Author Topic: ANNOUNCEMENT: Eos: The Coward's Blade  (Read 14510 times)

Offline Madrox

• Because destroying shivans ins´t enough...
    • My DeviantArt
Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: Eos: The Coward's Blade
Why use Greek? why not something else, like Old English/Frisian, Finnish, Lithuanian, Slavic, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Turkish, Scythian, Etruscan, Phoenician, Georgian, Armenian, etc.

You get the point.
Volition would have come to this wall eventually as well, so...  :o
In FS canon ship classes generally follow the following themes

Terran = Greek
Vasudan = Egyptian
Shivan = Evil Mythology

So to feel consistent model makers tend to follow these themes.

Actually, Shivas = Hindu Mythology
D:

while yes there are Hindu references also consider that many come from other beliefs for example the Lucifer, Manticore, Nephilim, Seraphim, Dis, Azrael, Cain, Lilith, Moloch, and possibly Sathanas (Satan?) is named for near and middle eastern and Dragon, Basilisk, are European

All hail to Sathanas!
Actually, in portugues, Satan is reffered as Satã or Satanás. lol

Well, i ahd a good friend of mine who was a non-mystic satanist. to them, Satan isn´t actually a "evil" thing. xD

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I've been busy with other things for the past few weeks, so development is going pretty slow. (I'm still on the first mission, though I'm almost done.) However, I do have a good enough idea of future missions to post some screenshots (though they might not be entirely accurate)  and some pre-campaign quotes and ship descriptions. So, I'll be doing that for then next few months.

This is the GTVA's most powerful warship, the GTD Archon. It's a flagship-not just of a fleet, but of the entire Terran navy. Its four BFBlues outrange and slightly outdamage the Sathanas's BFReds shot-for-shot, but they have a far longer recharge time (in a fair fight, the Sathanas will always win). As the tech description says, it can destroy a capital ship with a single salvo of its primary cannons.

The Archon probably won't appear much in the campaign, since it would insta-kill anything smaller than another superdestroyer.

Tech Description:
The Archon superdestroyer is flagship of the Terran Armada. This incredible warship is armed with sixty-six powerful weapon systems, including four super-heavy beam cannons that can obliterate capital ships in a single salvo. No Alliance warship is more powerful. At present, the Archon may seem unnecessary, but if the Shivans ever return it will be our best hope for survival.

Type: Superdestroyer
Manufacturer: Kraken Systematics
Max Velocity: 20 m/s
Armor: 800000
Fighterbay Capacity: 360 Strikecraft

GTVA Turbolaser X 9
GTVA Turret X 15
GTVA Huge Turret X 13
Standard Flak X 8
Anti-Fighter Beam X 8
Piranha X 2
Icebrand X 4
Winter King* X 4
Megacyclone X 3

*Yes, Blueplanet already used that name for a beam. I'll change it if the BP team asks me to.
Current Project - Eos: The Coward's Blade. Coming Soon (hopefully.)

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
You know there is a HTL Hades right.
Your efforts would probably be better served working with that than with the low poly ugly tilerape model.

Just sayin'

Then again, retexturing a UVmapped ship actually takes a modicum of actual skill and effort. I can see why all the Lazyman McEverynoobs hate on them.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Way to be nice to the inexperienced.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Note, HTL Hades is UVmapped. Which makes reskinning it much more difficult than the original model. It was my major gripe with UVmapping until I learned how to work with textures, and even then, there are cases where tiling is more flexible and faster to work with.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
You know there is a HTL Hades right.
Your efforts would probably be better served working with that than with the low poly ugly tilerape model.

Just sayin'

Then again, retexturing a UVmapped ship actually takes a modicum of actual skill and effort. I can see why all the Lazyman McEverynoobs hate on them.

You know that the Hades only has 22 turrets, right? That's why I'm using the Saturn, which is immediately obvious if you actually examine the model and read the description (Hades does not have "sixty-sixty different weapon systems"). As much as I would prefer an HTL model, nothing else has the turret placement I need.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You know duplicating and moving turrets is a 30 sec job tops in PCS2, right ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Interesting. I will try that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
*Yes, Blueplanet already used that name for a beam. I'll change it if the BP team asks me to.

Hardly a problem, we're flattered.

