Author Topic: Video Game Character/s you cared about the most  (Read 9504 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Video Game Character/s you cared about the most
Like most aspects of Battlefield 3's story, that was cribbed from somewhere else that did it better.

Well, if you want to go about stuff like that than pretty much everything younger than ancient Greece is a ripoff :P

This is a myth that people like to parrot defensively, but it's thoroughly untrue. Ancient Greek stories covered a fairly narrow range of structures and dramatic devices.

Battlefield 3's single player plot actually does a couple interesting things, but much of it is an unremarkable pastiche - sometimes down to the line by line dialogue - of Generation Kill and Call of Duty 4.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 01:07:32 pm by General Battuta »

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Everybody with the slightest interest in the military should read Generation Kill.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I'd also suggest War by Sebastian Junger
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I really liked Malik from Human Revolution. I think I even went to the trouble of saving her in all my playthroughs.
The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell.

Offline Lorric

I'm gone two days and this is what happens to my thread while I'm away? Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk...  :lol:

Okay, I'll throw in someone else to restore the balance. I was thinking of making a badasses thread, but this is the only guy that stands out to me. I can't really say I "care" about him, but he's not the first badass to appear in this thread, and I very much like him as a character. Morgan Bernhardt, the player character from Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and it's sequel: Warhammer: Dark Omen. Hoo boy, now there's a guy who can make you believe his army would follow him absolutely anywhere. I love his character.

"You're going into hell, Bernhardt!"
"I was born there."

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
The greatest Warhammer badass - Commissar Holt Final Liberation

Offline Gray113

Special mention also goes out to the Tallarn and Volistad commanders that had a conversation in the middle of a sandstorm.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xH9rtQLn2s

Offline Luis Dias

Sarge in Quake 3. I was deeply concerned with his fate after the initial cutscene. That blue **** happening to him seemed painful. Then he reappears as a usual bot playing against me. Why? What I have done against him? Really gut wrenching and misterious.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I'm gone two days and this is what happens to my thread while I'm away? Tsk tsk tsk tsk tsk...  :lol:

Okay, I'll throw in someone else to restore the balance. I was thinking of making a badasses thread, but this is the only guy that stands out to me. I can't really say I "care" about him, but he's not the first badass to appear in this thread, and I very much like him as a character. Morgan Bernhardt, the player character from Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat and it's sequel: Warhammer: Dark Omen. Hoo boy, now there's a guy who can make you believe his army would follow him absolutely anywhere. I love his character.

"You're going into hell, Bernhardt!"
"I was born there."

Oh man, was that a good game.

Never understood why there weren't any sequels.

And you only got the White Grail for 2 missions :(
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Split out a bunch of pointless bull****.  Don't make me have to do it again.

Offline Mika

The Nameless One - Planescape Torment

Actually, pretty much anyone who joined the party in that.
Relaxed movement is always more effective than forced movement.

Offline Gray113

Mika,

Fall from grace was my favorite. The scene where the brothel music plays as she battles the Transcendent One was a work of art.

Morte was just awesome though. Those oneliners that he would come out with  :)

I would have to place Planescape as the most emotional game I have ever played. Even thought it has been a few of years since I played it I still think about random passages from the game - just the other day I was thinking about the scene where the nameless one meets Adahn.

To think of the imagination that went in to creating this masterpiece of a game.