Author Topic: Reorganising the forums  (Read 5425 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Reorganising the forums
Okay, Reorganisation phase 1 is complete. But that leaves me with some issues I hadn't realised.

1) The StarShatter OSP - I tend to feel it might be better placed at the bottom of the modding, mission design and coding section. At the moment it's kinda languishing - unloved - at the bottom of the board. Sticking it below the Voice Acting forum would give it a lot more prominence. With proper labelling it shouldn't be confused with the SCP board above it.
 If there would be the traffic for it, I'd suggest also having a Starshatter board in the Full Games section. But I don't think we have enough for that at the moment.

2) I'm not certain of the status of Homeworld: Blue Planet so I'm not certain if it should join MCO in the Non FS2_Open mods.

Anyway, if anyone has any other comments, feel free to post them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Reorganising the forums
One thing I didn't think of earlier is that several frequently used boards are now a lot farther down the page.  I have to scroll way way down to get to the SCP, FRED, or Tools boards.

Also, I recommend changing or removing the "FS2_Open" prefix from the Modding and FREDding forums, since they aren't technically restricted to FSO.

EDIT: Also, FSUP and SCP are now pretty far apart.  And I can't collapse all the hosted projects to get to the rest of the boards faster because they now contain Missions and Campaigns. :nervous:
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 11:44:48 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Also, I recommend changing or removing the "FS2_Open" prefix from the Modding and FREDding forums, since they aren't technically restricted to FSO.

I suspect anyone who is still modding or FREDding for FS retail already knows that though. :)

We can always dub FRED Fred2_Open 0.1, and FRED 2 Fred2_Open 0.9 if it really bothers you. :p

Offline -Norbert-

I was wondering why there is a distinction between "Non FS2_Open Mods" and "Hosted Projects - Non FS2_Open / Freespace".
While I can see why it would make a difference wether mods/projects are hosted on HLP or just "guests" if there were many of them, there are a total of 4 non-freespace project on the forum, so I think putting them into a single category would be better.

Also MechCommander OmniTech does look quite lonely, all alone in it's own category.

Offline Starman01

• Mechwarrior
    • Wing Commander Saga
Honestly, It makes me wonder too  :p    But it Guess it's, the "other" projects have sort of a connection to freespace, while my project is pretty much an outsider here.. Only thing we have in common with Freespace, is the HLP Board (Btw, thanks again for hosting ).

And on a side note, in the current setup I'm closer to the top  :p
MECHCOMMANDER OMNITECH

9 out of 10 voices in my head always tell me that I'm not insane. The 10th is only humming the melody of TETRIS.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
The new section is for Non FS2 mods that have released something. I probably should rename the old section to indicate that.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface

I suspect anyone who is still modding or FREDding for FS retail already knows that though. :)

We can always dub FRED Fred2_Open 0.1, and FRED 2 Fred2_Open 0.9 if it really bothers you. :p
Do we really have to do with underscores ? I am afraid it might scare newbies away.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I second Goober's concerns. The new layout may be more logical, but it's less comfortable. I don't like it.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck

Do we really have to do with underscores ? I am afraid it might scare newbies away.

I have to agree, the sea of underscores is kind of intimidating, and a bit unsightly to boot.

Maybe "FS2 Open" instead? Or just keep some names from before and maintain the current order: FreeSpace Modding, FreeSpace Mission Design (FRED), The FreeSpace 2 Source Code Project (which is the official name anyway), FreeSpace Tools and then FreeSpace Scripting. Might as well make the section title "FreeSpace Modding, Mission Design, and Coding" in that case.

EDIT: FSUP is now in the mods section? :confused: I suppose it's a mod, although that section isn't where I'd think to look for it. I'm not sure offhand where that board should go, but it strikes me as an odd spot. I'd expect to see only playable things in that section.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:06:27 am by jg18 »

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Tools and Scripting shouldn't be labeled as 'FreeSpace' anymore though. They apply to Diaspora, TBP, and to some extent, WCS.

FSU is fine in the modding section.. it's more about that than anything else.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I second Goober's concerns. The new layout may be more logical, but it's less comfortable. I don't like it.

You'll get used to it.  Change is generally initially uncomfortable, and I daresay that letting new people see what's on the surface important to the game is more worthwhile than a few long time members being more comfortable with the layout.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Still, I have to scroll all the way to the bottom to get to modding, which is the board I frequent the most. I'm sure that's the case with many other users. SCP is also way too low. I preferred it when I could go to the front page and had everything I needed within one turn of a scroll wheel.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Yeah well... this reorganization isn't for you or any of the long-time users. It's for the new users. The board is now organized generally from top to bottom where you can start at the top by playing campaigns an move into modding. It's good for new members. The rest of us can get used to it.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Yarn

I agree with getting rid of the underscores; terms containing them are usually file names or computer jargon.

Also, in "Non FS2_Open Mods" and "Hosted Projects - Non FS2_Open / Freespace," there should be a hyphen between "Non" and "FS2."
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Isn't there any way to make the new layout optional? I either have to collapse a few useful boards or scroll through the entire page to get to modding. If this one segment was higher up, I suppose I could get used to it. The way it's now, it's just irritating.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
You can make a page of HTML links to the forums you like to visit and use that when you visit HLP. There's your optional layout. ;) There's no other way to do it.

Besides, you should be happy about the new layout. I've moved almost all the hosted projects you belong to closer to the top! :p

I personally don't consider the underscores to be a big deal. But we might as well lose them. :)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 05:42:24 pm by karajorma »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Most of this seems like a good idea, though there are one or two folders that I think might work better grouped a bit differently.  I can't help but feel like the SCP folder deserves a more prominent spot, and that it should still be close to FSU, even though the two don't strictly fall into the same category.

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
I'd say group all of the non-FS stuff into one forum.  Right now MCO is just sitting there with its own board, and higher up the list than a single board section probably should be.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
From what I understand, MCO has actually released stuff. It would be rather unfair to group it lower on the forum just because no one else has.

Most of this seems like a good idea, though there are one or two folders that I think might work better grouped a bit differently.  I can't help but feel like the SCP folder deserves a more prominent spot, and that it should still be close to FSU, even though the two don't strictly fall into the same category.

Well I could always move it to the top of its category so it's above modding, FREDding, etc if no one minds. But if I move the SCP I really should move the tools project right below it too since they are both coding related.

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I personally don't consider the underscores to be a big deal. But we might as well lose them. :)

It really does look a lot better without them. :yes: Thanks.

Well I could always move it to the top of its category so it's above modding, FREDding, etc if no one minds. But if I move the SCP I really should move the tools project right below it too since they are both coding related.

Makes sense to me.