Author Topic: First atempt at FREDing something. Help ?  (Read 3288 times)

Offline Lorric

Re: First atempt at FREDing something. Help ?
FREESPACE FREAK: "I usually count some two seconds per message editor line, and then adjust as required during testing."

Ooooh, that doesn't sound like enough to me. I never have a message any less than 4 seconds. It's like I think people may need that little bit of time to acknowledge the message is there and begin reading it. 4 seconds though, then 2 seconds per additional line might not be too bad a way to go though.

Offline Axem

New questions :

1) I need a friendly Orion to destroy a smaller friendly cruiser with its beams, but as long as I don't change the target iff, it does not start firing... How can I do that ?

If I order the Orion to chase the smaller cruiser, the destroyer starts moving to do the job... I would prefer for it not to move, and only use its exposed beam turrets. Any ideas ?

2) And how do you fredders know how many seconds to count between messages ? I tried reading the lines myself to know exactly how much time it takes, but is there a better method ?

3) Any ideas to make Amazon drones a bit more dangerous ? (I don't want to make them really dangerous, it's about a space station sending Amazons to a cruiser because they a desperate and out of options, so I just want them a bit more interesting to shoot down.)

I thought about better AI (fury's AI), general.

I'm not sure exactly how to make a full suicide squad of Amazon drones rigged with explosives. I would need them to be dangerous for the player if he is too close when it explodes, and I want them to go kamikaze on a small cruiser.
The kamikaze part works ok, but I'm not sure for the full squad with explosives.

1. change-iff the cruiser to hostile then use change-iff-color so from the Friendly IFF side the Hostile IFF is colored 0 192 0 (the default color for friendly) and select the cruiser in the sexp.

2. It takes a bit of practice to figure out a good timing. For me, I range from 4-8 seconds. A 4 second delay is for very short quips, "What?" "I see." etc etc. 6 seconds is for around 1 to 2 lines of full dialog in the message text edit box. 8 seconds is for more than 2 lines, but I try to break up my messages so the player isn't bombarded by a bunch of text. Also use message beeeps!

3. Well kamikaze could work, but Amazon drones are pretty large ships compared to fighters. Easy shooting. If you feel brave enough  you could open up a pof editor and give it missile banks to unleash a ton of missiles! (and adding a new ship class of course)

You can modify the table, create another Amazon drone, I created a Amazon Mark II, not to original but well i needed something apart from original. And then you can change the hit points, increase them and also increase the top velocity.

Edit: Just a really noob modder talking, maybe the pro one can give you a better example :D