Author Topic: really low frames, followed by smooth framerate  (Read 1755 times)

really low frames, followed by smooth framerate
ive been having a problem with performance issues on this laptop for a while, tried looking for an adequate solution but couldn't find any.  whenever ingame, i find myself ranging from 120fps, dropping to 20, sometimes even as low as 8 (wih3's intro), only to jump up again to 120, then down again.  this machine is by no means bad (geforce 560m) running the latest drivers as well.

ive ran bp, as well as other campaigns on a much inferior computer with pretty much the same video settings which ran smoother and more consistent then this.  i find lowering settings to yield no real differences, same slowdowns at the exact same moments, with no real difference.  lower video settings will still drop to 8 and stay at 120, same as the high settings.

anymore input on this is appreciated, thanks, and so far loving wih3 despite these problems

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline ellerto

Re: really low frames, followed by smooth framerate
ive been having a problem with performance issues on this laptop for a while, tried looking for an adequate solution but couldn't find any.  whenever ingame, i find myself ranging from 120fps, dropping to 20, sometimes even as low as 8 (wih3's intro), only to jump up again to 120, then down again.  this machine is by no means bad (geforce 560m) running the latest drivers as well.

ive ran bp, as well as other campaigns on a much inferior computer with pretty much the same video settings which ran smoother and more consistent then this.  i find lowering settings to yield no real differences, same slowdowns at the exact same moments, with no real difference.  lower video settings will still drop to 8 and stay at 120, same as the high settings.

anymore input on this is appreciated, thanks, and so far loving wih3 despite these problems

Is it actually a fps drop? Isn't that just damned AV trying to scan every single file that the game touches? Because my NOD did just that. After killing it, all was well.

So I am having the same problem too.  I used to play WiH and Aquarius on all the highest settings with most launcher options enabled.
Now the intro mission is a slideshow, and the first combat mission worked fine the first time for me but on reply the frame-rate is also looking like  a slideshow.  I'm using the 3.6.17 build and I tried getting rid of advanced textures and not adding any additional launcher options except for -shadow_quality 0 but that didn't help either.  Any suggestions?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Can you try the build from the build repository thread pinned here? Turn down lighting detail on the in-game options menu

ive tried removing advanced texture mps, as well as the new build with the shadows off by default.  ive also added the shadows 0 command as well as lowering the lighting settings.  performance seemed to be exactly the same, ive even turned every single option to the lowest setting ingame (not launcher) only to yield the same result.  ill probably try to take a video of this happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Can you try the build from the build repository thread pinned here? Turn down lighting detail on the in-game options menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1WexYKDhH0&feature=youtu.be heres a video of the original WIH act 1 intro with a framerate counter.

this is using the new repository build as well as lowest lighting settings.  mv_advanced/animglows as well as the individual bp advanced files were also removed.

this is running with these specs

intel i7-2630qm 2ghz
12gigs of ram
gtx560m 3gb w/ latest drivers

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Have you tried disabling your AV while playing? "Cuz that looks like stutter caused by the AV if you ask me...
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Holy crap, I've been having the same problems going through all the same procedures, thinking that the new deferred lighting code was really killing my system. I disabled my Micro Trend Internet Security and everything sped up by a factor of 10 including loading times...  :blah:

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Holy crap, I've been having the same problems going through all the same procedures, thinking that the new deferred lighting code was really killing my system. I disabled my Micro Trend Internet Security and everything sped up by a factor of 10 including loading times...  :blah:

Well that's paranoid AV's checking all the files FSO loads for "viruses"  :nono:
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Well to be fair, a number of BP missions can be quite sickening.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Well, the new lighting code is still giving me problems, but at least I can play with shaders turned off. Thanks for saving BP for me! :lol: