Author Topic: The "Best Joystick" question - new for 2013 !  (Read 15064 times)

Offline Klaustrophobia

• the REAL Nuke of HLP
    • North Carolina Tigers
Re: The "Best Joystick" question - new for 2013 !
because normal people only have two hands?
I like to stare at the sun.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
ch user. before i used ch i used an x52 and one of its predecessors at a rate of one hotas every 1.5 years. then i bought a ch stick/throttle/pedals. ive yet to determine how long they will last (by the way i bought them 5 or 6 years ago). while the saitek sticks had some nice features and really sexy grips, they completely sucked at being durable (and im no stick banger either, i give the stick the finesse and grace it deserves and that which only comes from years of joysticking experience), and dont get me started about that ****ty single spring mechanism. ch on the other hand doesnt try to do anything fancy, its hat switches, buttons and axes and the stick software is the best ive seen.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'm with you on that one. I've never had any problem with my CH HOTAS and I bought it used. The Control Manager does what usually requires 3rd party software, and better, so I've yet to see a game that wouldn't play nice with the set. You can even bind buttons (and axes) to keyboard keys if all else fails. 

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Has anyone used one of these? 
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m
http://www.thrustmaster.com/press/heart-hall-effect-accurate-technology-unique-3d-technological-innovation-built-new-thrustmaste

They wax lyrical about how wonderful the magnetic sensors are but that's what every marketing department would say, so I was wondering if anyone had 1st hand experience?  Would it be as good as the light sensors in the MS Precision Pro?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Valiran

On the other hand, the truth that playing space sims with a joystick can be a really fun option is great and should be shouted from the rooftops.

Hear hear. I was playing FS last night, for the first time in a long time, with a joystick, throttle, pedals, and freetrack rig. It was sublime.

Noob question time. :ick:  How do you set that up, anyway?  I thought FS2 was only compatible with a joystick+throttle?  Also, what's a freetrack rig and how does it make the game better?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Combine your controllers into a single Windows device. If you have a CH set, they come with an utility for that, for the rest you need 3rd party software. Freetrack is a head tracking utility, basically allows you to control your viewpoint by slight head movements.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
if you are really anal you drill several holes in your desk and install an industrial panel mount stick and a bunch of arcade buttons. im going to do that one of these days when my ch breaks down (in about three decades). 
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

I predict you'll go on a killing spree and get shot to pieces by SWAT long before that happens. :lol:
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline Drogoth

Are you specifically averse to flying with mouse/keyboard? I ask this not because I want to put down joysticks, but just so you know that it's completely possible to play and enjoy the game (even at the highest skill level) without a stick.

:nervous:

He's right haha. I never used a joystick. And I've played FS since I was five years old.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Eli2

Has anyone used one of these? 
http://www.thrustmaster.com/products/t16000m
Would it be as good as the light sensors in the MS Precision Pro?
I have one of those, it is pretty precise and has no dead zone.
For smaller hands you might need to modify it a bit and it has an annoying light that goes on as soon as the stick is moved (you have to cut the cables).
I have no clue how it compares to other modern joysticks.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Thanks ;)  Given that they aren't expensive, I'll probably give it a go when my current Logitech bites the dust.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...