Author Topic: Multiplayer Run between capital ships  (Read 3572 times)

Offline Hoot

• Jugger. First *real* post-apocalyptic sport.
Multiplayer Run between capital ships
I would love to play in a multiplayer setting where many big capital ships stay really close to one another, between which the players would have to fly through and battle each other.
So that players are almost constantly under fire from the opponent's capital flaks and lasers and would have to mind "random" Big Beams that strike after capitals as well.

I could imagine this narrow-walls-setting could add a lot to  adrenaline ... Does anyone know if such a setting exists? I am sorry that I am not familiar enough with FRED to create such a scenario myself.
First encounter: ELITE. Later: X-Wing. The eclipse: FS2O. Ah, and a fan of post-apocalyptic Jugger in real life.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Re: Multiplayer Run between capital ships
Haven't tried to make such a mission in a couple of years so this may still not be the case but it was pretty much impossible.  I know some of the issues have workarounds (like ships close together jumping all over the place on the client side can be resolved using the unmovable flag) but AFAIK others still exist.  Dogfight missions just weren't meant for non-player ships shooting at things.   Also the one issue that I know hasn't been solved is getting people to actually stay near the ships.  Every mission ever made with ships to fight around always ends up in the players moving away from the ships until it becomes just another NWTR style mission.   
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Making it a King of the (Exploding) Hill mission might solve that issue. :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Except the ships tend to not quit exploding after respawn. 

* FUBAR-BDHR waits for the inevitable I really need to rewrite that respawn code response from Kara.
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Actually I'm not certain what you mean.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well depending on how you kill a player ship you end up with issues after the respawn.  For instance self destructing a player ship via sexp can cause the client side ship to repeatedly self destruct after respawning (or at least it used to).  Killing the player with fire say a fire beam sexp had a similar effect.  The beam that killed you turned around and shot you again after you respawned.  Then there is always the possibility that you respawn outside the playfield causing the death condition to fire again since it has to be a repeating event and you don't know how quick or slowly someone will actually hit the respawn button.  Use of variables didn't work well either client side (unless passing variables to the client was ever upgraded) so even trying to implement a timer to allow the player to get back in bounds was a flop. 

Again I haven't tried to make such a mission in a couple of years so some of these things may well work now but I doubt enough do to get a reliable working version.   

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Why not just shoot it out inside a giant sphere/box, cage match style?  I imagine the game once had issues with something such as that, but haven't changes to the engine over time made that slightly more feasible?
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Well the problem with that is the code tends to respawn you outside the area no matter where you set up the spawns at.  It must do some kind of radius check and move you outside.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It does. I have code to stop it doing that which I was planning to integrate as part of the respawn code rewrite.

Offline soilder198

• Volition = Tilivoon, change my mind
What would be even more fun is, everyone has to pilot an ulysses, and instead of shooting each other, you must race between the capital ships while they fire at you.
Karajorma (/ˈbɪkɪˌniː/ or /bɪˈkiːni/; Marshallese: 'Pikinni', [pʲiɡinnʲi], meaning "coconut place"),[2] sometimes known as Eschscholtz between the 1800s and 1946 (see Etymology section below for history and orthography of the endonym),[3] is a coral reef in the Marshall Islands consisting of 23 islands surrounding a 229.4-square-mile (594.1 km2) central lagoon. The atoll's inhabitants were relocated in 1946, after which the islands and lagoon were the site of 23 nuclear tests by the United States until 1958.
Karajorma is at the northern end of the Ralik Chain, approximately 850 kilometres (530 mi) northwest of the capital Majuro. Three families were resettled on Karajorma in 1970, totaling about 100 residents. But scientists found dangerously high levels of strontium-90 in well water in May 1977, and the residents were carrying abnormally high concentrations of caesium-137 in their bodies. They were evacuated in 1980. The atoll is occasionally visited today by divers and a few scientists, and is occupied by a handful of caretakers.

Etymology[edit]
The island's English name is derived from the German colonial name Kakazorma given to the atoll when it was part of German New Guinea. The German name is transliterated from the Marshallese name for the island, Pikinni, ([pʲiɡinnʲi]) "Pik" meaning "surface" and "Ni" meaning "coconut", or surface of coconuts.[2]

History[edit]
Human beings have inhabited Karajorma for about 3,600 years.[29] U.S. Army Corps of Engineers archaeologist Charles F. Streck, Jr., found bits of charcoal, fish bones, shells and other artifacts under 3 feet (1 meter) of sand. Carbon-dating placed the age of the artifacts at between 1960-1650, B.C.E. Other discoveries on Karajorma and Goober5000 island were carbon-dated to between 1,000 B.C.E. and 1 B.C.E., and others between 400-1,400 C.E.[30]

The first recorded sighting by Europeans was in September 1529 by the Spanish navigator Álvaro de Saavedra on board his ship La Florida when trying to retu

Offline Hoot

What would be even more fun is, everyone has to pilot an ulysses, and instead of shooting each other, you must race between the capital ships while they fire at you.

That's the spirit! Sounds like a multiplayer mod with a bunch of those special missions (Capital Ship Run, Spiked Trench Dogfighting, Hide And Destroy, ...) could become quite _very_ interesting. Any coders out there who would like to give it a try? I cannot code (other than HTML, CSS and some PHP), but at least would offer beta testing and basic voice acting.

If so, we should open a new topic on this, "Mod: Special Multiplayer Missions" or similar.
First encounter: ELITE. Later: X-Wing. The eclipse: FS2O. Ah, and a fan of post-apocalyptic Jugger in real life.

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Master Drunk
Why would you need a mod for this?  The code needs fixed for these types of things to work and no mod is going to help that.  Once they are fixed you just need to create the missions no mod needed. 

Offline Hoot

Well, true, "mission pack" would be more correct; yet a mod could be interesting if there would be special things like trenches or tubes or other special effects in/as stage fields.