Author Topic: Complaining about Java  (Read 3638 times)

Offline Kopachris

• send penguins
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Re: Complaining about Java
unless someone is going to develop and maintain an alternative multi platform launcher the programming language discussion is a mute discussion as it wont change anything, where as Goober's launcher which is getting along nicely in it's development will make a real difference once it is complete.
What's wrong with wxLauncher?

(Note to self: Start working on wxPython launcher?)
----
My Bandcamp | Discord: Kopachris#0001 | My GitHub

Offline jg18

• A very happy zod
  • can do more than spellcheck
He meant installer.

As for developing an alternate to Goober's installer in something other than Java, it's much easier to port a working installer than it is to write one from scratch. Thus it might be best to wait until after Goober's installer is released and available for long enough to be confident it works.

And yes, headdie is probably right that the non-Java discussion is veering off topic, although if the split includes my post, then I'll have to copy over the parts that weren't Python-related.

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I dont know why on earth I said launcher when i meant installer  :blah:
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
O.
M.
G.

He wrote it in.. JAVA?! OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

He must start over! YES. He must. Disregard all posts and threads about how we need an installer. Using Java is bad taste! Delete it. Start over! We can wait.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Your Java cables are too thick.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Seriously?
Yes, seriously.  Reread what I said in the post before yours.  I'm quite aware of all the Java security advisories, especially considering I program in Java for my day job.  I said that I'm unaware of anyone having a problem with the fact that the Installer was written in Java, until this thread.

I would have imagined you to have reservations about using Java after all these months of Java security issues being in news, not just in internet but also in papers and tv. I am honestly quite amazed this is not the case. People who have Java installed must be record low as of now, thanks to all that news drumming.
As I said, I program in Java for my day job, and nobody is more than mildly concerned.  We've disabled Java applets in our browsers, of course, but we are continuing to go full speed ahead on all of our programs, collaborative projects, and research efforts.  All of which are written in Java.

And... thread split.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Fair enough. Would it be too much to ask if when no Java is present on the computer, user would at least be given a choice whether he wants to install Java system-wide or just for the installer? In the latter case, JRE would be downloaded to wherever the installer is and no admin privileges are required to run the installer and no java plugin would be installed to any browser.

Or don't give user a choice and go with the latter option always.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
What? :wtf:

1) The FSO Installer does not install Java.  Java is required to run it in the first place.

2) The FSO Installer doesn't give the user a "choice" in this situation; he makes his own choice as to whether and how he wants to install Java.  It's the user's responsibility to disable Java in his browsers.

3) The FSO Installer doesn't require administrative privileges for anything.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
1) I was hoping it wouldn't be a jar file as Windows doesn't know what to do with them if Java isn't installed. You know many java apps for Win platform are exe files and have JRE included. I don't know if http://launch4j.sourceforge.net can do what I described, but at least it can embed JRE.

3) It does if no Java is installed and doesn't have its own JRE.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The download will be provided as simply a jar file.  If Java isn't installed, the jar file won't do anything.  It will either run, or it won't run, without admin privileges.  If your argument is that the FSO Installer requires admin privileges because you need them to install Java, that's as ridiculous as saying that Notepad requires admin privileges because you need them to install Windows.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That comparison is way off. But eh, I give up.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, I have to point out that even Minecraft wraps the launcher in an exe for Windows and an app for OS X.  Linux is the only one that has to run a plain jar file.  If we can do that such that it's a small enough file it might improve the user experience.
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays