Author Topic: Cockpits and their importance  (Read 9849 times)

Offline Nemesis6

• Tongs
Cockpits and their importance
A lot of people are into immersion, and cockpits further that very much at least for me. The cockpits that are available are hackjobs at present, so I'm wondering if you guys here at the upgrade project have ever considered putting more effort into upgrading cockpit models? I saw a thread where hud indicators were showed to finally work within the cockpit; radar, target indicator and so on, so I figured I'd ask you guys' take on this.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Re: Cockpits and their importance
Not being part of the FSU project, I can only give my opinion, but I'd remind you that a lot of people aren't all that into immersion, and that making custom cockpits for every single fighter would probably double the development time for new ships. Not exactly something I think many would consider the best use of skilled modder's time.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
What BW said is a partial answer for FSU.

The one thing to know about FSU is that we don't mandate that artists work on any particular project. In fact, historically, the FSU team has been more like gatekeepers rather than content creators. Joe Schmoe community member has typically been the main content creator. This has changed somewhat more recently, but the contribution model is still the same.

FSU and non FSU artists alike work on whatever project they find interesting. All finish assets go through the same scrutinizing before being put into the main MediaVPs.. even models done by FSU artists. (But since we act as gatekeepers, we've just gotten very good at making sure our assets will be viable replacements from the get-go.)

What this means for this thread is that your question is somewhat misdirected. It's not up to FSU artists to upgrade everything about FS2, it's just up to us to organize and make it reliable. If you want cockpits for ships in FS2, you should ask the community as a whole (this includes FSU artists) to make cockpits, or make them yourself. Find someone who is interested in such a project to make it happen. This might be someone in FSU, it might not.

FSU isn't opposed to cockpit models, but to my knowledge, none of the current FSU artists are interested in spending time on such an effort.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Oddgrim

• I like building stuff.
    • Art Thumblr
Cockpits are a iffy prospect at best, little to gain for a lot more work (speaking off personal testing  and is partial the reason why the htl-Amun took so long.). As of now for example if you are going to use the experimental shadows plugin for FSO and the ship cockpit, you probably will not see anything or very litte, depending on angle to nearest light source and how enclosed the ship cockpit is. I theorised at the time in my mind if there was some way of lighting the area up the benefit would be fair to say insubstantial.
[GhostOfMjn: I can provide hi res vasudan ass]
[Hades]: we have so much in common we should bang.
My models page:
http://p3d.in/u/Oddgrim

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am all for a community project to build cockpits for those who are into them, but I have to get behind the consensus in this thread so far - they do not belong in the MVPs, even as an optional package.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
tl:dr : it's not up to FSU. Artists can do it if they wish, or they can not. As usual, all the work that ends up in the MVPs is strictly voluntary.

Or doesn't end up in the MVPs, although I doubt that's the heart of the problem here, the question seems more about creating the assets in the first place for people who enjoy cockpits, than their hypothetical integration in the MVPs.

I theorised at the time in my mind if there was some way of lighting the area up the benefit would be fair to say insubstantial.
Faint baked glowmap on the whole inside of the cockpit seems the simplest and best-looking solution. Not necessarily the least time-consuming mind you. (As a side note, if someone was gonna suggest it, my personal experience with glowpoint lighting as a light source source strikes me as inappropriate in this case, both performance-wise and (mostly) visually.)
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Cockpits are a iffy prospect at best, little to gain for a lot more work (speaking off personal testing  and is partial the reason why the htl-Amun took so long.). As of now for example if you are going to use the experimental shadows plugin for FSO and the ship cockpit, you probably will not see anything or very litte, depending on angle to nearest light source and how enclosed the ship cockpit is. I theorised at the time in my mind if there was some way of lighting the area up the benefit would be fair to say insubstantial.

A good in-game cockpit is a separate model rendered around the eyepoint so shadows are not an issue. The show ship flag is the wrong way to do it.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

I certainly want to support any artists and modellers from trying to make highly detailed and functional cockpits, metaldestroyer77's videos, Oculus Rift and Space Citizen are reasons why I'd really like to see more and more development there. Nonetheless as said by others in the thread it's going to have to be a very optional and independent addition so that those that don't want to use cockpits don't have to have them fully rendered on a ship.

The Cockpits: One Stop Shopping thread seems to be moving in that direction at any rate, so that's encouraging to see.
I'm all about getting the most out of games, so whenever I discover something very strange or push the limits, I upload them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/JCDentonCZ

-----------------

"Do you begin to see, then, what kind of world we are creating? It is the exact opposite of the stupid hedonistic Utopias that the old reformers imagined. A world of fear and treachery and torment, a world of trampling and being trampled upon, a world which will grow not less but more merciless as it refines itself. Progress in our world will be progress to more pain."
- George Orwell

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I'd gladly use a custom external cockpit pack for FSO. Lack of cockpits was a major flaw of FS2 for me, pretty much all other space sims had some form of cockpit view (well, except WC4, but that didn't stick). I believe that such a pack would go a long way towards immersion in FS, especially now that we have RTT and nothing stops us from putting everything (except maybe the reticle, unless HUD is also modeled) on the actual displays.

Offline fightermedic

• quite a nice guy, no really, i am
how about this? only one cockpit for all ships so far, but could be a start i'd say
>>Fully functional cockpits for Freespace<<
>>Ships created by me<<
Campaigns revised/voice-acted by me:
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,
Pandora's Box 2.2, Deep Blood

Other Campaigns I have participated in:
The Antagonist, Warzone, Phantoms & Echo-Gate

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Directives could go above the radar, I think, and you could probably fit wingmen monitor on the far left panel and time on the far right one. It's a good start, sure.

Offline fightermedic

all the empty spaces on the panels are filled with displays that are simply not visible at this point, like the enemy's shields on the left empty panel
>>Ships created by me<<
Lightning Marshal 1-4, The Regulus Campaign, Operation: Savior, Operation: Crucible, Titan Rebellion, Fall of Epsilon Pegasi 1.1Aftermath 2.1,

All the stuff I release is free to use or change in any way for everybody who likes to do so; take whatever you need

Hey that's great!
Where can we download this more advenced version of the cockcpit hud?
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline fightermedic

give me a few more days, it will be included in my remake of the lightning marshal campaigns that are about to be released any day now
i will also release a idependent mod that includes the new cockpits then
>>Ships created by me<<

In this case, i'll give you your few more days !
^^
$Formula: ( every-time
   ( has-time-elapsed "0" )
   ( Do-Nothing
   )
   ( send-message
      "#Dalek"
      "High"
      "Pro-crasti-nate"
   )
   )
)
+Name: Procratination
+Repeat Count: 99999999999
+Interval: 1

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

A good in-game cockpit is a separate model rendered around the eyepoint so shadows are not an issue. The show ship flag is the wrong way to do it.

Not totally agree. Sure with separate model we can have much more poly, much more details etc... but you lose your ship awareness. I mean, when you open fire, you won't see your laser coming out from your ship cannon.  Your laser will be desynchronize with the main ship models. I don't know how to explain that, but I wish you could picture it. :)

If you look to Steve-O fighters, despite the low texture resolution and the low poly, the integrated cockpit with the show ship flag give some pretty good result.
Here a video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp12YViGsV4&feature=player_detailpage&list=UUBYPfRlHRh38bHVykagnqrw#t=164s

Offline fightermedic

the guns are a non issue, they would look almost exactly the same if a seperate cockpit would be used. what makes this video so great is track IR, you wouldn't notice any difference beyond some very very minor ones, if this was a cockpit model and not show ship

the only thing you need is a really well made and !ship specific! cockpit model
would you be to use one of those, you would also see for example the ships wings, becaue they would be part of the cockpit model if they can be seen from the cockpit of that ship and the cockpit is well made
>>Ships created by me<<

Offline fightermedic

have been playing around a bit more:

>>Ships created by me<<

Offline Venicius

• Be gone, ruffian!
    • Minecraft
Those look really good!

Offline Al-Rik

Those look really good!

I agree. What .exe did you use, the one from Diaspora ? And have you increased the resolution of the cockpit texture ?
IMHO it looks much better than before.

While adjusting the HUD to the generic cockpit I have runned in some problems with FS-Port (because of the changed HUD Gauges and the different names of FS1 Ships), so two version of the mod are needed, one version for FS2 and an other for the FS-Port.