Offline yuezhi

• no u
  • ¿¡you dare defy the commodore‽
Why use Greek? why not something else, like Old English/Frisian, Finnish, Lithuanian, Slavic, Indian, Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Mongolian, Turkish, Scythian, Etruscan, Phoenician, Georgian, Armenian, etc.

You get the point.
Volition would have come to this wall eventually as well, so...  :o
In FS canon ship classes generally follow the following themes

Terran = Greek
Vasudan = Egyptian
Shivan = Evil Mythology

So to feel consistent model makers tend to follow these themes.
i wouldn't say Seraphim is evil, just a description of a craft capable of delivering power of biblical proportions. :D
ϟIn Neo-Terra we Trustϟ
ϟGreat Tin Can Run (Download
☭Gods and Conquerors  - mission design, tech descriptions, sounds; currently 5% Book of Invasions(reserved)☭

░░░░░░███████ ]▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄        ︻╦╤─   Bob is building an army.
    ▂▄▅█████████▅▄▃▂          ☻/         This tank & Bob are against Google+
Il███████████████████].       /▌          Copy and Paste this all over
  ◥⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙▲⊙◤...     / \          Youtube if you are with us!

Offline Droid803

Way to be nice to the inexperienced.

Well if they all just stick to texture replacing in PCS2 and thinking they're hot **** then they'll never get experience.

And there is an upturreted version of the HTL Hades.
Ask Hades.
(´・ω・`)

Letting them know that their work could improve and shaming them for being inexperienced are different things.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Droid803

I did let Apollo know his work could be improved.

Let's not derail this further.
(´・ω・`)

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Ok, I'll reskin the Hades and give it more turrets (or get the upturreted one from Hades). I'm altering its UV map by copying tiles into it. It's actually surprisingly easy, though time-consuming.

EDIT: Hades doesn't have one. I guess I'll have to do it myself (that might actually be better, since it lets me keep the same armament).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2012, 05:07:53 pm by Apollo »

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Remember the GTC Orff, that Fenris from FS1? Well, as the first warship I ever saw in-game it holds a lot of sentimental value for me, and the Orff's general crapiness has always bothered me. I felt that it received a very anticlimatic end in FS1, when the Hades and its fighters destroyed it without so much as a death message (IIRC). Fortunately, the Orff's destruction was not canonical, so I can use it in Eos.

I've given the Orff a reskin, a ridiculous amount of firepower and armor for a cruiser, and a whole bunch of abilites such as reverse thrusters and afterburners. The storyline justification is that the Orff was modified with technology from a captured Lilith cruiser, but that's basically just an excuse for me to make an overpowered cruiser. But, it's overpowered for a good reason (I think). The Orff will be playable in several missions, which will use a modified version of TBI's capship control script. Piloting it will be similar to flying the Katana, but with one major difference: every single turret will be controllable, and focusing point-defenses on individual fighters and bombers will be an important strategy in these missions.

Pics:

I know the blue ring looks out of place (I'm considering getting rid of it).

« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 02:10:58 am by Apollo »

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
I think I won't play this until the new Fenris is finished.
So... never, cause finishing models was overrated right? :nervous:
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
That beam... Would be nice, but it's strange. I see ugly artefacts here, like on jpg image.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
I think I won't play this until the new Fenris is finished.
So... never, cause finishing models was overrated right? :nervous:

New Fenris?

That beam... Would be nice, but it's strange. I see ugly artefacts here, like on jpg image.

I took that screenshot on my piece of crap computer, so it wasn't rendered properly. It looks much nicer on something with a decent video card.

Offline Droid803

Not the biggest fan of the Red/Green/Blue colorscheme with the glows going on, makes it hard to take seriously.
Then again I'm not sure if I should be taking UBER FENRIS seriously to begin with. :P The whole premise of it sounds like something straight of a parody segment.

Kind of like the crew of a Fenris boarding and taking over a SJ Sathanas. xD
(´・ω・`)

Offline Apollo

• Free Market Fascist
Not the biggest fan of the Red/Green/Blue colorscheme with the glows going on, makes it hard to take seriously.
Then again I'm not sure if I should be taking UBER FENRIS seriously to begin with. :P The whole premise of it sounds like something straight of a parody segment.

Kind of like the crew of a Fenris boarding and taking over a SJ Sathanas. xD

You probably shouldn't take it seriously, since it's a thin excuse to make an overpowered cruiser. And it looks like a christmas decoration. :P