Author Topic: Ideas to increase user friendliness  (Read 4642 times)

Offline Axem

Ideas to increase user friendliness
The new forum layout is pretty rad, but there's a curious problem. There's still way too much for a newbie to see. If you're on the main page and you go "Getting Started" you see a long history about FreeSpace and what it means to be a GTVA pilot! My teel deer senses are tingling and I'm hitting the back button. If you're on the forums, there's a bazillion links (slightly exaggerated) that leads to areas that all look highly technical.

The easiest instructions to get FreeSpace Open working, you need a minimum of... well 1 click right now. 3.6.16 RC1 is top of the news. But that doesn't lead you to basic instructions and that's not always going to stay there. So worst case we need to go to the forums (1 click), wander into General FreeSpace (2 clicks) see a this year old thread about installing FreeSpace open and mods (3 clicks) and then wonder if these instructions are still up to date. Maybe I should make a post!

In the interests of speeding this process along, how about a big giant banner or box at the top of the main page and above the highlights on the forums with something like...

UPGRADING FREESPACE 2
Windows - Mac - Linux

And eventually when that... installer... gets finished, the link could go to installing the installer and instant FreeSpace successes!

Thoughts?

Re: Ideas to increase user friendliness
:yes:
Also, since it's supposed to be the new "primary" launcher, I think wxLauncher should feature more prominently on both the Installation and the Release threads.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Holy **** the FSOInstaller is still linked on the top bar? that should probably change until it's not broke as ****

Offline Luis Dias

Holy **** the FSOInstaller is still linked on the top bar? that should probably change until it's not broke as ****

Yeah, that *has* been "suggested" a lot of times already. Sigh.

:yes:
Also, since it's supposed to be the new "primary" launcher, I think wxLauncher should feature more prominently on both the Installation and the Release threads.

... And stop calling it "alpha".

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
+1 for Axem's banner idea :)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
For the past few weeks, I have been doing research on the concurrency building blocks needed to complete the installer. :nervous:

Nevertheless, I've emailed Sandwich to ask how the top bar can be changed.  I'd do it myself but the site files are a mess of multiple engines and templates, some of them obsolete and no longer used.  It took me three days to figure out how to add Tapioca Pudding to the main page. :sigh:

EDIT: Okay, I have the information now.  Top bar should be updated.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 07:38:41 pm by Goober5000 »

Offline Axem

So it is... it took me awhile to find it. I was thinking something much more prominent and in your face on the forum page and on the main page (and getting rid of that FSO installer link for now).

Offline Luis Dias

I like how it is right now :)

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Axem has a valid point, and I like his idea.  I was a little familiar with the forums and running FSO, having run it from the installer several years ago, but when I decided to come back last summer I went through exactly what he mentions - multiple links and threads, and never quite sure if what I was looking at was the most up-to-date info.  I very nearly went back to just using the installer to be done with it.  I think someone just casually showing up to check it out, who is not dedicated to using the most current info, would just give up (or use the installer, if they find it).

On a separate aspect of being noob-friendly, is there a thread or post or wiki or anything somewhere defining terms, jargon, and abbreviations?  I cannot always tell from context what some of the forum posts are about, especially if they are not about the retail versions/campaigns.  :)

Thanks, you all!  This whole project is obviously a labor of love, and you all are awesome. 
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.

On a separate aspect of being noob-friendly, is there a thread or post or wiki or anything somewhere defining terms, jargon, and abbreviations?  I cannot always tell from context what some of the forum posts are about, especially if they are not about the retail versions/campaigns. :)
Yep, there is indeed.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
Awesome; thanks!  I promise, I did look before I posted that.  :)

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
Was there a certain search term you used on the wiki that didn't trigger that page?  We could presumably add a re-direct if that's the case.

Offline deathspeed

• Steam
I think my main problem was that I overlooked the "freespace jargon" link on the right side of the main wiki page.   Doh!

Searching for "terms", "terminology", "jargon", and 'abbreviations" did return a lot of results; I was trying to figure how to narrow it down than just gave up and asked.    :D

Perhaps we need an easy-to-find 'newbie section' linked from the forums, to group installation guides and a couple of these useful Wiki pages?

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Steam
If you want to go simplistic, then better just create a separate board inside General Freespace and call it "Getting Started", then place all threads related to FS2 Open installation in there, as well with some background story explaining the difference between FSO and FS2, where to obtain a copy of FS2 and if possible a multiplayer section with install instructions as well.
el hombre vicio...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
that is a legit good idea

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It is an excellent idea and I endorse it.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Get's my vote. :yes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you want to go simplistic, then better just create a separate board inside General Freespace and call it "Getting Started", then place all threads related to FS2 Open installation in there, as well with some background story explaining the difference between FSO and FS2, where to obtain a copy of FS2 and if possible a multiplayer section with install instructions as well.
IMO stuff like that belongs to the wiki. SMF 2.0 IIRC supports boards that are essentially redirecting to another url. In other words, admin can create a board called "Getting started" which redirects to specific FSWiki article.