard to like english female voice actors for animeish roles. For me, these are all pretty good reasons to not have plans for a voice acted WoD.

For your second question, naturally you have my blessing to make an attempt at translating WoD.

And of course you are welcome to make missions based on WoD! If you are using .14 R8 its as simple as selecting WoD in the launcher and then starting FRED. FRED should now start with WoD loaded. If you want to use WoD assets with other campaigns/mods it gets a bit more complicated though, but there should be some tutorials and the like available on that subject on the wiki.

VA - Well, thats very sad. But i man can dream...can´t i? xD

Translation - I will do it as soon as possible.

Missions - Well, i did it! \o/
I was using the FRED 2 not the RC8. xD
thanks for the tips.
I will try to make something nice. \o/

Offline Lorric

And so you should be. It must have taken me about 30 attempts to beat that final mission.  :hopping: 

Crystal took that mission because she is Cyrvan. I am not Cyrvan! I have my limts as a mere human! :D

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
The translation process is progressing.
Its more difficult than i tough it would be, but nothing too awfully hard...
=)

And so you should be. It must have taken me about 30 attempts to beat that final mission.  :hopping: 

Crystal took that mission because she is Cyrvan. I am not Cyrvan! I have my limts as a mere human! :D

I know your pain bro...i know your pain...

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
I was doing the translations when i finaly came to this realization.

United Eath Union isn´t a redundancy?
a  joke maybe?
xD

Offline Lorric

The translation process is progressing.
Its more difficult than i tough it would be, but nothing too awfully hard...
=)

I know your pain bro...i know your pain...

Sadistic level designed for Cyrvans not humans!  :hopping:  :mad:  :mad2:  :banghead:  :lol:

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
* AndrewofDoom had no problem completing the last mission.  :nervous:
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
* AndrewofDoom had no problem completing the last mission.  :nervous:

The Cryvan invasion already began!
Run to the hills! \o/

kidding...
good for you. D:

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Not all of us are noobs, you know.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
Not all of us are noobs, you know.

Not all of us are pros, you know.
its specially diffcult to a noob like me, of course it is, but only the pros would do that with such...ease...
D:

Offline -Norbert-

Come to think of it.... would it be possible to adapt the countdown to the difficulty level? For example on very easy you get an extra 30 seconds time compared to insane.

Because the only real problem I had with the mission the first few tries was the time.
Finding the way in wasn't much of a problem, once I got used to the handling of the Aestival (and towned down the joystick sensitivity), but finding the exit from the chamber was always a bit problematic and in some cases too time consuming to survive the explosion.

Offline Madrox

• My DeviantArt
I aways die in 3 situations.
1, im destroying the third reactor and the timer zero.
2. I destroy the third reactor and die on the way back.
3.The damn aestival got stuck on the tunnels and because of the flagship movements i can´t leave and die (i restart most times now).

I never passed this mission. never...

Offline Legate Damar

• Keeping up with the Cardassians
  • Hail Cardassia!
The mission is easy once you understand the internal layout of the flagship.

But maybe Cardassians are simply better at it than humans too...

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Nope, it's perfectly doable for a human, in fact it's rather easy if you time it right and master the Aestival. It might be beneficial to switch to mouse on this one, because it's so agile, but even CH Fighterstick (which has a rather hefty spring, strong center detents and a somewhat clunky gimbal) worked for me, on Insane. You have to use side thrusters and don't lose your head while inside, and it'll be allright. In fact, the biggest problem is making it out in time, as you're stressed. If you keep a cool head, this mission isn't hard. Contrary to tech description, all a human needs to master the Aestival is a well calibrated stick and some touch.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq