Author Topic: Volition Sold  (Read 14411 times)

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
Volition will do a Dead island style game in Freespace universe so zombie vasudans here we come!
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
You mean between those that would like to create a new forum to deal with FS3, those that would rather everything FS stays at HLP, those that will think FS3 ruined FS, those that will think FS3 is better than FS1 and FS2, those that will think we should port all FS2 mods to FS3, those that will think we should stop developing FSO, those that will think it is good FS3 brought new people, those that will think it invalidated all post-Capella mods...

Oh look, I've already come up with more than half a dozen ways for the community to tear itself up in about 30 seconds. You've got enough or you want me to go on ? I've just started to scratch the tip of the iceberg here.

The community is not going to tear itself up.  That is completely without foundation or precedent.  The most likely scenario is that General FreeSpace Discussion will be revitalized with a plethora of new threads on a regular basis on comparative canonicity, possible ways to retcon popular campaigns, alternate universe scenarios, is FS3 the best thing since sliced bread or the worst thing since Windows Vista, etc.  It is also possible that we may need to create a new General FS3 Discussion board for these specific things.  But to say the community would tear itself apart is utterly ridiculous.

Where was the "controversy" about Awakenings when FS2 came out?  Where were the people saying "I'll never play ST:R and the community should never accept it because it's contradicted by Silent Threat"?  Where are the people telling MjnMixael he's wasting his time on BtA because everyone knows FS2 is the most recent story?

The most "controversy" this community has ever had are the fires that pop up every once in a while saying "X should be the community's FS3".  Recently, people have been saying it about Blue Planet.  Several years ago, they were saying it about Inferno.  If BWO had been released in 2006, they would have been saying it about that.  None of those arguments came anywhere close to disrupting the community.

The only threat to the community is if Volition's new publisher decides that FreeSpace mods shouldn't be permitted and starts coming after HLP.  So far I haven't heard anyone talking about that.

Offline Lorric

I think the threat is hollow. I could have dreamed up all the stuff that's been said, but I dismiss them.

Surely people around here are too smart to let such things get in the way, right? I think this place would simply need to expand to incorporate FS3 material, and that would be all that would be required.

And Post FS2 scenario campaigns wouldn't suddenly become garbage due to a true canon being created. If you absolutely had to think in those terms, the best thing would be to consider them "What If" or "Alternate History" scenarios.

People debate about these kinds of things all the time for actual history. "What if General X didn't make that mistake, or General Y didn't die at X time..."

Offline Luis Dias

There will be no "Freespace 3", come on. It's dead.

Try turning on the brains for a moment people. Do you really think a modern company will produce a new game based on flimsy evidence that the genre is "wakening up" from its grave, then marketing it as a follow up, a sequel to a game that very few little people are even aware of it?

Are you even aware on how preposterously suicidal that project would be from the very start?

The *best* you can ever hope is a *new* franchise that will be marketed as such and leave as little confusion in the heads of potential buyers that it will be *not* a follow up of anything that they never played before. And that franchise is already being built by the guy who made Wing Commander.

Offline Lorric

To be fair Luis, I don't think anyone here really believes that. It's all just self-aware pipe dreaming and fantasising.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Waitwaitwaitwait. I'm surprised nobody's picked up on this. Koch Media owns Deep Silver, who helped co-develop most of the X-Universe games. If we're really going to blindly speculate about the potential for FS3, then Volition could have done a lot worse than to be acquired by a publisher who has a subsidiary with space game experience.
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Waitwaitwaitwait. I'm surprised nobody's picked up on this. Koch Media owns Deep Silver, who helped co-develop most of the X-Universe games. If we're really going to blindly speculate about the potential for FS3, then Volition could have done a lot worse than to be acquired by a publisher who has a subsidiary with space game experience.

I posted about it back on page -

- hrm apparently there are two threads on this topic

Offline Gloriano

• silver dracon
  • Machina terra
I have nothing but bad feelings because all of a sudden everyone and their kitchen sink is getting ideas about the Freespace license, be it on the dev side or the fan side. And NOTHING good can come from that.

If FS3 happens or even seems it could happen, I give days before the community fragments itself to oblivion. This is really scaring me to the highest level.

I'm at a point where I'd rather Volition had been closed instead.

I mighty be a wrong person to say this all the years i been here i can say HLP is a very strong community and if there would be a FS3 (i doubt we ever seen it) the community would just grow stronger i mean just look at the people here what they are capable of, and in 2004? the united front against Derek smart it was something awesome even if nothing happened.
You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star.- Nietzsche

When in despair I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won; there have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time they can seem invincible, but in the end they always fall.- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline Drogoth

The odds of them coming after HLP for making mods are very low methinks.

If they make an FS3 they kind of owe us for keeping the base alive this long anyways. It just doesn't seem like something they would do.

