Author Topic: High-poly Apollo  (Read 28969 times)

Offline BirdofPrey

• Help! I see GIMP in my sleep
So how's this coming?  It's lookin' great so far, though the cutouts in the engines seem odd.
The Great War ended 30 years ago.
Our elders tell stories of a glorious civilization; of people with myths of humanity everlasting, who hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

In testing: Radar Icons

Offline Kolgena

Yeah don't worry about the holes. They'll be filled in with greeble or something eventually.

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Very nice :)

I might change the primary mounts a bit though.  I'm not entirely sure how ... but something bothers me about the way the diagonally mounted guns look on an otherwise blank rectangular face.  Maybe recess that face a bit more and extrude the guns a bit more?  Or maybe just add some detail to those blank quadrants?

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
a) holy **** it's blowfish

b) thanks, and yeah I agree, it needs something there. I'll see what I or Esarai can come up with.

c) http://p3d.in/ZMvlM (engine details thanks to Esarai, I'm too incompetent to have done them)
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
* MatthTheGeek likes
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I might change the primary mounts a bit though.  I'm not entirely sure how ... but something bothers me about the way the diagonally mounted guns look on an otherwise blank rectangular face.  Maybe recess that face a bit more and extrude the guns a bit more?  Or maybe just add some detail to those blank quadrants?

Clicky

<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Offline Hades

You really need to stop making me look more incompetent at this than I already do, Esarai. :(
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
That looks really sweet esarai!
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline Luis Dias

Stop saying nonsensical things, Hades. You did a great amazing job and Esarai is also doing a great amazing job building on top of your work. Kudus, it's becoming really cool :)

e: Small noob question. I notice you don't really make the mesh as "one" single entity, but rather with triangles intersecting other triangles, etc., specially in the greebles. What is the general rule of thumb there that one should pay attention to, wrt the FSO engine and so on?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:00:05 pm by Luis Dias »

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
For FSO basically just ensure that there is no region 'open' to space, that way no ships can sneak inside the model and no shots go unregistered.  You can do this by having a completely sealed volume where all faces share edges, or you can have a collection of spaces that do not share edges yet still enclose the volume necessary.  I'm sure someone more well-versed in the actual operation of FSO can provide a better answer, this is me going from experience.  I know the original Typhon model from FS1 had its two top-most antennae detached from the main hull mesh, so doing this has been around for a while.  I generally try to keep the main sections of the mesh as one continuous volume and have the smaller details not connect to the main geometry.  This way things can look pretty and complex without unnecessarily driving the poly-count way up.  There comes a point where if the added detail is too shallow, at a certain distance it can have a flickery effect because the Z-buffer is having trouble differentiating the main surface and the detail surface--they're too close together.  So general rule #2: make sure the details have enough volume to avoid z-fighting.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
You know, this is a really nice model with a lot of cool things to look at, but it doesn't look very 2335 to me, more like post-Capella. The "head" section especially doesn't look much like the original Apollo at all, especially the canopy--the original model's canopy stuck out from the bodywork in a bubble shape instead of being integrated into it. It doesn't have the same utilitarian look that the original FS1 fighters did.

But on a technical level it's flawless.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline TwentyPercentCooler

• Operates at 375 kelvin
You know, this is a really nice model with a lot of cool things to look at, but it doesn't look very 2335 to me, more like post-Capella. The "head" section especially doesn't look much like the original Apollo at all, especially the canopy--the original model's canopy stuck out from the bodywork in a bubble shape instead of being integrated into it. It doesn't have the same utilitarian look that the original FS1 fighters did.

But on a technical level it's flawless.

Yeah, stop making it look so awesome, guys!  :D

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Holy crap that looks really nice
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Hi. It's good to see that you guys are finishing this model. Though I imagined a new HTL Apollo in completely different style (there some parts which are annoying me, like the round engine intakes, but it's nothing important now. I just don't want to complain, because I already have an idea how to use this model :))

I like the idea of filling the space inside the engine pods, but:
I dislike the location of the thruster nozzle inside the pod. These ribs under are pretty but keep it in mind that they will be covered with thruster's flame during the game. And in my opinion it's moved too far to the upper part of the engine pod. And here I have two ideas:

Now it's "upper part" heavy. Apollo has a symmetric ass, that's why I prefer the idea of increasing the number of the nozzles to keep it detailed, but still bricky as the original.

But I think that you can make such thrusters  as are now in the violet covered area. At the bottom pods we have a missile bank so logic says that is not 100% related for engine parts.
 I hope that it will help :D

Offline Hades

The flame will only cover the part of the engine nozzle itself, the part it comes out of. I have been working on FSU pofs to make sure this is the case, so no, it won't cover the ribs.

Also, the retail pof had its modeled thrusters on the top half of the upper two engines. Hence our engine locations.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Solatar

Love it, especially the cockpit area.  It's smooth enough to look good, and I think it looks like a smoother, more realistic version of what the FS1 model might have been trying to portray.

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
    • Minecraft
I dislike the location of the thruster nozzle inside the pod. These ribs under are pretty but keep it in mind that they will be covered with thruster's flame during the game.
Only if we use the dreaded glowpoint-flame bitmap method.  I intend to make modeled thrusters which will not wash out the detail from all directions.  I can also choose, if the modeled thrusters for some reason don't work, to add a bunch of smaller thruster points, and give a similar effect that will not have a massive glow blotting out the detail.

And in my opinion it's moved too far to the upper part of the engine pod.
the retail pof had its modeled thrusters on the top half of the upper two engines. Hence our engine locations.
Exactly.  If you look closely at the original FS1 pof, the thrusters emit from only the top half of each engine pod.  The full-size exhaust flame was introduced at some point during the FreeSpace Port project and has bugged me since forever.

Love it, especially the cockpit area.  It's smooth enough to look good, and I think it looks like a smoother, more realistic version of what the FS1 model might have been trying to portray.
Thanks, Solatar!  When I modeled the cockpit I was going off the original concept art for the Apollo, which did appear to be smoother than the original.  I believe Hades used the concept and the original FS1 model as references for the body, and I think he pulled off a masterful blend of the two.  His version isn't as heavily greebled as the concept art, but I think it's all the better for it.