Author Topic: OpenAL.org + creative dev website down  (Read 3479 times)

Offline dekemo

OpenAL.org + creative dev website down
Just wanted to say that FS2 was one of my favorite games as a kid, and I am looking forward to some hi-rez nostalgia.

Anyways, I've been scouring the internet the last few days for a working link for the OpenAL installer for windows, because creative's website has been giving me a runtime error whenever I try it.  Does anyone have a permalink for this? 

Someone's post from 2008 suggested they had a permalink in their signature.  Sadly it is gone, ha.

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: OpenAL.org + creative dev website down
There's always OpenAL Soft, found here: http://kcat.strangesoft.net/openal.html
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Yarn

You still need to install OpenAL, even if you use OpenAL Soft. Here is the link to the download page (yes, it works; I tested it just now):
http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/Downloads/Forms/AllItems.aspx
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Uhhh, no? Installing OAL Soft should be enough....
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Yarn

I read the OpenAL Soft readme file more carefully this time; it looks like you can use OpenAL Soft alone after all by renaming the DLL file. Here is a quote from the readme:
Note that it is still expected to install the OpenAL redistributable provided by Creative Labs (at http://openal.org/), as that will provide the "router" OpenAL32.dll that applications talk to, and may provide extra drivers for the user's hardware. The DLLs provided here will simply add additional devices for applications to select from. If you do not wish to use the redistributable, then rename soft_oal.dll to OpenAL32.dll (note: even the 64-bit DLL should be named OpenAL32.dll)... just be aware this will prevent other system-installed OpenAL implementations from working.
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178