Author Topic: Dragon Age 3, Human Origin, concept Art  (Read 15131 times)

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Re: Dragon Age 3, Human Origin, concept Art
I think I'll just have to disagree.  The way ME1's inventory and mod system was handled, even with stacking, was terrible, and the effect on gameplay was only noticeable if you were using the kinds of ammo that were a really bad idea to use anyway, like high explosive.  ME2 did much, much better with the upgrades, both by making ammo a soldier class "power" and by making the upgrades actually upgrades instead of just an endless set of tradeoffs.  If I had to pick which one I liked more (combined with gameplay, since the two are pretty irrevocably linked), I'd take ME2 every single time, and ME3 only made it better.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm talking about the story and atmosphere, not inventory. ME1 inventory system was bad, but I cna suffer a clunky interface if the rest of the game is good. Not vice-versa.

ME1 had the best and most consistent story and atmosphere.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I think I'll just have to disagree.  The way ME1's inventory and mod system was handled, even with stacking, was terrible, and the effect on gameplay was only noticeable if you were using the kinds of ammo that were a really bad idea to use anyway, like high explosive.  ME2 did much, much better with the upgrades, both by making ammo a soldier class "power" and by making the upgrades actually upgrades instead of just an endless set of tradeoffs.  If I had to pick which one I liked more (combined with gameplay, since the two are pretty irrevocably linked), I'd take ME2 every single time, and ME3 only made it better.

Oddly enough, I don't think we actually do disagree on this.  In principal, I actually ended up preferring ME2's system as well.  I just wish it had been a jump from ME1's system directly to ME3's, which had the depth of the first one but the ease of use of the second. 

That said, it's only really relevant here as it's yet another big change from it's predecessor.  Bioware's track record as of late has been 'Sequels may or may not play anything like their predecessors'.  Kind of makes it hard to know what to expect out of their Sequels.

...And I would very much buy a remake of ME1 with ME3's mechanics.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
...And I would very much buy a remake of ME1 with ME3's mechanics.

Abso-****ing-lutely.  If Bioware were to redo the entire trilogy and make the single change of using ME3's mechanics, I would buy that **** in a heartbeat.  I wouldn't even care if the goofy terminator boss was still there, or they kept ME3's ending the way it was, I would still buy that ****.

There was nothing more tedious in the entire game than managing your inventory and mods in ME1.
How about searching for mineral deposits in MAKO? God, I hated that thing.
Yeah, streamlining ME2 was a good decision, even if it went far too far.

As for the story, I'll agree that the main storyline was at its best in ME1, but the main storyline ended up being utterly ****ed up anyway, and I wouldn't have considered it the best thing about ME even if it had been done right. The companion writing and general storylines however were IMO done better in ME2, and still better in ME3.
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
There was nothing more tedious in the entire game than managing your inventory and mods in ME1.
How about searching for mineral deposits in MAKO? God, I hated that thing.
Yeah, streamlining ME2 was a good decision, even if it went far too far.

Well, ME2 didn't do much better in that respect, I'll admit.  At least in ME1 you could scan planets with one button instead of a mini-game.  I much preferred flinging the Mako off cliffs to sitting with my sticks glued in one direction, seeking out mineral deposits in a much less interesting way.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Do I really need to tell all you ME players to get your own damn thread?! :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
You're an admin, time to split !

The board IS called Off-Topic Discussion after all ! :p
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It's apparently a rule now that every discussion about BioWare will degrade into a discussion about ME3 and its issues.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

The more recent tangent appears to be about ME1 and its issues. :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
The more recent tangent appears to be about ME1 and its issues. :p

It's progress!

Actually I went ahead and never played ME3.  I think coming to it fresh with all the DLCs might not be that bad a experience.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:15:33 am by StarSlayer »
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Like I said, find your own thread, I'm not splitting cause too many people have talked about both in the same post and it would be horribly confusing to split it.

This thread is for Dragon Age 3. Which based on its predecessors could be awesome or could be a steaming pile of wank. It's really hard to know which why they'll go on this. Personally I kinda hope they decide to turn the whole Darkspawn myth on its head and prove that it wasn't the Tevinter who created them. It might make things a lot more interesting.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:24:32 am by karajorma »

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
Ok that's it, i specifically asked several times to keep Mass Effect out of this thread, its even in the title. As a result i would like this Thread locked. I did say i would do this if it got derailed on to Mass effect.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
No need to lock it. I've flat out told people not to talk about Mass Effect.

