Author Topic: Question: Open source tools and infrastructure?  (Read 6766 times)

Offline Echelon9

Question: Open source tools and infrastructure?
I'm seeking comments on a aspirational thought I had:

How much of the FS2Open modding infrastructure and tooling is wrapped up in platform-specific binary programs?
Why is this the case?

Since the open sourcing of the engine, we've seen a reasonably proliferation of cross-platform support for the main engine. However, it seems to date that the tooling, such as packers/unpackers, asset pipeline converters and editing tools remain Windows binaries.

Putting aside FRED, which already has an established open source, cross platform project, I'm interested to see which other parts of the asset creation pipeline are restricted to Windows binaries.

The goal is to map each to an open source scripting solution, such as say Ruby or Python, once I know what's out there.
While I know the main engine code pretty well I've never taken a deep look at the surrounding tools and infrastructure.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Question: Open source tools and infrastructure?
Already started, using Python.  Could use some help if you're willing and able:
http://code.google.com/p/blender-pof-support/
http://code.google.com/p/wxvp/
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
MajaExpress for VP editing is written in Java and thus is cross platform
I think that PCS2 is also cross platform C/C++ as well?
Some of the ANI creation tools are windows only
(wx)FRED you've mentioned

What other tools are there?
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
Debian Packages (testing/unstable): Freespace2 | wxLauncher
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Original FS2 tools

We need a new pilot viewer program, there used to be one for retail pilot files.
As stated, an ani builder/viewer would be useful.
Maja and PCS2 should pretty much cover all model and vp related needs cross-platform, although PCS2 might not actually be compiling on all platforms yet.  Probably need to work on that.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Compiling PCS2 is non-trivial on Linux, mainly because of the Collada DOM. The last stable version (2.2) relies on ancient versions of boost, and later versions (2.3 and 2.4) are a complete mess.

Is MajaExpress still (supposed to be) working? I recall I had it working a while ago, but for the life of me I can't remember how I did it :blah:

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
I've been using MajaExpress to extract data from VPs for ages and it works fine.  I haven't tried to create/modify a VP with it though.
Creating a fs2_open.log | Red Alert Bug = Hex Edit | MediaVPs 2014: Bigger HUD gauges | 32bit libs for 64bit Ubuntu
----
----
m|m: I think I'm suffering from Stockholm syndrome. Bmpman is starting to make sense and it's actually written reasonably well...

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
How do I use Maja to extract the data from the VPs? I tried doing that once, but it gave me a bunch of files that needed to be extracted in the .jar. I was using the Ubuntu variant Lubuntu.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Compiling PCS2 is non-trivial on Linux, mainly because of the Collada DOM. The last stable version (2.2) relies on ancient versions of boost, and later versions (2.3 and 2.4) are a complete mess.

compiling pcs2 on any platform is non-trivial. i still dont know how to pull it off and ive been trying on and off for several years. id love to see projects files, instructions, a list of dependencies and their configurations, etc.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class
How do I use Maja to extract the data from the VPs? I tried doing that once, but it gave me a bunch of files that needed to be extracted in the .jar. I was using the Ubuntu variant Lubuntu.

Hmmm.. well, for a complete walkthrough (apologies in advance if this is too basic!)

• install OpenJDK 1.6.0_24 from the ubuntu repositories (any version 1.6 or later will probably work)
  • Run using this command line: java -jar /path/to/MajaExpress085.jar
  • Project -> Import Package (select VP from the filesystem)
  • Right click on the files or directory that you want to export in the left hand pane (under Entries Tree)
  • Select "Export Directory"
  • Select a destination to export to
----
----

Offline Spicious

• Master Chief John-158
I build PCS2 with MSVC 2008 with boost 1.44, ColladaDOM 2.1.1, wxWidgets 2.8.10 and some pre-built version of DevIL.

The better long term solution is probably to switch a different XML library.

• install OpenJDK 1.6.0_24 from the ubuntu repositories (any version 1.6 or later will probably work)
  • Run using this command line: java -jar /path/to/MajaExpress085.jar

Code: [Select]
~$ java -version
java version "1.7.0_09"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.4) (7u9-2.3.4-0ubuntu1.12.10.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)
~$ java -jar MajaExpress085.jar
Exception in thread "Main" java.awt.HeadlessException
at java.awt.GraphicsEnvironment.checkHeadless(GraphicsEnvironment.java:207)
at java.awt.Window.<init>(Window.java:535)
at java.awt.Frame.<init>(Frame.java:420)
at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(JFrame.java:218)
at MajaGUI.MajaFrame.<init>(MajaFrame.java:20)
at Maja.MajaApp.<init>(MajaApp.java:17)
at Maja.MajaApp.main(MajaApp.java:154)

:( Could Java 1.7 have broken it?

The better long term solution is probably to switch a different XML library.
Probably yes, given the state the Collada DOM is in right now... Would it be a lot of work?

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

:sigh:  yes, Java is notorious for breakage between versions, even in minor point/bugfix releases - I think my previous statement was probably a little too optimistic. I don't suppose ubuntu kept a 1.6 release in the repos?
----
----

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
Do these look relevant?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5362512/unable-to-run-java-gui-programs-with-ubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1659097

EDIT: Based on these threads, try getting the openjdk-7-jre package from the Ubuntu repos.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:43:29 am by jg18 »

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
It looks like compiling PCS2 on OSX is at least theoretically possible, unfortunately I can't test this since wxWidgets won't compile :mad:, which is to say nothing of the other dependencies...

Offline niffiwan

• Eluder Class

:sigh:  yes, Java is notorious for breakage between versions, even in minor point/bugfix releases - I think my previous statement was probably a little too optimistic. I don't suppose ubuntu kept a 1.6 release in the repos?

Do these look relevant?

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5362512/unable-to-run-java-gui-programs-with-ubuntu

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1659097

EDIT: Based on these threads, try getting the openjdk-7-jre package from the Ubuntu repos.

Well, that's a prime example (from me) of letting your prejudices get in the way of thinking - good thing that you're around jg18 to set the record straight! :)

FSF - here's the packages I have installed:
Code: [Select]
$ dpkg --get-selections | grep openjdk
openjdk-6-jre install
openjdk-6-jre-headless install
openjdk-6-jre-lib install
----
----

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
It looks like compiling PCS2 on OSX is at least theoretically possible, unfortunately I can't test this since wxWidgets won't compile :mad:, which is to say nothing of the other dependencies...
Check the wxWidgets wiki and wxLauncher readme for ideas on how to build wxWidgets on OS X. You might also want to try wx 2.8.12 (which wxL is built with) instead of 2.8.10.

Well, that's a prime example (from me) of letting your prejudices get in the way of thinking - good thing that you're around jg18 to set the record straight! :)
No problem. :)

Offline blowfish

• Join the cult of KILL MY ROUTER!!!!!!!!!!1
Check the wxWidgets wiki and wxLauncher readme for ideas on how to build wxWidgets on OS X. You might also want to try wx 2.8.12 (which wxL is built with) instead of 2.8.10.

:eek: That actually worked!  And that's after spending hours trying to make several versions work with several combinations of configure flags work yesterday.  I suppose it has something to do with the sdk...  Thanks! :)

Apparently I have both Java 6 and 7 installed (J6 seems to be a JabRef dependency). Yet that particular package was missing. You are awesome :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 02:31:32 pm by FreeSpaceFreak »

Offline Echelon9

Yup, this is exactly what I had in mind. We should get in touch.

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Yup, this is exactly what I had in mind. We should get in touch.

Feel free to email or PM me. :)
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub