Author Topic: Dog Fight + Team V Team  (Read 1213 times)

Offline CenturionModel0005

• Original Centurion
Dog Fight + Team V Team
:warp:
Hi All I am very New to Diaspora and the Fred Editor
I currently Play BSGO On the Virgon Server And Run A Wing Of Strike.
At least 1 night a week we call a truce with the Colonial and arrange a meet in a quiet sector
to allow us to set up either 1 v 1 or Team v Team It is a loot of work as others who know what we are trying to do come a long to try and get easy kills.

Then last week I found Diaspora Straight away I could See that this is what we need
I can host a server from my dedicated box
I can make the arenas just how we need them Active asteroid fields(That is a really Nice touch)
So My Question is Can some one please tell me the minimum items need in FRED to make a Dog Fighting Map and Team v Team Map

Dog Fighting Map:
1st Do I have to place all ships in the editor to start example 32 Vipers + 32 Raiders all Marked as Playable ?
2nd Is there a re spawn ?
3rd Is there a rearm ship + Repair Ship

What I am looking to do is set up a Dog Fighting Map With all the 2 sides items placed opposite each other say 10k apart and then in the Middle Make the actual fighting area this way it will allow me to Make several versions like Active asteroid fields or Nebular , or a battling Basetstar + Battlestar I thought It would be easier and faster to make.
Once I have Made the Dog Fighting Map What extra Items Would need to placed on the same Map to make it a Team V Team Type Map

Many thanks for any help you can share this is truly the best space sim I have ever Played

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Dog Fight + Team V Team

So My Question is Can some one please tell me the minimum items need in FRED to make a Dog Fighting Map and Team v Team Map

The minimums are pretty low.
  • Set the game to multiplayer from the Mission Specs Editor.
  • Place more ships and set them to be player ships from the Ship Editor
  • Put them in wings (Alpha and Zeta by default for TvT, Alpha, Beta and Gamma for Dogfight but you can change that in the Mission Specs Editor).

Apart from that, the Diaspora Extended Walkthrough should cover almost everything else you need to know.

1st Do I have to place all ships in the editor to start example 32 Vipers + 32 Raiders all Marked as Playable ?

Missions are limited as follows

Coop - 12 players
Dogfight - 12 players
TvT - 2x4 players

2nd Is there a re spawn ?

Yes. Set the number of respawns in the Mission Specs Editor

3rd Is there a rearm ship + Repair Ship

The engine supports both but we never added on to the game. Both are reset when you die anyway.

What I am looking to do is set up a Dog Fighting Map With all the 2 sides items placed opposite each other say 10k apart and then in the Middle Make the actual fighting area this way it will allow me to Make several versions like Active asteroid fields or Nebular , or a battling Basetstar + Battlestar I thought It would be easier and faster to make.

While working for BtRL I made about 9 such missions in under an hour just to prove I could. Mission design takes time once you start having events. If you're just making a simply mission like this, it shouldn't take you too long either.

Once I have Made the Dog Fighting Map What extra Items Would need to placed on the same Map to make it a Team V Team Type Map

The main difference is the wing names setup I mentioned above. Apart from that, they're the same for basic missions.

Many thanks for any help you can share this is truly the best space sim I have ever Played

Glad you're enjoying it.

[/quote]
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline CenturionModel0005

• Original Centurion
Fantastic Reply Great work.
How can this all be Free Is there some secret code running in the back ground that only my brain can see and you are really reprogramming my mind  :drevil:

Great engine
Great Mod
Great Game Play
Great SDK
Great Forum Support
What's the catch

Top class Guys Please keep it up :yes:

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Steam
    • Something
No catch, just an awesome developer that released its game's source code for non-commercial use, and a bunch of awesome individuals who have spent who knows how many hours over the past decade working with it. :)