Ignore that at your peril.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Personally I kinda hope they decide to turn the whole Darkspawn myth on its head and prove that it wasn't the Tevinter who created them. It might make things a lot more interesting.

Then who did?

And FYI - I want the myth to be true.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well that's where things could get interesting. It could easily be that the Chantry knew the truth (whatever it was) about the darkspawn and lied about it because it gave them power in their crusade against blood magic. We've seen in the second game that it's pretty easy for someone to go completely to the dark side when it comes to fighting blood magic.

The current story is just a boring "fall from grace" story. Completely uninteresting. Now if the chantry were behind the creation of the Darkspawn, that would be interesting.

Offline starbug

• DarkSide Animations
I think that would be actually a good story, that the Darkspawn where accidentally or on purpose made by the chantry. Also i hope that if they do another fade section it will be more interesting, while i liked the idea of it in the first game i thought that it wasn't protrayed that well,  Reminded me of the Hell level in Doom 3, brillant idea not that well executed. Also would be cool to see one of the old gods awaken without being corrupted.

Personally i think the storyline shouldn't be the normal "end of the world as we know it and your the only one who can stop it" A lot of RPGS do this and companies struggle with the resolve. If it is scaled down a bit, or altered so that the fate of the world doesn't rest on one man/woman's shoulders would make it more interesting.

I am interested to see if past companions come back as companions, although i am pretty certain Lelianna will be one, along with Cassandra. As both are searching for Hawke and Warden and both of those characters we are told will appear as NPCS. Still i wonder how they will do the Warden as they are trying to work it so you don't need your old saves. Yes there is a default Hawke but was there a default Warden???

Also i would like it if they reintroduced dual wielding swords for the warrior class. Also i think Bioware need to focus on the RPG element and not the action, as they admitted they dumbed down the RPG in DA2 to make it more accessible to casual players, wether this was Bioware or EA's idea i think it was bad one, and i hoped that they learned from that error.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 10:28:09 am by starbug »
http://www.youtube.com/user/AnubisX1

if there is any consistancy with the Shivans, it's their lack of consistancy - -Norbert-

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
i think the storyline shouldn't be the normal "end of the world as we know it and your the only one who can stop it" A lot of RPGS do this and companies struggle with the resolve. If it is scaled down a bit, or altered so that the fate of the world doesn't rest on one man/woman's shoulders would make it more interesting.

The flip side of this is that who the hell cares about some random bloke who's not trying to save the whole world?

The current story is just a boring "fall from grace" story. Completely uninteresting. Now if the chantry were behind the creation of the Darkspawn, that would be interesting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Darkspawn predate the Chantry by a number of years?  Quite a number of years.  I wouldn't mind seeing a decent Darkspawn conspiracy involving the Chantry (Chantry didn't create, but does manipulate the blights to reinforce its power, similar to the mundane Crusades but in reverse), though.  It'd also be rather hard to get around the actual Black City in the Fade, which is honestly (within the game) some pretty compelling evidence that the Chantry has the origin of the Darkspawn correct in essence if not in exactness.

Offline Luis Dias

The best origin story ever written was portrayed brilliantly by Hedger in Nolan's Joker. He first provides you a typical psychological reason for his freak smile scar. Then he tells you a completely different one. Just for the sake of it. And you realise it's all bull****, both the movie and Joker are saying "**** you" to the audience, and that you'll be in the dark forever about it.

That's how badasses' origin should always be treated.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Darkspawn predate the Chantry by a number of years?  Quite a number of years.  I wouldn't mind seeing a decent Darkspawn conspiracy involving the Chantry (Chantry didn't create, but does manipulate the blights to reinforce its power, similar to the mundane Crusades but in reverse), though.  It'd also be rather hard to get around the actual Black City in the Fade, which is honestly (within the game) some pretty compelling evidence that the Chantry has the origin of the Darkspawn correct in essence if not in exactness.

Quite a while but Andraste came to power immediately after it. So even if they Chantry did actually cause the blight, they definitely could have had something to do with the first one.

The thing is that they've been very careful to point out that their origin story is always what the Chantry says, and never to actually say it's the truth. So they have some wiggle room to make things much more interesting.