Author Topic: Ideas to increase user friendliness  (Read 4641 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Ideas to increase user friendliness
Gets my vote. :yes:

:nervous:

And that's the kind of nonsense that happens when I post after only being awake for 5 minutes! :rolleyes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
Woohoo! After mentioning it twice this month, the Installer has finally been removed!

Also, can we make General FreeSpace Board less cluttered? I was thinking about unpinning the three "Getting Started for OS" (GSOS) threads and pin a "Getting Started" thread with the three "GSOS" threads linked within the "Getting Started" thread. Makes a bit more sense now that we have the GSOS threads on the nav bar too.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
IMO stuff like that belongs to the wiki. SMF 2.0 IIRC supports boards that are essentially redirecting to another url. In other words, admin can create a board called "Getting started" which redirects to specific FSWiki article.

I've always though of the wiki as a resource most usefull for modders and the acquainted with FSO, not some place where newbs get what they need. There's no interaction there, nowhere and no one to turn to when you face a problem, forums are different since there always seems to be someone out there reading your inquiries.

Newbies don't get along that much with the wiki IMO, or do not even know it exists and why does it exist at all.

If I were a newbie I'd look for tut's on how to install FS the on the forums, as soon as I get to a thread that seems to redirect me to another site I might probably distrust said thread and hit the back button on my browser.

Placing everything that's necessary on a single board would be much more effective from a newbie pov, they'd get to see the title and it's quite clear they need to go there to start with freespace, you can introduce them in the jargon on one thread, some history about the game on the other and then let them follow the instructions to manually install freespace.

You could even take that hole wiki article and port it to a few different threads on the forum, it explains a lot but when it comes to instructions or resources to get FS installed you're getting linked to the forums again and that seems kind of redundant, and probably puzzling to a complete stranger to these places.
el hombre vicio...

Well we do have the Getting Started page on the Wiki, it's even linked from the forum top bar! But I agree with Rodo, it is not very interactive - the advantage of a newbie forum would be a place to group all newbie questions. The Wiki page is also a bit of a wall-of-text as is.

Newbies don't get along that much with the wiki IMO, or do not even know it exists and why does it exist at all.
Actually the wiki is pretty much how I got into FSO. I was looking for info on the game, so I googled "freespace wiki", and here I am. Even after installing FSO, it took me while to even look at the forums, let alone register.

So yeah, I think this kind of info has a place on the wiki as well.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
What do you guys think about an Articles (or Guides, or How-To, or whatever) section on the mainpage? I'm working on the new mainpage, and content is somewhat sparse... ;)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
My opinion hasn't changed since, what, four years ago? Such section is unnecessary when there is already the wiki. Now, pulling content from the wiki to display on the mainpage is different matter and much better choice.

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I thought this topic was a release for behavioural modification based on the title. I feel cheated and request taco-based compensation.
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png