Author Topic: Disney Kills LucasArts  (Read 5000 times)

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
Re: Disney Kills LucasArts
still want my battlefront 3

Pretty much this
"No"

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
I'm actually not disappointed LA disappeared. I felt much of their products have declined to a state where they really weren't worth half-a-damn, which is a shame.

...Does anyone know what the rights are with respect to LA intellectual property? I assume it now simply belongs to Disney, though one may be hoping for glorious abandonware.
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
They didn't kill LucasArts, they took it to the vet and had it put down. Now we can enjoy our wonderful memories of playing with it in the park without it constantly whining in pain, throwing up on the carpet and occasionally....WHAT THE **** IS THAT SMELL!
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I was going to make that comparison but I don't think enough people have watched Old Yeller. :p

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
It's defs vintage :P
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

I just hope Koch Media puts out the winning bid for a new X-Wing game and they hand the reins off to Volition. :D
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

I just hope Koch Media puts out the winning bid for a new X-Wing game and they hand the reins off to Volition. :D

Ha ha, that would be awesome!

I was going to make that comparison but I don't think enough people have watched Old Yeller. :p

I never have, but I still got the reference. I even knew exactly where that still was from, despite never having seen it. Though to be fair, I do live in the US.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I don't think Volition is currently in a state where they would be able to do a good space sim. There's noone left from the FS crew. I'd rather if someone fails a new X-Wing, it not be a company I love :/
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I don't think Volition is currently in a state where they would be able to do a good space sim. There's noone left from the FS crew. I'd rather if someone fails a new X-Wing, it not be a company I love :/

The most important part of making FreeSpace 2 awesome is still there!

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Raven has released the source code to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy: http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-closure-convinces-developers-to-release-awes-468994505

We need to get Totally Games to do the same with the X-Wing games.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Oh wow. Source code to Jedi Academy. That game was a huge part of my life for years!

*Downloads.*
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline Luis Dias

Man, this brings me back.

And that's the point. The fact that it "brings me back" tells me this company hasn't been doing anything remotely interesting for the past years.

So the canning is welcome.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Raven has released the source code to Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy: http://kotaku.com/lucasarts-closure-convinces-developers-to-release-awes-468994505

So that's like the bit where we find out Old Yeller had puppies then. :p

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
someone psoted this:

I think people jumping on the "who cares, they haven't made a decent game in the last decade/this isn't news" are missing the point: the end of Lucasarts means a definitive end to an era.  It's that sense of finality, that the company which brought us some incredible games, is finally gone.  Functionally it had been over for a long time, certainly since the development staff were culled, but that doesn't mean such a concrete action as this isn't pretty significant.  It would be like complaining a celebrity on life support died after several months "not being news" because they might as well have been dead.

I agree....
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
It would be like complaining a celebrity on life support died after several months "not being news" because they might as well have been dead.
... it would indeed not be news, so I don't see what is actually your point here ?
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I think people jumping on the "who cares, they haven't made a decent game in the last decade/this isn't news" are missing the point: the end of Lucasarts means a definitive end to an era.  It's that sense of finality, that the company which brought us some incredible games, is finally gone.  Functionally it had been over for a long time, certainly since the development staff were culled, but that doesn't mean such a concrete action as this isn't pretty significant.

I agree....

Seconded, it's a very good point. It doesn't matter whether or not LucasArts hasn't achieved anything in the past few years; it's still the end of an era.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
it's still the end of an era.

The era was over when they released X-Wing Alliance. Pretending that the time after that point really counts as part of "the era of Lucasarts" is just insulting the memory of what the company once was.

The end of the company cannot signify the end of their era unless they went out in the fashion that they came in. Plenty of people have had their eras end before they themselves.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter
They didn't kill LucasArts, they took it to the vet and had it put down. Now we can enjoy our wonderful memories of playing with it in the park without it constantly whining in pain, throwing up on the carpet and occasionally....WHAT THE **** IS THAT SMELL!

Pretty much this.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]

Offline MP-Ryan

• Makes General Discussion Make Sense.
  • Global Moderator
  • Keyboard > Pen > Sword
    • Twitter

Is HLPs general audience really that young?  That movie is a classic.  So's the book.
"In the beginning, the Universe was created.  This made a lot of people very angry and has widely been regarded as a bad move."  [Douglas Adams]