Author Topic: Is there a way to shut off auto roll and auto aim?  (Read 3587 times)

Is there a way to shut off auto roll and auto aim?
????

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: Is there a way to shut off auto roll and auto aim?
Define autoroll.

As for autoaim, simply play in Insane (or whatever the highest difficulty was renamed in Diaspora).
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Not sure what you mean by autoroll, but autoaim can be turned off by switching to any of the three top levels of difficulty :)

(ninja'd!)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You could also manually disable it in the tables I guess, but playing in higher difficulties is much better !
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline newman

Autoroll? Have you tried calibrating your joystick? What you think is a feature could very well be your joystick out of calibration :) If that's not the issue, please clarify what you mean as the game doesn't have any features that could be described as auto roll.

As for turning off autoaim, Matth is very fond of reminding us all he plays on insane in every single post he makes - but despite his claims you don't have to play on insane to turn it off; it's actually off on the advanced difficulty and all difficulty levels above.
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
My guess is that "autoroll" refers to the behavior where your ship rolls slightly when you yaw left and right. It's pretty common in space sims, going back to Wing Commander and X-wing days.

There's no way of turning it off, but you can mod it out pretty easily via ships.tbl if it's really bugging you. :)

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The standard behavior is that the ship 'automatically' rolls when yawed left or right, this is a FS2/Space Sim thing.  One way you can get around this is making "Roll and Pitch" your dominant control scheme similar to an aircraft.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I prefer not to handle a space craft like a fixed winged aircraft. The issue with assigning roll to the keyboard is you only have 100 percent yaw only, which is really bad for tracking targets that can move freely in 3d space. and since lateral/vertical RCS and main/retro boosters could be used with the flight comp off, this is something my friends and I use extensively to avoid bullets.

as for the auto roll, will it still apply with a flight yoke or gamepad? and I have no clue how to mod it out and even if I did what problems that would create with multiplayer.   

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Now that I'm thinking about it, it makes no sense for a space craft to roll a bit while yawing... at least for one that has a flight computer that has easily double the computing power of current-gen PC. :P

Wiki for teh win: Ships.tbl -> $Banking Constant

According to it, 0.5 is the default factor. My guess is that this means that 50% of whatever value given to yaw controls is applied to roll controls. If you wanted to disable the "auto-roll" for all craft*, you'll have to make a no_roll-shp.tbm that has an entry for each player craft. For example:

Code: [Select]
$Name: Name of Ship
+nocreate
$Banking Constant: 0.0

*Disclaimer: I have no experience with messing with the ships.tbl, so please don't bring pitchforks and torches when something goes wrong.  :nervous:
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
the Roll you are experiencing is probably down to this http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ships.tbl#.24Banking_Constant: which applies to everyone no matter the control method.  try the attached file to remove this, open the zip and drag the folder into your diaspora directory and select Diaspora NBC as your mod.

if you want to look what I did navigate to ...\Diaspora\No Banking Constant\data\tables and open the file in your text editor of choice, it is a plain text file so is easy enough to read.  use http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Ships.tbl to find out what each line does

[attachment deleted by a basterd]
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art