Author Topic: Having another problem with the Launching my Viper.  (Read 4849 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Re: Having another problem with the Launching my Viper.
Okay, I took a look at the missions and you'd basically made a couple of silly mistakes which were causing the problem. While I could just flat out tell you what you did wrong, I think it's better if I just hint and put the actual solution in spoiler tags (When it comes to debugging I strongly encourage teaching someone how to do it instead of simply doing it myself).

Mistake 1)

This is in the first half of the FLUSH event ( A repeating event)

when
- >
--InLaunchTube[1]
-when
-- =
---InLaunchTube[1]
--play-sound-from-file
--set-camera-shudder
--set-mobile
--modify-variable
---InLaunchTube[1]
-when
-- =
---InLaunchTube[1]
--modify-variable
--set-object-speed-z

The second of the inner when SEXPs is what actually launches the viper and it's not actually being triggered. Look at the rest of the SEXP and you should soon see why.

Spoiler:
The first inner When will set the value of the variable to 0 instead of 2. As a result the outer when will always fail from then on.

Mistake 2)

You'll only see mistake 2 once you fix mistake 1 and run the game. The problem is caused by your velocity going up too slowly because you've forgotten to do something.

Spoiler:
You forgot to set the interval time to 0. It's currently set to 1 which means that the viper will get 1 metre/second faster every second rather than every frame.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

thank you!!!! I fixed the problem I figured it out. :) now my next question is there a tutorial on how to launch a Viper squadron? or do I use the same concept I did for the player viper?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Pretty much. There are some things you obviously don't need to do when dealing with AI ships.

can you give some examples?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Well you don't need to put the ship under AI control for one. :p

OK, so when I set up the AI viper for launch, what command do I give it to launch in the SEXPs?

would I have to create another event for that in the event editor? im sorry to be asking so many questions, I am still a Novice at this, and I want to learn as much as I can about Creating my own missions, and Launching and Landing Squadrons.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yeah, you'd need another event. The best thing to do is get hold of a VP viewing program and look at how the Diaspora team did it. Check the Tools forum and you'll find quite a few.

VP viewing programs?

where can I find the tools Forum?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Here's one but no one has built it for Windows yet apparently. There are more on that forum. Using that will allow you to open the .vp files that contain all the Diaspora data. You can then extract the missions and open them in FRED. Looking at how other people made their missions is one of the best ways to learn how to do it yourself.

Whatever you do though, don't ever change the contents of one of the Diaspora VPs.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2013, 09:59:49 am by karajorma »

I downloaded VPviewer32, where can I find missions that other modders have created?

Offline newman

I downloaded VPviewer32, where can I find missions that other modders have created?

They're in the same sub forum as this thread :)
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb