Author Topic: Player Respawns?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline Lorric

Hello. Does anyone know if it's possible to give the player respawns in a normal mission, like you can give everything else?

This is not an urgent question, it is just something I've been curious about for a while.

Offline Axem

Short answer: No with a but.

Long answer: You can't have the same system as multiplayer does with respawning. But you can try to fake it. You could try guardianing the player, then when you hit 1% hull either do a death roll or mini cutscene (in an attempt to recreate the death roll cutscene we see) if you like, then heal the player up, reload his weapons, and move him to a respawn point.

You can keep track of the number of times this happens with variables and kill the player for real if he runs out of lives or something.

Offline Lorric

Short answer: No with a but.

Long answer: You can't have the same system as multiplayer does with respawning. But you can try to fake it. You could try guardianing the player, then when you hit 1% hull either do a death roll or mini cutscene (in an attempt to recreate the death roll cutscene we see) if you like, then heal the player up, reload his weapons, and move him to a respawn point.

You can keep track of the number of times this happens with variables and kill the player for real if he runs out of lives or something.

Thanks. The recreation would be beyond me, but I might be able to do just filling the player's health back up from 1% and nothing else. I haven't done anything at all with variables though.

I guess I'll be taking "no with a but". I like that. No with a but... I've never heard anyone say that before.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
You should learn variables.

Another option is to set up a checkpoint system so the player can save and load their progress in the mission.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I actually plan to have a long look at the respawn code once the pilot code is in trunk. I've been toying with the idea of seeing if it's possible to have respawns in single player rather than just multi.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
If it's just one mission, make it a coop mission with one player. If you want it in a SP campaign though, you'll have to do whatever was said above.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Lorric

You should learn variables.

Another option is to set up a checkpoint system so the player can save and load their progress in the mission.

I don't understand them. I made some stuff for Warcraft 3 years ago and I didn't understand them then either. I understood what they do but not how to make them work. But for now I haven't needed them. If I do though, maybe I'll come back here and ask about them. For now, I don't want to run before I can walk.

I actually plan to have a long look at the respawn code once the pilot code is in trunk. I've been toying with the idea of seeing if it's possible to have respawns in single player rather than just multi.

I think that could add a new dimension to future missions. Long or difficult missions could be more enjoyable that way. The best players would still get a challenge trying to complete it without dying, while others could still complete it.

If it's just one mission, make it a coop mission with one player. If you want it in a SP campaign though, you'll have to do whatever was said above.

I've never tried doing anything with the co-op missions, I might have to look into it sometime. I didn't know you could have a 1 player co-op mission, it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?

Thanks for that.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I think that could add a new dimension to future missions. Long or difficult missions could be more enjoyable that way. The best players would still get a challenge trying to complete it without dying, while others could still complete it.

That's what checkpoints are for.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I've never tried doing anything with the co-op missions, I might have to look into it sometime. I didn't know you could have a 1 player co-op mission, it kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
Well you could probably say that, but you'd have your respawns with 0 effort needed !

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Offline Lorric

That's what checkpoints are for.

And I've no idea how to do those either. But checkpoints are not what I want at all in this case, I was thinking the player would have some lives.

Well you could probably say that, but you'd have your respawns with 0 effort needed !

Sounds good! I would have control over the respawns of everything else, wouldn't I? It wouldn't force everything to have the same number of respawns, would it?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Well, everything in player wings will use the same number of respawn, so if you have only one player, that's just you. All other wings behave just like in SP, so that's fully under your control.

Offline Lorric

Well, everything in player wings will use the same number of respawn, so if you have only one player, that's just you. All other wings behave just like in SP, so that's fully under your control.

Ah, good! Thanks  :)

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
Andrew's scroll shooter could be more arcade-y with extra lives.