Author Topic: Volunteering..  (Read 1934 times)

Hi guys
I'm volunteering for people who needs help with his project, or in general, help with other fields I will mention below.
For now going on a trial for one week since the moment I start to to help someone and will see how it goes and if it will not be too taxing for me, but the maximum time for my volunteering will last until somewhere near the end of February.
I prefer to work with people who are online and available to chatting so that I can coordinate/cooperate with them and so that I won't get bored and will receive some feedback (and some attention as well, :) ) .. my preferred timezone is European timezone (GMT+0)

My main plus and biggest strength is three years in C++ programming experience in a software company. (however, I'm not familiar with free-space codebase, and I did not yet work with such a huge code-base before)
I can also compose musics, but I am just an amateur and not a professional or working in that area.

So I can :
- Help with things that are C++ related
- Help you program your own C++ projects
- Teach you C++ and help you with difficulties
- Give you general feedback, although it takes a lot to get me entertained ;)
- Compose musics (take note that I am an amateur and it takes me much time to make something - i can give you musics i have composed in the past, for reference)
- Help you with video editing/effects (for an example, mission briefings) (I'm even less than amateur in that area, but I think that with enough effort you can get things that look worthwhile)

What I'm not willing to do :
- Work 90%-95% or more alone (such as like people are usually developing open-source projects, some are working 100% alone)
- learn how to FRED
- Hit and run jobs (for an example : a guy PMs me and asking me to download his project, and to run a debug session and to be a beta-tester, then I send him a log of the results, he says "thx" and disappears) - sorry, too boring and violates my 90-95% alone rule..

PM me if you think i can help

Also, please don't move my topic to general discussion.. as it meant for volunteering for people who are doing some kind of product (a mission, a campaign) and less geared towards general population..

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Exile
AFAIK, Diaspora Team is looking for good C++ coders to work for Diaspora. Check their thread if You are interested: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php?topic=78266.0
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline AndrewofDoom

• In A.D. 2366 war was beginning
  • Permanent yuri goggles.
    • Twitter
You say you can compose music. Is there any examples of your work you can show to the world?
My Efforts:
SF Knight

20:08:19   AndrewofDoom: Though I find it mildly disturbing that a loli is giggling to mass destruction.
20:10:01   Spoon: I find it mildly arrousing
20:10:07   AndrewofDoom: Woah
20:10:15   Spoon: sound like my kind of loli
20:10:21   Spoon: and im not even a lolicon

Offline NeonShivan

• Previously known as BTA
  • By the Omnisiah's grace.
There seems to be a lack of a certain "WELCOME TO HLP" sign here...

...and when you say video editing/effects, be more descriptive. Do you mean you can make ANI files such as CBAnis cause if that's the case I myself and Inferno could use people for that.
In German even the most beautiful love letter sounds like an execution order -Mito

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \ All the Single Ladies

( •_•)
\(  (>
  /  \ All the Single Ladies

(•_•)
 <)  )/
 /  \  Oh Oh Oh

Author of Dusk Wars - A modification for Freespace 2.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
:welcome:

Always cool to see a newbie who's keen to help out. I'm sure with those skills it wont take long before someone finds something for you to do. :P Hell, if you were in my time one I'd probably try to snap  you up myself. :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline esarai

• Steathy boi
Dude hit us with some samples of your musical compositions, musics are always good.
<Nuclear>   truth: the good samaritan actually checked for proof of citizenship and health insurance
<Axem>   did anyone catch jesus' birth certificate?
<Nuclear>   and jesus didnt actually give the 5000 their fish...he gave it to the romans and let it trickle down
<Axem>and he was totally pro tax breaks
<Axem>he threw out all those tax collectors at the temple
<Nuclear>   he drove a V8 camel too
<Nuclear>   with a sword rack for his fully-automatic daggers

Esarai: hey gaiz, what's a good improvised, final attack for a ship fighting to buy others time to escape to use?
RangerKarl|AtWork: stick your penis in the warp core
DarthGeek: no don't do that
amki: don't EVER do that

Dude hit us with some samples of your musical compositions, musics are always good.

while musics are always good, the question is whether you have a reason to make new music that is special for your project, since you can mostly get music from other sources, which is already made and probably better than mine..

anyways, Sent PM

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter

while musics are always good, the question is whether you have a reason to make new music that is special for your project, since you can mostly get music from other sources, which is already made and probably better than mine..

anyways, Sent PM

That's not really the point. Sure, we can source music from all manner of places, but when you do that, you always run the risk of running into licensing issues. Original compositions generally do not have that problem.

If you are interested in coding for the SCP, I would recommend checking out our board, the #scp IRC channel on esper.net, and of course our bugtracker.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

There seems to be a lack of a certain "WELCOME TO HLP" sign here...

...and when you say video editing/effects, be more descriptive. Do you mean you can make ANI files such as CBAnis cause if that's the case I myself and Inferno could use people for that.

I'm guessing any kind of video file can be converted to .ANI file at the end. So I can TRY to make one. note that again I have very little experience with video editing, and my results may be scrawl.. but Im willing to help in that area.

Also - to everyone else who is waiting for my response, I sent you personal message.