'Those jerks are writing fanfiction for a game that came out 14 years ago! TAKE EM DOWN!' <--- Seems kind of silly.

Also I kind of think the FS3 would be more of a boon to the community then a deathblow. Think about it. We've been compiling Freespace related stuff forever. We have a comprehensive wiki, experienced players, oodles of discussion for the lorehounds, and mods and old backstory for the people who start new at FS3 and want to learn more. If anything I think HLP is poised to become the premier hub for all things FS in a much larger community, should FS3 come out and make this series popular again. I doubt Volition would even try to prevent that. Vibrant and natural communities like this are always better for building a game's popularity and appeal then a ham fisted company developed site that no one likes. 

This is of course, IF it comes out. And yes, while I am an undying fan of the old games (we're coming up on the 15th anniversary guys!) I am firmly in the camp of wanting FS3. What's the worst that could happen? It's bad? Whatever. Do you really think the people here at HLP are gonna let a little thing like ****ty canon stop them from writing damn good alternate reality mods?

Edit- I am also salivating at the new tools that may be available for said mods with a brand new game.
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Seriously, there's a certain massive franchise that's a prime example against the idea of, "The terrible sequels ruined the original!"  And that's with the creator of said franchise doing his damnedest to ruin said originals over more than a decade.  In the incredibly-unlikely event that something ever came out, and in the compound-unlikely event that it was horrible, we'd just do the same thing as with that franchise: pretend that the new product doesn't exist, and blissfully continue about our business.  And who knows, maybe we'd even cook up a Plinkett-style review of it. :p

Offline Lorric

Seriously, there's a certain massive franchise that's a prime example against the idea of, "The terrible sequels ruined the original!"  And that's with the creator of said franchise doing his damnedest to ruin said originals over more than a decade.  In the incredibly-unlikely event that something ever came out, and in the compound-unlikely event that it was horrible, we'd just do the same thing as with that franchise: pretend that the new product doesn't exist, and blissfully continue about our business.  And who knows, maybe we'd even cook up a Plinkett-style review of it. :p

And what franchise might that be?

Offline Drogoth

I think he meant the terrible prequels. That should clue you in :P
TC 2 Fan club for Life

Offline KyadCK

• Getting better with every game
    • Minecraft
    • Steam

Oh come on, he wasn't even trying to hide it...
Freespace Wallpapers     BluePlanet Multi     Minecraft Deimos Build Log
Need help setting up Multi? Then join us on the Multi-Setup IRC channel!
Computers only fear those who know how to use them

Offline Lorric

Star Wars? It did come to mind. I wondered if it might be a straight gaming franchise though. Now with the prequels mentioned, what else could it be? But I don't understand the thing about the creator trying to bury his own creation (Eps IV, V and VI) Why would you do that? I just watched the films, and played some Star Wars games. It doesn't really go much further than that with me.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
Well - who shot first?  Hmmm?  :P
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline Lorric

Well - who shot first?  Hmmm?  :P

Tch. There's something I didn't know. Han always opened fire first for me. There's no reason to change that, Greedo just basically tells Han he's going to kill him.

Oh and let's not forget the idiocy of the fact that a bounty hunter must therefore be unable to hit a man at point blank range.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well now we all know who's been living under a rock for the past ten years. :p

Offline Lorric

Hey-hey-hey! If I've never seen it, I've never seen it.

Did they do anything else to them?

Offline vamitul

Speculations at this point are mostly useless, but with two very high profile space-sims in the making (Star Citizen and Elite:Dangerous) and a dozen smaller ones listed on Kickstarter we might see a resurgence of the space-sim genre.
Space Citizen raised almost 8 mil. $ from crowdfunding alone and that is about 60-75% of the budget of a typical AAA game (single platform). This shows quite a large interest for this so-called "dead" genre. It also generated a lot of media attention so if any one of this games is succesfull, big studios an publishers will jump on old and new franchieses in the blink of the eye. So it makes sense, if that happens, that Koch Media will resurrect in some form FS. What form that "resurrection" will take is anyone's guess right now. One problem is that DeepSilver has quite a history of releasing buggy games (i.e. Gothic 3, Dead Island, Risen), on the other hand, even those games were quite good in their own rights.
One caveat... there is no mention, as far as i know, so far, that KochMedia actualy brought the rights for FreeSpace. From what i remeber  :v: does not own the IP rights for FS so..
In 1807 Dracula was feeding with the blood of young virgins.
We are sorry to report that in 2007 Count Dracula was found dead in his mansion, due to extreme starvation.

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

Hey-hey-hey! If I've never seen it, I've never seen it.

Did they do anything else to them?

Hooboy, did they ever! :)

Some of it was kinda cool (new flight scenes for the attack on the 1st Death Star), others were pretty bad (new voice for Boba Fett, new Anakin ghost, just to name some of my personal bugbears)
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...