Author Topic: Announcement of closure (Goodbye!)(Public)  (Read 12952 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Announcement of closure (Goodbye!)(Public)
Not all campaigns should be the same thing and by no means do they need to be like BP to be excellent.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
go f*** yourself, BP has set the standard too damn high.

now we'll all suffer for it.

:P
el hombre vicio...

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Meh. People keep aspiring to be the next BP and I suspect that has a part in the demotivation that is killing campaigns. Stop trying to be BP and just be your own campaign with it's own good and bad qualities. (Hint: BP, however good, is not perfect.)
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Stop trying to be BP and just be your own campaign with it's own good and bad qualities. (Hint: BP, however good, is not perfect.)
Quoted for truth.
I decided some time ago not to be bothered if something I'm FREDing is lacking in originality, or even reusing tricks from other mods, as long as I'm having fun. I can't help but be heavily influenced by whatever happens around me, or whatever I play or watch. It used to be somewhat painful when I realised that some of the stuff I was doing was strikingly similar to something that was just released by more experienced community members.
Now instead of going "frak, now I have to either change it or do something better", I tend to go "awesome, that's almost exactly what I need. If I reuse part of that, I'll have more time to focus on something else/I'll be able to improve upon my own system", which in the end I found to be a bit more productive.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Yeah that's exactly what I was saying  :(

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
My cents, the planning and development of the story line was rather solid. It is of course, no BP (what else is? :p). But was still a good read to go through.. I did enjoy that :)

Of course it was no BP. It's not just that I am obviously not on the level of the likes of Battuta (and man oh man would I like to add a 'yet' to this) but also the fact that I never wanted it to be BP; I wanted to make this an FS1-style, mostly 'a nameless cog in the great machine'-type thing. Hell, Shrouding the Light, tops. It got pretty damn outdated - mainly because the whole concept has been outshone by the likes of BP - for one, and hey, the fact that I was a complete FRED and modding illiterate at the start didn't help things. Hell, you could argue that I didn't make a big progress in this regard anyway. It was a mammoth undertaking and I enjoyed every second of it, no matter how it ended.

I might need to clarify myself: I was trying to say that I never wanted to make Syrk BP-like. :P It's just that its story-related advancement and the changes it sprung made a basic design look positively obsolete. Which, of course, would not have been an issue in and of itself, we're talking about something that didn't make release, I'm just saying that there's now a higher expectation in terms of storytelling. Not a BP-esque story or storytelling method. I'm also not trying to say that it is a bad thing. :)
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012

Offline Lucika

• Victim of trolling-related humor
  • Modding is l'art pour l'art
    • Syrk: The Unification Wars
For reference's sake: you can find the full story here. Thanks for lurking around, guys, it's been a fun ride, honestly! Most of you should have a general idea as to where to find me in case you'd want to. Goodbye :snipe:
HLP member 2008-2012 and Syrk:TUW project leader ~2010-2012