Author Topic: Alright, BP crew, you've brought my system to its knees...  (Read 3461 times)

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Alright, BP crew, you've brought my system to its knees...
I'm thoroughly impressed that even after disabling post-processing, FxAA, soft particles, and shadows, your recent release brings my framerate in the opening cutscene of R2 from 120 fps down to FOUR.  FOUR.  There aren't many current games that can do that.  This machine is older but not ancient - an E8400, Geforce GTS 512 MB, and 4 GB of overclocked RAM are still respectable.

Guess I have to disable advanced effects.  Sheesh you guys, you've outdone yourselves =)
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Re: Alright, BP crew, you've brought my system to its knees...
OK, perplexed now, even after disabling the advanced effects VPs for both bp folders and the mvps folder I'm still getting major stuttering and slowdowns in that cutscene...

It's been ages since I last ran an FSO build, do I still have to use single-core processor affinity?  I haven't set it yet for this but I'm wondering...
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
plz2log
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
plz2log

Will do when I get back.  We gotta run out right now.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Attaching log file.

The framerate is still dropping significantly at various points during the opening cutscene mission.  There are are several hang-ups occurring at transitions.

I have not yet disabled specular / glowmaps /environment maps / normal maps.  Though I've never had to disabled them previously either...  I know there's a lot going on in this cutscene, but eish.

[attachment deleted by a basterd]

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Try the builds The_E posted in the build repository. Reduce lighting detail in the in-game options menu to minimum. Any help for FPS?

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
That latest build with Lighting set to one pip in the in-game menu helped somewhat - the lowest the framerate dropped was about 15.  The transitions in the cutscene aren't totally smooth, but at least its now watchable.

Looks like (if any missions get that intense) I'm probably going to have to disable normal maps.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
Last time someone accused WoD of being 'teh worse optimized piece of crap evar', it turned out his performance took a massive dump because he had overclocked something in his system.

Last time I slightly overclocked my RAM, starcraft 2 would just randomly crash until I figured that the overclock caused it.

In short, try setting your RAM back to normal speeds and run BP again, see if that makes any difference. (can't hurt to try)
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Last time someone accused WoD of being 'teh worse optimized piece of crap evar', it turned out his performance took a massive dump because he had overclocked something in his system.

Last time I slightly overclocked my RAM, starcraft 2 would just randomly crash until I figured that the overclock caused it.

In short, try setting your RAM back to normal speeds and run BP again, see if that makes any difference. (can't hurt to try)

The DDR2 RAM in this machine has been up-voltaged to its operating voltage for 4 years.  No offense, but everything else runs with total stability (and FSO previously did so as well).  I suspect this is more a case of the BP folks creating some seriously kickass assets that, coupled with the new FSO builds, mean my semi-modern computer now performs in its age bracket =)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The assets are almost certainly less the issue than the new deferred lighting code.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
The assets are almost certainly less the issue than the new deferred lighting code.

Well, as I said, basically shutting that off seems to have helped a fair bit.  I'll let you know how its goes in the missions themselves.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
So yeah, I'm having problems, too. Framerate so bad I'm getting killed during missions. Right now I'm replaying WiH1.

Offline Spoon

• ヾ(´︶`♡)ノ
The DDR2 RAM in this machine has been up-voltaged to its operating voltage for 4 years.  No offense, but everything else runs with total stability (and FSO previously did so as well).  I suspect this is more a case of the BP folks creating some seriously kickass assets that, coupled with the new FSO builds, mean my semi-modern computer now performs in its age bracket =)
Its funny because this was exactly my reaction too.
"I've been running this overclocked RAM for over a year now and everything works with total stability! that can't be the issue!" I too, was dismissing this possibilty right away without giving it a try. But then it turned out Starcraft didn't agree with me at all.
And that guy that had issues with performance, discovered it was due to overclocking

So no offense taken, its a familiar reaction!
But I still recommend you at least give it a try. 4 year old overclocked RAM might not be as reliable as you think it is.
Urutorahappī!!

[02:42] <@Axem> spoon somethings wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> critically wrong
[02:42] <@Axem> im happy with these missions now
[02:44] <@Axem> well
[02:44] <@Axem> with 2 of them

Hey I just wanted to point out that I was having all of the above issues, but then I turned my lighting options down to 3 and bingo everything is super smooth.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Something about this newer build is really killing my system. I've tried turning down all detail settings, disabling shaders, even taking out advanced vps. I'm starting to think this isn't a BP specific problem, BP assets just accentuate the problem.

My system specs:
AMD A6-3420M 1.50 GHz
RADEON HD 6520G
8 GB RAM

And log attached for anyone interested.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
As we've explained here a few times, the new deferred lighting system in use in these builds is probably killing your performance.

Please check out the build repository thread The_E posted here and follow the suggestions within.

Offline Pred the Penguin

• muahahaha...
    • Minecraft
    • EaWPR
Already tried that. If it was just a case low fps during the cutscene it wouldn't matter too much. Right now I'm getting framerate stutter when I look at a wing of Hercs.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Make sure you're using the builds The_E provided and that your in game options menu lighting detail is turned down to the bottom setting. If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what to do next.

Offline MP-Ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
Make sure you're using the builds The_E provided and that your in game options menu lighting detail is turned down to the bottom setting. If that doesn't help, I'm not sure what to do next.

I found that even reducing the lighting to minimum did not totally resolve the performance issues in the opening cutscene, BUT I have yet to experience major framerate drops in the Dreamscape or Nothing is True (haven't gotten further than that).

I'm going to re-enable the advanced features tonight (most likely) and see if its just the lighting causing these issues.  I'm positive I used all of them in WiH1 and some other recent campaigns.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Again, I just want to emphasize that anything you did before switching to these builds is not a good predictor of performance, as they use an entirely new deferred lighting model.