Author Topic: [UPDATED 2013/04/02] wxLauncher Voice-Over Casting Call (Cancelled)  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
[UPDATED 2013/04/02] wxLauncher Voice-Over Casting Call (Cancelled)
wxLauncher Voice-Over Casting Call (Cancelled)

Due to the low response to this call, the wxLauncher Team has decided to cancel this feature

The wxLauncher Team feels that a nice voice-over is required to enhance usability before moving wxLauncher from Alpha to Beta. As such, we're now looking for a voice actor to help us add that extra touch of user-friendliness.  As a reminder of the standards to which you will be held, keep in mind that wxLauncher has changed lives. Given our current download counts, as the voice you should expect to be heard by thousands of players, tens of thousands if you include TCs that use wxLauncher.

Audition Lines (5 lines):
  • File: viewlist.ogg
  • "To view a list of available mods, you must first select the root folder of an FS2 Open game on the Basic Settings page."
  • File: nodelete.ogg
  • "The default profile cannot be deleted."
  • File: running.ogg
  • "FS2 Open is now running..."
  • File: noexist.ogg
  • "Default profile does not exist! Creating..."
  • File: save.ogg
  • "Save changes to profile before exiting?"

Please use .ogg (Ogg Vorbis) audio file format, 16-bit stereo, 44100 Hz. No other format will be accepted. You can use Audacity to record your voice and export to .ogg format. Please make sure you save your lines using the exact filenames provided. Please send the auditions to [email protected] (per email attachment limit is 10MB).

Accents are fine as long as it is your native accent (no funny accents, please! :P) and the accent is understandable to English speakers.

Enthusiasm is a must! No one wants to sit through a dreary voice-over! But don't overemote. Use your natural voice. Please be sure to speak clearly, slurring and mumbling do not help usability.

We will add the selected voice actor to the "Authors" page in the wxLauncher built-in help manual.

We think the directions are pretty straightforward, but if you have questions for some reason, post them here.

Thanks, and we're looking forward to hearing your submissions!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 11:06:54 am by Iss Mneur »
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Re: wxLauncher Voice-Over Casting Call (lead up to beta release)
Dat April fool.

But voice in a launcher ? Wat.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Bravo, sir, bravo. Best out of the three April Fool's pranks so far! Though I'm still waiting for the admins to do something...
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Cyborg17

• Life? Don't talk to me about life....
Almost fell for it.  :blah:

*shame*

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well ****ing done.

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
Re: [UPDATED 2013/04/02] wxLauncher Voice-Over Casting Call (Cancelled)
That is good to hear. Though I cannot take the credit, it was jg18's scheme.

And honestly, when it was first brought up I was not really convinced that it would work or be that convincing.
"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams
wxLauncher 0.9.4 public beta (now with no config file editing for FRED) | wxLauncher 2.0 Request for Comments

Which brings up the interesting question... do blind people play computer games? And if yes, what kind?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
And honestly, when it was first brought up I was not really convinced that it would work or be that convincing.
Would have been more convincing in the Voice Acting forum. Not that it would have helped much anyway.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Yarn

How many people actually sent in voice files for this call? And what did the response e-mail look like, if there was one?
"Your fighter is running out of oil.  Please check under the hood and add more if necessary"
--strings.tbl, entry 177

"Freespace is very tired.  It is shutting down to get some rest."
--strings.tbl, entry 178

Offline Iss Mneur

• TODO:
How many people actually sent in voice files for this call? And what did the response e-mail look like, if there was one?
As far as I can tell no one did, probably could have suckered someone if we this was in a forum that gets more views.  At that though, the BP VA only got 3 auditions in 48 hours after posting the call on three high traffic boards, so I had nothing planned to send as a response anyway.

Which brings up the interesting question... do blind people play computer games? And if yes, what kind?
In general, they do. Of course it depends on nature of the blindness. Off the top of my head, one of my Corp mates in EvE Online (when I played long ago) was legally blind, I don't recall the nature of his blindness, it honestly didn't come up often.  I also remember hearing about a guy that played, some FPS (I want to say Call of Duty) with the 5.1 sound cranked up.  But just Google it, there are many stories.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I actually tried playing an audio-only game that someone had created for the completely-blind.  As you'd expect, it was immensely challenging, and I didn't really get anywhere with it.