Author Topic: Bigger CB Editor?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I understand that until 3.7 comes out there won't be much in the way of features added, but I'd like to at least ask if this is feasible, easy, and would be generally welcome.

Could someone on the coding team make the FRED Command Briefing editor in bigger, or manually scalable?  It might have been appropriately sized back during the 640x480 days, but its quite tiny now.

Thanks.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Same for the debrief window, please. If possible or not too much hassle.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Wouldn't this be an SCP request and not a modding request? Regardless, wxFRED is making some progress as well and I suspect that's where this issue will end up if progress continues.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Working with FRED is a code nightmare so this will probably best be handled in wxFRED.

Offline Axem

Actually just adjusting the size of a text field would be very easy (for the people who can compile FRED).

I don't see any reason why both couldn't have larger windows.

But be sure to make any requests you have for wxFRED here!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I can see this being no more than a few minutes to do. If no one objects I'll fix things and commit it for 3.7 (I know we're not supposed to be adding new features but resizing windows is so trivial that it hardly seems like an issue).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
I can see this being no more than a few minutes to do. If no one objects I'll fix things and commit it for 3.7 (I know we're not supposed to be adding new features but resizing windows is so trivial that it hardly seems like an issue).

You could argue it's fixing a bug (editor windows are too small). The line between something being fixing a bug and it being adding a feature can be blurry, after all.

But be sure to make any requests you have for wxFRED here!

I dunno if Mantis is a good place for requests. As taylor put it:
Quote from: taylor
Mantis is for bugs, not feature requests. If you have feature requests then use the forums to drum up support for them.

Since wxFRED is now an active project, maybe it's time for this idea to be put into action and give wxFRED its own board?

Offline Axem

z64 suggested putting any feature requests there while he's working on it, so I'm just repeating what he told us annoying "add this add that"s on #scp. :P

Kara, I've already got some local changes to the fred.rc file that increases the space for command briefing/briefing/debriefing editors.

http://pastebin.com/FS22puMm

Just need to make sure that tiny-screen FREDders can still see the entire window, I guess?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Given that I'd be making any changes on my netbook rather than my main PC, I think we're fairly safe. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Option 1 - Make the size bigger but only a bit bigger so to accommodate people who have to run at a lower resolution
Option 2 - Make the window manually scalable by the standard grab-the-edge/corner-with-the-mouse-and-move-it technique
Option 3 - Include a number of size options that the user can select in a drop-down menu, similar to how zoom and turn speed can be selected
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!