Author Topic: Re-installing this awesome game again...  (Read 3133 times)

Re-installing this awesome game again...
I'm sorry to ask a question I'm sure has been answered many times before, but there seems to be new versions of patches, textures, etc., and I want this to be as good as it can be.

I bought FS2 from GOG a year or so ago and did the upgrade to the newer versions then, and then let it go after a comp change, etc, so this is where I am now.

I reinstalled the FS2 from GOG to the C:\Games\FreeSpace2 directory.  No problem.  I am thinking the just released fs2_open_3_6_14.zip update is the latest and greatest update, and I've downloaded it but haven't run it yet. 

Obviously I want the best texture and graphics pack, but don't know which one to d/l.  I am also unsure as to the order of installing these upgrades.

When I did it a year ago it worked awesome, but there seems to be a few more versions, so I just want to make sure.  I'm running Win7 64-bit, with a core i7 860 and a HD 5850 ATI card.  I looked at CPU-Z and think I'm good to go with the latest SSE sets.

So can you give me the order of installation please?  Much appreciated. 

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Re-installing this awesome game again...
There's only one version you need to play FreeSpace 2 with upgraded graphics:

Get the 3.6.14 exe

Get a launcher that can run it (like WXLauncher)

Get the 3.6.12 MediaVPs

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
These are still the most up-to-date graphics updates. Follow the instructions there for maximum enjoyment.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Also be sure to browse this board for hi-poly variants of some ships that have released after the MediaVPS came out.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Also be sure to browse this board for hi-poly variants of some ships that have released after the MediaVPS came out.
Not something I'd advise to newbies. Changes are they don't know how to manage such mods "the right way". Better for them to be included in future versions of mediavps.

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Not something I'd advise to newbies. Changes are they don't know how to manage such mods "the right way". Better for them to be included in future versions of mediavps.

Point taken!
However I did manage to do all that when I was a "newbie". Its just a matter of reading the respective thread and follow instructions to the letter. Just saying
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Its just a matter of reading the respective thread and follow instructions to the letter. Just saying
Yet some people manage to have serious trouble with mediavps and mod (like blue planet) installation instructions.