Author Topic: Defenses on Battlestars seem too good -- what am I doing wrong?  (Read 2978 times)

Offline Wumpus

Defenses on Battlestars seem too good -- what am I doing wrong?
Hi all. I'm a first-time FREDer and my goal is to make a few co-op missions for Diaspora. I've attempted to read all the available instructions and FAQs, but it's possible I've missed some.

One of the bits of advice I read somewhere was that one should put cap ships in the mission first, try to balance that pretty closely, then add fighters -- this way the fighters (and thus the players) can be the deciding factor in the fight.

But in my early testing here, it seems that a battlestar (sobek class) can defend itself easily from multiple base stars because the flak arrays kill all the incoming cylon missiles. I just watched a battlestar prevail and take not a single hit, while killing a base star very quickly.

I was thinking I could add some raiders with orders to kill flak turrets on the battlestar, and maybe that would allow the missiles to get through. But I thought this might be a good excuse to stop lurking and register over here to ask what other people do to help the cylons compete?

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Re: Defenses on Battlestars seem too good -- what am I doing wrong?
:welcomered::welcomeblue::welcomegreen::welcomesilver::welcomepurple::welcomeyellow:

That's what it's all about, add stuff... Experiment, play with Fred (The editor) and tweak it all around til you have something yo like :yes:

I say, add a few raiders (apparantly their missiles are quite amazingly good and had to be disabled for release 1, but i might be completely wrong)
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Try cranking up the base ship AI class and cranking down the battlestar. I don't know if this'll work for Diaspora weapons though.

e: pilot AI level not turret AI level, turret AI does nothing at all

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Some things to try:

- Use the 6pack regular torpedoes and 2pack versions of the heavy torpedoes. More torp spam means more gets through.
- Multiple basestars attacking from the same side.
- Raiders actively taking out turrets

Offline Wumpus

Thank you all for the warm welcome and good ideas, will try some of that tonight. :)

Offline Hallbog

I cant wait to play this once you have it balanced.  Personally if you have to have several basestars vs one battlestar thats fine with me!  It would be more fitting with the show as well.

Offline festivefire

• I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
    • Minecraft
sorry for bump but its relevent. The cylons main advantage is numbers versus the colonials equipment. Its simmilar to tie fighers versus an x-wing. we all know the xwing could kill one within seconds, but an entire squadron could cause trouble. multiple basestars, as well as hordes of fighters would have a chance at really f**king up a battlestar.
Digital Fire