Author Topic: Play Descent in your browser  (Read 1951 times)

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
Play Descent in your browser
Along with 300 other DOS games. Had a run at the first level of Descent during my lunch break at IBM, just as fun as I remember.

http://www.classicdosgames.com/online.html
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline Luis Dias

Re: Play Descent in your browser
Gawds, it haz MK3, Quake, Simcity 2000....

Syndicate!! Transport Tycoon!! Oh my...

Warcraft...

Wait a minute is this even legal?

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
some kind of java based dos emulator. can it emulate things like glide and various sound hardware?
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Turey

• Installer dude

Warcraft...

According to the site: “All of the games on this site are freely distributable because they are shareware, freeware, or because the copyright holder has officially and legally released all rights to the public domain (abandonware).”

some kind of java based dos emulator. can it emulate things like glide and various sound hardware?
I have no idea. It must be more than just a java-based dos emulator, since when I dropped out of decent, I played around on the command line a bit, and it was clearly more than just a bare-bones dos clone. Perhaps some sort of Java VM or remote screen-viewing software?
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
All the Duke Nukems, Heretic, Hexen, Strife, Raptor CotS, both SimCities...

ZONE 66!!!!

Now I need to figure if I can rip the music files.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
it seems the pyro got a significant engine boost.
I like to stare at the sun.

"And so it was, that Scourge never ever did anything else, ever. The End."

Offline watsisname

According to the site: “All of the games on this site are freely distributable because they are shareware, freeware, or because the copyright holder has officially and legally released all rights to the public domain (abandonware).”

I am fairly sure this is bull****.  Parallax may have dissolved, but unless I am very mistaken the rights were never released.  GOG still sells D1+D2 for $10.  There's a few other games on that site that are of questionable legality as well, notably Commander Keen.

'Abandonware' is a pretty grey area.  Usually this sort of thing is not pursued, so I wouldn't worry about it, but it's not strictly legal, either.
In my world of sleepers, everything will be erased.
I'll be your religion, your only endless ideal.
Slowly we crawl in the dark.
Swallowed by the seductive night.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
awesomness overload  :warp:

edit

just spent a few minutes tinkering with it.  the system seems to be a Java system to run dosbox, also there is *a lot* of shareware versions on there including doom and descent
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 02:18:33 am by headdie »
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
holy **** it's Turey
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mikes

Warcraft...

Ah... Monkey Island is ESA protected and NOT abandonware. You will notice that sites like Abandonia do not host it for that reason: http://www.abandonia.com/games/19/MonkeyIsland1.htm

Just saying...

Offline Luis Dias

Further, in another page, they go to great lenghts explaining why they will never release abandonware because it's filled with legal problems and so on...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I am fairly sure this is bull****.  Parallax may have dissolved, but unless I am very mistaken the rights were never released.  GOG still sells D1+D2 for $10.  There's a few other games on that site that are of questionable legality as well, notably Commander Keen.

They seem to be hosting shareware versions; Z66 is only the first mission, for example.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
holy **** it's Turey
Yep it's me. I'm currently working at IBM (my salary is like woah :eek2:) while taking classes. Still trying to finish up my degree, only got a bit left.

They seem to be hosting shareware versions; Z66 is only the first mission, for example.
For all the people talking about legality, this is the right answer. I've only played Descent on the site, but it's very clearly the shareware version, which means it has always been free to legally distribute. A fair number of the games seem to be full versions, but the ones you've been talking about are probably shareware versions.

For those who don't remember/weren't around for the shareware era, shareware is a cut-down version of the game, sort of like a long demo, which is distributed for free, in order to spark interest and increase sales. It's perfectly legal to host in this manner.